Is the offensive line really that much of a concern?

The left side of that line is... ugly.

The right side is serviceable. But how many teams are serious contenders with just serviceable OLines? Let alone when half of it is less so? Sure they might not be the worst or even bottom 5, but I think it'll still be a liability for you guys.

20 minutes ago, Danger said:

The left side of that line is... ugly.

The right side is serviceable. But how many teams are serious contenders with just serviceable OLines? Let alone when half of it is less so? Sure they might not be the worst or even bottom 5, but I think it'll still be a liability for you guys.

Maybe, maybe not. All I know is that if we sign Jason Peters this forum would do a 180 off of just one signing, which I find pretty ridiculous.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Maybe, maybe not. All I know is that if we sign Jason Peters this forum would do a 180 off of just one signing, which I find pretty ridiculous.

No it wouldn’t. It would help Haskins out but what they’ve allowed to happen to this line is simply embarrassing for Kyle and Ron. There’s no way to spin this other than they’ve failed miserably this off-season as far as the OL is concerned. 

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Jason Peters is a lot better than any option we have at LT at the moment. 

20 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Jason Peters is a lot better than any option we have at LT at the moment. 

The point is that people right now are hating the entire OL mainly bc LT is a major question mark and I’m just pointing out the hypocrisy that just off of signing most in the forum would do a 180 about the entire OL.

Like if we still had Trent Williams, same thing. 

Of course there are always those who think a position group sucks unless you have entrenched 5 years starters at every position or high drafted players at every position too, which is unrealistic.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The point is that people right now are hating the entire OL mainly bc LT is a major question mark and I’m just pointing out the hypocrisy that just off of signing most in the forum would do a 180 about the entire OL.

Like if we still had Trent Williams, same thing. 

Of course there are always those who think a position group sucks unless you have entrenched 5 years starters at every position or high drafted players at every position too, which is unrealistic.

Hmmm... I might be missing something. I haven't read (nor have I meant to imply) that I think the whole line sucks. Scherff and Moses are fine anchoring down the right. Roullier is serviceable. It's the big *** question mark on the left....

15 hours ago, lavar703 said:

No it wouldn’t. It would help Haskins out but what they’ve allowed to happen to this line is simply embarrassing for Kyle and Ron. There’s no way to spin this other than they’ve failed miserably this off-season as far as the OL is concerned. 

So, drafting two OL and signing two vets with starting experience is embarrassing?

Maybe it's not enough, that's TBD when they are allowed to practice and then Rivera can determine if they need to sign an upgrade at LT.

This is like groundhog day. It takes me back to the days when we were switching to the ZBS under Shanahan and people complained that all we did was sign Kory L, Chris Chester and Tyler Polumbus and then we started Will Montgomery at center and most thought it was going to be a disaster and all that group did was block for Alfred Morris and RG3 while they broke team records rushing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

What about this youngish all-pro guard RG cut by the Sainrs-Larry Warford? Should we consider him. Move Scherff to RT or LG . Adding a quality O-line . No idea what he'd cost.

He's not athletic. He wouldn't fit in the ZBS, but since he's a name I'm sure people would want him.

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Hmmm... I might be missing something. I haven't read (nor have I meant to imply) that I think the whole line sucks. Scherff and Moses are fine anchoring down the right. Roullier is serviceable. It's the big *** question mark on the left....

I'm combining a bunch of people's thoughts, not just one persons.

Some are just focusing on the FAs we signed and are saying they are terrible. Some are saying that Moses is terrible and need replaced, and those people have been saying that for years. Others are complaining that we are overrating Roullier and he needs upgraded, they wanted a center drafted in round 3 or 4 of the draft. Others are saying what are we going to do about LG bc Martin hasn't played there before and hasn't played in this scheme and they are going to really be upset if Scherwitzer is staring. Others have said, what about next year? We don't know if Scherff will be back, and we have questions about every position beyond this year.

I've read all of this between several threads for months. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t think it would be a “180.” A 180 would be going from thinking the line is terrible to thinking the line is great. Even with Peters, I don’t think many folks are going to be satisfied with where we are at LG, Moses will still be a concern at RT for penalties and shaky play, and it’s also a shame that we can’t really even know what we’ll get from Scherff. 

What I think it would be is a sense of relief that they had added a reliable, proven option at the most important (and currently most questionable) position on the line.

I think Redskins fans have gotten a little spoiled, in that we haven’t seen much bad LT play for decades. It can be disastrous, but it’s the one bad thing we’ve been mostly spared from since Snyder took over. The worst week one starter we’ve had this millennium is 3x Pro Bowler Donald Penn. From 2000-2018, Samuels and Williams started 260 out of 304 games for us. The only time we’ve had anyone but Samuels, Williams, and Penn play even half a season for us was 2009, the fateful last season of Zorn. Samuels only played 5 games, and the rest was handled by Stephon Heyer and the corpse of Levi Jones. I think we all remember how that went. 

Signing Peters (or Beachum or even Penn) is not going to make this a great OL. But it moves us further away from the possibility of total disaster, and I think that’s really the key. All I really care about is making sure Haskins gets a fair shake and a real chance to show whether he’s the future. I don’t think he’ll get that if his blind side is collapsing and he’s hearing footsteps every time he drops back. Adding Peters gives us solid insurance against that happening, in the not unlikely event that the Lucas/Christian/Charles trio isn’t ready or able to do the job. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, e16bball said:

What I think it would be is a sense of relief that they had added a reliable, proven option at the most important (and currently most questionable) position on the line.

As simply put as possible to hit all the notes. 

I actually think the LT position is one of the most overrated in football.  Yes you need a quality starter there, but that can be said about every position on the field.  I know people are going to freak out on that statement but its true.  You don't need a first round pick at every spot on the Oline to make it a good Oline, and the top QBs in the NFL generally don't have LTs that were high first round selections.  We have 3rd (Christian) and 4th (Charles) round investments at the LT spot, those guys need the reps there.  And I don't have the opinion that we need to coddle Haskins by forcing a veteran at LT.  We spent draft picks on these tackles, its time to find out if they can play.  We will be better served developing our own talent than picking up other people's discarded scraps.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I actually think the LT position is one of the most overrated in football.  Yes you need a quality starter there, but that can be said about every position on the field.  I know people are going to freak out on that statement but its true.  You don't need a first round pick at every spot on the Oline to make it a good Oline, and the top QBs in the NFL generally don't have LTs that were high first round selections.  We have 3rd (Christian) and 4th (Charles) round investments at the LT spot, those guys need the reps there.  And I don't have the opinion that we need to coddle Haskins by forcing a veteran at LT.  We spent draft picks on these tackles, its time to find out if they can play.  We will be better served developing our own talent than picking up other people's discarded scraps.  

That's a refreshing take ! 

• Like 1