Supplemental Draft

candyman93

I think it’s time I just make this it’s own thread. The supplemental draft in 2020 might be the largest in nfl history due to 1 question:

If College Football is officially cancelled or significantly delayed before the supplemental draft, does that qualify as putting ones upcoming season in jeopardy?

If the answer is yes, you will see a flood of potential guys. Here are the big names who would be eligible:

Marvin Wilson Florida State JR

Shaun Wade Ohio State RS SOPH

Alex Leatherwood Alabama JR

Tamorrion Terry Florida State RS SOPH

Pat Freiermuth Penn State RS SOPH

Alaric Jackson Iowa RS JR

Jaylen Twyman Pitt RS SOPH

Josh Myers Ohio State RS SOPH

Trey Smith Tennessee JR

Chuba Hubbard Ok State RS SOPH

Wyatt Davis Ohio State RS SOPH

Walker Little Stanford JR

Patrick Jones II Pitt RS JR

Hamsah Nasirildeen Florida State JR

Thomas Graham Jr Oregon JR

Camryn Bynum Cal RS JR

Paulson Adebo Stanford RS SOPH

Carlos Basham Jr. Wake Forest RS JR

Kylin Hill Miss State JR

Damonte Coxie Memphis RS JR

Tyler Vaughns USC RS JR

Rakeem Boyd Arkansas JR

Brady Breeze Oregon RS JR

Paddy Fisher Northwestern RS JR

Charlie Kolar Iowa State RS SOPH

Journey Brown Penn State RS SOPH

Cade Otton Washington RS SOPH

The head of the NCAA doesn’t expect fall sports if there are no students returning to class. The NCAA’s primary fear is:

1. Being sued.

2. Insurance companies pulling out and not wanting to provide for athletes. This is a bigger deal than people realize and might be the deciding factor.

3. The optics of athletes catching the virus and possibly losing their life.

• Like 1

I just don't see CFB cancelling anytime soon.  If they push things off, there will be a delay but no decisions against.  There is too much riding financially on CFB, every effort will be made.  If there's no season, the future of so many major universities are so screwed. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I just don't see CFB cancelling anytime soon.  If they push things off, there will be a delay but no decisions against.  There is too much riding financially on CFB, every effort will be made.  If there's no season, the future of so many major universities are so screwed. 

The problem I see arising is with insurance companies.

If you’re an insurance company, why the hell would you want to provide coverage to CFB players when this is going on? The whole CTE thing already scared off a lot of them.

Edited by candyman93

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/25776964/insurance-market-football-evaporating-causing-major-threat-nfl-pop-warner-colleges-espn

From the NFL to rec leagues, football is facing a stark, new threat: an evaporating insurance market that is fundamentally altering the economics of the sport, squeezing and even killing off programs faced with higher costs and a scarcity of available coverage, an Outside the Lines investigation has found.

In 5 years, we may find ourselves here doing little more than trading recipes.  

12 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/25776964/insurance-market-football-evaporating-causing-major-threat-nfl-pop-warner-colleges-espn

From the NFL to rec leagues, football is facing a stark, new threat: an evaporating insurance market that is fundamentally altering the economics of the sport, squeezing and even killing off programs faced with higher costs and a scarcity of available coverage, an Outside the Lines investigation has found.

It’s a major reason why the nfl wants to make football more finesse and pass oriented.

7 hours ago, candyman93 said:

It’s a major reason why the nfl wants to make football more finesse and pass oriented.

Yep.  I've been researching an episode for my podcast about the issue of concussions and CTE in Australian Football, now that there is some evidence beginning to show it becoming a problem there as well.  

9 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Yep.  I've been researching an episode for my podcast about the issue of concussions and CTE in Australian Football, now that there is some evidence beginning to show it becoming a problem there as well.  

people can function well with a limited amount of brain damage from contact sports, its when it gets terrible that it becomes an issue. Everyone who has played football/rugby has had concussions, and if you have had more than 1-2 there will be slight residual affects from it. I got a concssion in 2016 from work and it still has some impact on my life, but I can still do my job, raise kids and do whatever. Except hand aroudn in certain places with a lot of noise. 

22 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

The NFL can set up a captive, mutual insurance company for its teams and maybe even offer "membership" to and collect premiums from NCAA programs.

15 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Not trying to be a Debbie downer, but look at the NBA.

It has zero clue what to do and in theory, it should have been the easiest team sport to start up again.

I give college football less than 20% chance of starting on time.

I think a big issue with the NBA is where do you pick up? 

Id assume it would just be with the start of the playoffs, perhaps an abbreviated playoff schedule, but players have been off for months now.  Do you just jump into playoff games after such a lay-off?  Idk?

I don’t see college football starting on time either.

32 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think a big issue with the NBA is where do you pick up? 

Id assume it would just be with the start of the playoffs, perhaps an abbreviated playoff schedule, but players have been off for months now.  Do you just jump into playoff games after such a lay-off?  Idk?

I don’t see college football starting on time either.

That part is actually not the biggest problem. They want to still finish the regular season (stupid imo) and then playoffs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

That part is actually not the biggest problem. They want to still finish the regular season (stupid imo) and then playoffs.

Yeah finishing the regular season is kinda dumb imo.

Start the playoffs, give the season a proper conclusion and move on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah finishing the regular season is kinda dumb imo.

Start the playoffs, give the season a proper conclusion and move on.

You’ll have to have a few warm up games and give bubble teams a shot. I’d rather cut into the players offseason and cut a month off next season. 

On 5/9/2020 at 8:35 PM, candyman93 said:

I think it’s time I just make this it’s own thread. The supplemental draft in 2020 might be the largest in nfl history due to 1 question:

If College Football is officially cancelled or significantly delayed before the supplemental draft, does that qualify as putting ones upcoming season in jeopardy?

If the answer is yes, you will see a flood of potential guys. Here are the big names who would be eligible:

Marvin Wilson Florida State JR

Shaun Wade Ohio State RS SOPH

Alex Leatherwood Alabama JR

Tamorrion Terry Florida State RS SOPH

Pat Freiermuth Penn State RS SOPH

Alaric Jackson Iowa RS JR

Jaylen Twyman Pitt RS SOPH

Josh Myers Ohio State RS SOPH

Trey Smith Tennessee JR

Chuba Hubbard Ok State RS SOPH

Wyatt Davis Ohio State RS SOPH

Walker Little Stanford JR

Patrick Jones II Pitt RS JR

Hamsah Nasirildeen Florida State JR

Thomas Graham Jr Oregon JR

Camryn Bynum Cal RS JR

Paulson Adebo Stanford RS SOPH

Carlos Basham Jr. Wake Forest RS JR

Kylin Hill Miss State JR

Damonte Coxie Memphis RS JR

Tyler Vaughns USC RS JR

Rakeem Boyd Arkansas JR

Brady Breeze Oregon RS JR

Paddy Fisher Northwestern RS JR

Charlie Kolar Iowa State RS SOPH

Journey Brown Penn State RS SOPH

Cade Otton Washington RS SOPH

The head of the NCAA doesn’t expect fall sports if there are no students returning to class. The NCAA’s primary fear is:

1. Being sued.

2. Insurance companies pulling out and not wanting to provide for athletes. This is a bigger deal than people realize and might be the deciding factor.

3. The optics of athletes catching the virus and possibly losing their life.

Not much chance this happens osu alumni could start there own insurance company and insure the entire NCAA.Then take there games off as a business expense.