Do you actually like your O-Line, Offensive and/or Defensive Coordinators?

EvilenFroggen

5 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Interior O-line is as sketch as any in the league.

First off the question was about coaching not the unit itself.. Secondly I think you are being a little too harsh on the interior players.. One thing is for sure is that there are a ton of bodies competing for a couple of spots.. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

First off the question was about coaching not the unit itself.. Secondly I think you are being a little too harsh on the interior players.. One thing is for sure is that there are a ton of bodies competing for a couple of spots.. 

First off, I don't think so based on the reading title and OP.

Secondly, having a ton of bodies doesn't mean they are good players. It's a bunch of later draft picks and guys other teams didn't want.

OLine- Obviously much improved from two years ago. We added a bunchbof pieces last off-season with Ford, Morse, Felciano Spain. Long, and Nsekhe. We were able to get 4 new starters from that group. And this year we added more depth with Daryl Williams, Trey Adams, and Evan Boehm. But last year we were very solid. Think Ford could move to RG at some point and have an upgrade at RT. But for mean time its still a very solid OLine and im excited to see them gel as we will have all our starters returning. I just hope we can resign Dawkins and his price tag doesnt skyrocket on us.

OC- Brian Daboll interviewed for Browns HC and i was hoping they would take him. Not saying he is horrible OC but think an upgrade here would be good for our offense. We have the pieces on offense and if it doesnt show this year than Daboll is out. He is just to conservative sometimes and is too predictable. He runs Josh Allen on QB sweeps way to much in redzone and it becomes predictable. Allen has way more success running when he improvises or if the play call is more surprising. Daboll does dial up some nice plays every once in awhile but late in games he becomes to conservative instead of doing what made us successful earlier in the game.

DC- Leslie Frazier... may be the best DC in the league. Former HC and since his arrival pur defense has been top 3. He and McDermott never worked together before. He was hired due to an Andy Reid recommendation and soon these two football minds came together. May be the best defensive minded coaches in the league. Even when we struggle with run game defense the coaches correctly fix the problem. And of course our defensive backfield may be best in the NFL.

Packers - OL honestly not sure, we had James Campen who we all loved. Now we have a dude from the 49ers, our OL was fine last year but they were mostly healthy. 

OC - Essentially LaFleur, with only 1 year hard to say. Our passing game sucked, our running game was good. I expect improvement this year. Hated how we took our foot off the gas after so many early leads

DC - Pettine seemed to regress this year. We played so soft for the 2nd half of the year. Constantly giving up leads, bend don't break. For those that watched the Seahawks and 49ers playoff game..... yikes. I would expect some improvement this year, but we didn't add anyone. Hopefully Rashan Gary takes a nice sophomore jump

Edited by JBURGE
  • Like 1

OL: I like our C and RG.  Other than that, our RT is overrated and our LT and LG spots are currently up in the air.  We could definitely be in for a rough year there.  But if it leads to Sewell, I'll be happy.

OC: I really like what I've watched, read, and heard about regarding Scott Turner.  I think he's a more cerebral and analytics-based version of his dad Norv, though far less accomplished, obviously.

DC: Jack Del-Rio has had top defenses most years he's been a DC.  I'm excited to see what he can do with all the young talent we have.

• Like 1

Our offensive coordinator is Dougy P. So that's a yes. Although Doug is best when he's got other guys around him to pitch and bounce ideas off one another....he still is great.

Defensive coordinator is Jim Schwartz. Personally, I don't hate on him like the rest of the fanbase seems to love to do. He is an above average defensive coordinator. But he is very stubborn and not flexible enough in his scheme/game planning. 

Love our OL. Dillard should replace Peters admirably and our center, right guard, and right tackle are three of the best players at their positions. Case can be made for each of them being THE best.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 7:54 PM, wackywabbit said:

First off, I don't think so based on the reading title and OP.

Secondly, having a ton of bodies doesn't mean they are good players. It's a bunch of later draft picks and guys other teams didn't want.

Well if you want to have the glass half empty outlook than that's on you..  The interior will be just fine.. 

43 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

Well if you want to have the glass half empty outlook than that's on you..  The interior will be just fine.. 

I feel like your glass may be spilling on the floor. What is a weakness of the Ravens if you don't think the interior O-line is one? 

On 5/11/2020 at 1:15 PM, ET80 said:

lol

Ok, I do have to make a single update... I have a good feeling on Anthony Weaver, the new DC for Houston. I think he understands front seven play and how a good pass rush can be created with overloading spots; You don't need superstars to do it, just smart players with a sense of urgency on every snap.

I think he'll be a fine HC candidate one day.

• Like 1

OL- John Matsko.  The only hire that Ron Rivera did that I really liked at the start on offense.  He's done quite a bit with offensive linemen over the years in terms of developing them and coaching at a high level.  He should do well with the talent that we have in the trenches. 

OC- Scott Turner.  I have to say, I was really down on this hire when it was first announced.  I thought he lacked experience, and as a Redskins fan, I was not keen on hiring Norv Turner's son.  However, the more I've read about him, the more I like about him.  He's embraced analytics, which are just now catching a foothold in football.  As an Orioles fan and how behind we were in accepting baseball analytics, it is good for the Redskins that we are looking to be ahead of the curve.  I also like some of the things he's said about tailoring the scheme for the talent that he has, and not trying to force the talent into his scheme.  

DC- Jack Del Rio.  Del Rio is a great defensive mind, and he should be able to run the defense very well in the transition back to a 4-3.  Having the defensive line that we have will be a huge gamechanger for his defense once they are able to adapt to the change.  

• Like 1