Do you actually like your O-Line, Offensive and/or Defensive Coordinators?

EvilenFroggen

With a few notable exceptions, it seems like at any given moment the majority of fans hate at least one if not all of the titular list. For the Panthers, Norv Turner got loads of hate for his play calling, despite the fact that through it Cam had the highest completion percentage of his career until TJ Watt effectively ended his career.  It seems that if your defense is not the ‘85 Bears and your offense is not the ‘07 Patriots, your staff is garbage. 

So my question is, is anybody actually happy with your O-Line or coordinator performance? 

Edit: I apologize for my lack of clarity. I meant your OC and/or DC, then your O-Line itself, the three perennial punching bags of NFL fans. 

Edited by DaveDX

Cowboys finally got rid of Marinelli and overrated Kris Richard, so I am pretty stoked about ANYONE different but Mike Nolan and Jim Tomsula should be good

Kellen Moore getting to work with a guy like McCarthy and getting away from Jason Garrett is all anyone could ask for

Bones Fassel on S/T - yes please

• Like 1

Dan Roushar, the Saints OL coach  has done a great job and is widely respected by fans who know of him. I don’t expect casuals to pay attention.  He started In 2013 as our TE coach and moved to RB (maybe I have that backwards) and worked his way up to OL coach/blocking coordinator.

Saints consistently have a great offensive line, Roushar deserves a ton of credit.

Ryan Nielsen has led our defensive line to take big strides in recent years. That’s another place we always seem to be solid at worst with quality rotational guys. He deserves a ton of credit too, improvements have been noticeable.

OC Pete Carmichael is a tough read. He’s been here with Payton since 2006, starting as the QB coach. He’s obviously got a ton of experience and is a bright guy, but it’s hard to separate his success from Brees and Payton and know how much credit to give him.

Hell, people don’t know how much credit goes to Drew vs Payton, so figuring out where Carmichael works into the equation is downright impossible. My guess is he’s not all that important as a talent, but as a guy who has been in the system almost 15 years he’s probably almost irreplaceable.

DC Dennis Allen is hit or miss. He’s been an HC, he’s been a DC for long time, people know what he is. I’m not unhappy with him by any means, but he’s not a guy that I think needs praise heaped on him. 

He’s made some absolutely brilliant play calls, and motivated our guys into the best defense Saints fans have seen since the 90s. He’s also made some boneheaded decisions and fielded units that looked like they couldn’t care less.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 2

Coordinators, definitely, with the caveat that any offensive coordinator under Reid is probably going to be fine. I liked Bieniemy when he was just our RB coach as well though, so I do genuinely think highly of him. Never had the same feel for Nagy, for comparison. For Spags, there was plenty of reason to be skeptical when we hired him, but I think it's hard to doubt the work he did last year. Our D improved dramatically as the season went on, we got strong performance out of several less than spectacular players just through proper usage, and he did a fantastic job of adjusting as the season and games went on. Offense stole a lot of the spotlight, but the defense stepped up in every one of the comebacks as well. If we don't fire Sutton and hire Spags, we don't win the superbowl. I'm very confident of that.

OL coach is okay. Heck has been around for quite some time. Was hired along with Reid back in 2013. Think he was the Jags OL coach for about a decade before that. He does a fantastic job of making just about anyone we throw out there functional. We've run with a lot of mediocre vets and low round draft picks during his tenure, and we seem to consistently get average to slightly above average performance out of them. When they get overpaid to move on elsewhere, they almost all disappoint as well, with Rodney Hudson being the one guy who was great here and great elsewhere. But he pretty much just seems to get passable play out of everyone. With the exception of Schwartz, who was elite when we signed him, the OL always just kind of treads water. Not going to whiff on a ton of blocks, but not going to blow open holes in the run game either. It works, but it isn't excellent.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Coordinators, definitely, with the caveat that any offensive coordinator under Reid is probably going to be fine. I liked Bieniemy when he was just our RB coach as well though, so I do genuinely think highly of him. Never had the same feel for Nagy, for comparison. For Spags, there was plenty of reason to be skeptical when we hired him, but I think it's hard to doubt the work he did last year. Our D improved dramatically as the season went on, we got strong performance out of several less than spectacular players just through proper usage, and he did a fantastic job of adjusting as the season and games went on. Offense stole a lot of the spotlight, but the defense stepped up in every one of the comebacks as well. If we don't fire Sutton and hire Spags, we don't win the superbowl. I'm very confident of that.

OL coach is okay. Heck has been around for quite some time. Was hired along with Reid back in 2013. Think he was the Jags OL coach for about a decade before that. He does a fantastic job of making just about anyone we throw out there functional. We've run with a lot of mediocre vets and low round draft picks during his tenure, and we seem to consistently get average to slightly above average performance out of them. When they get overpaid to move on elsewhere, they almost all disappoint as well, with Rodney Hudson being the one guy who was great here and great elsewhere. But he pretty much just seems to get passable play out of everyone. With the exception of Schwartz, who was elite when we signed him, the OL always just kind of treads water. Not going to whiff on a ton of blocks, but not going to blow open holes in the run game either. It works, but it isn't excellent.

I like that a lot of the Staff has future Head Coaching quality. House, Daly, Spagz(he wasn’t great but he wants to try again), Bienemy, Kafka, Toub. The Reid Coaching tree is strong. 

I can’t believe we’re keeping almost all the same staff and starters from last year.

• Like 1

I'm not terribly fond of the Vikings' current o-line. It's been a weakness for years and it's maddening to watch how badly they struggle. Especially when you're old enough to remember Todd Steussie, Matt Birk, and Randall McDaniel.

I've been satisfied with our recent OCs (except for the Flip debacle of course). Shurmur and Stefanski both did a good job and I'm confident that Gary Kubiak will too.

Our defensive coordinator is, for all intents and purposes, Mike Zimmer. Somebody on the team holds the official title, gets Zimmer's coffee, dusts the animal heads on his mantle, et cetera. But Zim's always been the real DC and I like him very much in that role.

Edited by y*so*blu
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I like that a lot of the Staff has future Head Coaching quality. House, Daly, Spagz(he wasn’t great but he wants to try again), Bienemy, Kafka, Toub. The Reid Coaching tree is strong. 

I can’t believe we’re keeping almost all the same staff and starters from last year.

I honestly think the only reason the coaching staff held together is because we went to the superbowl. Teams get impatient and don't want to wait that late for their hire. We bow out earlier at all and at least one of Toub or Bieniemy get scooped up.

I'm very happy with Keith Butler been for a while he's actually using the players strengths and his own 3-4 scheme where he's sending the defensive ends to blitz as well Tuitt was on Pace to break the sack record

I like that Randy Fichtner is using slants more in the offense and he's going away from Arians' scheme and towards s hybrid west coast zone blocking scheme

I'll always be happy with Mike Tomlin , he's adjusted many times to help the team

• Like 1

Tom Cable OLINE - I was skeptical, but the line played really well this year. Fine with him

Greg Olson OC - Gruden calls the plays so his roll isn't like the typical OC. I like Gruden

Paul Guenther DC - I like Guenther quite a bit. I just don't think he's had much talent to work with. Another bad year though and I think he's gone. Has a little more to work with this year.  

• Like 1