Is the offensive line really that much of a concern?

On 5/22/2020 at 9:59 AM, e16bball said:

Interestingly, he also references Saahdiq Charles, but suggests that the Redskins are planning to try him at guard as well

I brought this up when we drafted him.  His length isn't ideal for a NFL LT, but he could be great at LG.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

After his moderate success starting last year, I see it being a gamble similar to signing Darby.  

Darby was someone with a more proven history who has had injury plagued issues. He needed a prove it deal to get paid again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Darby was someone with a more proven history who has had injury plagued issues. He needed a prove it deal to get paid again. 

I mean, Darby has more potential than Lucas.  But the signings in general are similar.  I'm a bit surprised Lucas signed for two years with us though.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

John Keim was just on the Junkies and he said that he is hearing that the team wants Gerron Christian to get the first crack to win the starting LT job and that’s why they haven’t signed a vet yet. He said the only way he sees them signing a vet is if Christian is really awful and they don’t trust them at all. Keim also said he feels comfortable about about the LG position bc Wes Martin showed well when he played last year and they have the vet In Scherwitzer.

Of course Keim acknowledged that every OL position this year is a question mark but C. Injuries w/ Scherff have been a concern the last few years and he’s still on a franchise tag. Then, he of course agreed with the Junkies with the concerns regarding Moses and his injuries and inconsistent plays the last two years but acknowledged we have Lucas too. 

Edited by turtle28

To me, it looks like Moses has dropped 10-20 lbs, he looks in better shape. He may have done this bc Rivera challenged him to or bc we are switching to the ZBS and OL coach Matsko talked to him and the rest of the OL about what they should work on and that they should drop some weight to be quicker and more athletic.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

John Keim was just on the Junkies and he said that he is hearing that the team wants Gerron Christian to get the first crack to win the starting LT job and that’s why they haven’t signed a vet yet. He said the only way he sees them signing a vet is if Christian is really awful and they don’t trust them at all. Keim also said he feels comfortable about about the LG position bc Wes Martin showed well when he played last year and they have the vet In Scherwitzer.

Of course Keim acknowledged that every OL position this year is a question mark but C. Injuries w/ Scherff have been a concern the last few years and he’s still on a franchise tag. Then, he of course agreed with the Junkies with the concerns regarding Moses and his injuries and inconsistent plays the last two years but acknowledged we have Lucas too. 

So our saving grace this year rides on if Christian can do it or not? About what I figured the issue was at LT. 

25 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

So our saving grace this year rides on if Christian can do it or not? About what I figured the issue was at LT. 

That’s what you got out of that? Come on man... All Keim is saying is that Christian is going to get his shot and they want him to be the guy. There’s also a chance that Charles looks better or Lucas and also a chance that none of the LT options on our roster look good.

If none of those 3 look good then they’ll probably look to bring in a vet like Peters, Penn or Beachum. The hope though is that one of our two young OTs win that job and are the answer at LT for us for the next decade. That obviously is a best case scenario and I hope one that plays out.

Edited by turtle28

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That’s what you got out of that? Come on man... All Keim is saying is that Christian is going to get his shot and they want him to be the guy. There’s also a chance that Charles looks better or Lucas and also a chance that none of the LT options on our roster look good.

What else was I supposed to get out of that part of the o-line? It's my biggest concern.

30 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

What else was I supposed to get out of that part of the o-line? It's my biggest concern.

True, it’s everyones biggest concern on the entire offense. What I get out of it though is that they want Christian to be the guy bc that’s what Keim said. Now, if he, Charles and Lucas don’t look like they’ll be able to be the starting LT then, they’ll sign a vet LT. I see no harm in waiting, it doesn’t look like anyone is beating down Penn or even Beachum or Peters’ door right now. Again, I see no harm in letting the young guys compete for the job and if they aren’t comfortable with them then, they can sign Penn, or Peters or Beachum if they’re available.

They are not closing the door on signing a vet, but at this point they aren’t. Last year they didn’t sign Donald Penn until the end of July, right around when camp started. My feeling is that he, Beachum & Peters are all on their radar but they might not sign him at all and if they do, it won’t be until during training camp sometime.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

True, it’s everyones biggest concern on the entire offense. What I get out of it though is that they want Christian to be the guy bc that’s what Keim said.

I get it, but to me Christian hasn't done anything to make people believe he can do that. 

Now, if he, Charles and Lucas don’t look like they’ll be able to be the starting LT then, they’ll sign a vet LT. I see no harm in waiting, it doesn’t look like anyone is beating down Penn or even Beachum or Peters’ door right now. Again, I see no harm in letting the young guys compete for the job and if they aren’t comfortable with them then, they can sign Penn, or Peters or Beachum if they’re available.

This offseason is weird. I'd rather be prepared now, rather than scrambling in a post COVID world for something. Who knows what difficulties may lay out there?

Last year they didn’t sign Donald Penn until the end of July, right around when camp started. 

That's fair to remember. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 9:49 AM, turtle28 said:

To me, it looks like Moses has dropped 10-20 lbs, he looks in better shape. He may have done this bc Rivera challenged him to or bc we are switching to the ZBS and OL coach Matsko talked to him and the rest of the OL about what they should work on and that they should drop some weight to be quicker and more athletic.

I've always thought the criticisms on Moses from fans were overblow.  But I think Moses is on the bubble for being cut if the massive cuts of veteran players near the end of their deals does indeed come, as many are projecting.  So the more work he is doing now, the better his chances for sticking with the Redskins, as well as showing potential new employers that he is putting in work. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update on the “wait to sign a vet LT until we see if these guys suck” plan, Jason Peters (PHI) and Kelvin Beachum (ARI) have both signed on with teams. 

This leaves Donald Penn, Greg Robinson, and Cordy Glenn as the remaining “could play LT” options on the market. Robinson is pending trial for getting caught possessing 157 pounds of marijuana while crossing the Mexican border. Cordy has missed 10+ games in two of the last three seasons and basically got himself kicked off the Bengals last year. There’s always Penn.

Sure hope they’re right about this. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, e16bball said:

Just a quick update on the “wait to sign a vet LT until we see if these guys suck” plan, Jason Peters (PHI) and Kelvin Beachum (ARI) have both signed on with teams. 

This leaves Donald Penn, Greg Robinson, and Cordy Glenn as the remaining “could play LT” options on the market. Robinson is pending trial for getting caught possessing 157 pounds of marijuana while crossing the Mexican border. Cordy has missed 10+ games in two of the last three seasons and basically got himself kicked off the Bengals last year. There’s always Penn.

Sure hope they’re right about this. 

It was interesting to see Peters sign with Phila and be told he’d be playing guard, aka replacing Brandon Brooks. That could all change though, they may end up needing him at LT.

I’m still concerned about LT but, I do believe in giving young prospects true chances to start as well. I can’t imagine that Christian, Charles and Lucas will all 3 be unplayable at LT, but that could be a wrong thought as well.

• Like 1