Your team: Overrated, underrated, best, etc.

SmittyBacall

Overrated: Uh, Edelman, I guess...? He's still the best offensive skill player by default, but around this time a year ago, a bunch of Sullys and certain 'serious analysts' were saying he's a Hall of Famer.

Underrated: Adam Butler - some of it is scheme but he was a very disruptive presence on the interior DL last season and has been steadily improving every year he's been in the league.

Best: Stephon Gilmore - no explanation necessary

Worst: Mohamed Sanu - had an ankle injury last year but was a total drag on the offense every time he was on the field, it seemed like. 

New Key: Stidham - I'm personally excited to see what J'Mar Smith might be able to do at the pro level, but he's still at least a year away. Stidham is the guy for 2020 and I hope he justifies the team's faith in him.

Could Surprise: Jakobi Meyers -  He had some issues with drops and mental lapses during the regular season, but he nonetheless showed a lot of potential. He had very good chemistry with Stidham last preseason and hopefully that'll carry over.

Breakout: Chase Winovich - Will assume the role that Kyle Van Noy played the last couple of years. He's got excellent tools and a high motor.

Prove It: Sony Michel - I'm willing to give the kid the benefit of the doubt because the offense was all sorts of dysfunctional last year, but if he doesn't show more decisiveness at the LOS this year, he'll find himself in the scrap pile with the likes of Laurence Maroney.

Edited by Starless

4 hours ago, DerbyRam said:

Overrated: I really don't know where to start. Brandin Cooks would've been my choice last season, but he's since moved on. I really don't know.  

Underrated: Jared Goff. The guy is chastised as one of the very worst QBs in the league by the majority. Over the past three seasons: the Rams have been 4th in points scored, 3rd in offensive yards gained and 4th in passing yards. He's been to two pro-bowls in the past three years. He's now seen as the main reason the Rams may well finish bottom of the division? I'd make a case for him being the most underrated player in the league. 

Best: Aaron Donald. I mean, it's not even close. 

Worst: Brian Allen. The injury to him last season was a blessing in disguise. Austin Blythe came in and played centre (out of position) and did a good job. 

New key: A'Shawn Robinson. An established top tier run defender and we play in a division where teams like to run - Seahawks, Niners were top 5 for rushing last season and Cardinals were in the top 10.

Could surprise: Josh Reynolds. I'm certain he won't surprise many Rams fans because he's been a high value performer in cameos for a while, but he's tipped to become a starter hence more snaps and more opportunities to make plays. I like him a lot. If he's a free agent in your Fantasy League, I'd definitely pick him up. 

Breakout/Leap: Cam Akers. I am excited to see what Akers can do with the Rams, I'm sure that the run game will be much more in sync this season and both Henderson/Akers could post good numbers. 

Prove it year: Tyler Higbee. He's our established TE1 and flashed elite level production towards the back end of last season - 552 yards in the last 5 games of the season. All that being said, 'the prove it' year is to prove he can keep up that same level of consistency over the season and put himself in the company of Kelce, Kittle, etc. 

Good list. Would say it's Geralds prove it year. 

And it's sacrilegious but I'd call Hekker our overrated. He's still good but not best anymore. 

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

What's he been like overall? I haven't really followed his career since he left. I thought he was a reach in the first.

He's performed 'passably' as one would expect from a former Late-2nd-to-Mid 3rd Rd prospect; he's played a ton of snaps, starting earlier than expected in his rookie season, and have made a bunch of tackles  Sometimes, prospects really are Day 2 prospects for a reason, and GMs really are not smarter than the general draft community; this was one of those times.

So, his lack of splash plays, as well as, his seemingly inability to develop much from his rookie season to the next, is what I believe what August is referring to this being his prove-it year.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Overrated: Brandon Scherff

Underrated: Matt Ioannidis

Best: Maybe Landon Collins?

Worst: We got rid of most of them. Whoever plays LT is probably the answer.

New key: Probably cheating, but Ron Rivera. 

Could surprise: With the switch to the 4-3, a guy like Jon Allen, Shaun Dion, Cole Holcomb, or a rookie could just break out. Also, Dwayne Haskins. 

Prove it year: Ryan Anderson

Overrated: CB Kendell Fuller (I like him, but not like most skins fans...when we traded him for Alex Smith...you'd thought we traded away Darrell Green)  But I am glad he's back.

Underrated: RB D. Guice (If this dude ever stayed healthy, he'd be the best RB in football)

Best: WR Terry McLaurin (dude is awesome. He's already the best player on the team. At least until we see Chase Young)

Worst: RT Morgan Moses (Dude is a penalty waiting to happen. Do I think he's the worst player on the team? No. Do I think he puts the Skins in the worst positions on the football field with his ill advised drive killing penalities? Yes

New key: Rookie RB/WR Antonio Gibson (Most of you don't know him, but you will. He will be Rivera's version of Christian Mcaffrey. The dude scores every 5 times he touches the ball. Seriously ..every 5 times he has the ball...TD!)

Could surprise: Rookie LT Saahdiq Charles. (You know how the Steelers are a factory for LBers....and Packers are a factory for QB's....and so on? They just always have a replacement when that great HOFer does retire. The guy that replaces him...? Another HOFer, etc. Well, if there's one thing the Redskins have done right is Dan Snyder's piss poor tenure as owner, it's one thing. We always have a LT. Chris Samuels, Trent Williams...the list goes on and on and on. Now Saahdiq Charles was just a 4th Rd pick. LT from LSU. But the dude has skills...Don't be shocked, if the Redskins strike Gold again on another LT, while the teams who drafted Wirfs, Becton or possibly Thomas, etc? Are left holding the bag.

Breakout/Leap: DE Montez Sweat (while we switch to a 4-3 & the focus going toward Chase Young. Don't ignore this rookie last yr who quietly had 7 sacks his rookie season. If he improves his game even more, teams are going to have to decide what to do with him coming off the other edge.)

Prove it year: QB D. Haskins (He's got to prove to Rivera & fans that he can be a franchise QB. Next draft has some big prizes coming out at QB & if Haskins doesn't at least show that he's worth the investment? Rivera will have some decisions to make as he inherited this young QB. This is a BIG year, for Haskins.)

RAIDERS

Overrated - Trayvon Mullen: Raiders fans act like we have an elite corner on our hands. I think he's a nice piece who will solidify his side of the field, but I'm not anticipating an All-Pro or even a perennial Pro Bowler. The Raiders have had bad corners for so long that even competence is a wild upgrade.

Underrated - Derek Carr: Lost in the Derek Carr debate is that he actually had a very good year in 2019 and in the second-half of 2018. Fans act like 2020 is yet another "prove it" year--Carr has proved it. PJ Hall is an honorable mention because he hasn't been treated well by the staff despite being the team's best nose tackle.

Best - Darren Waller: 2019 was no fluke, he's nipping at the heels of Kelce and Kittle.

Worst - Lemarcus Joyner: He was seriously bad in his slot role in 2019 and the staff has unsurprisingly not owned up to their mistake.

New key - Damon Arnette: He was drafted as a ready-made starter to start opposite Mullen. If he can't play, and play early, it might crater the Raiders chances to be impactful this season.

Could surprise - PJ Hall: Like I wrote, Hall has seemingly been paved over on the depth chart by the staff by signing Maliek Collins. Hall made strides as a run defender in 2019, and I could definitely see him making a leap as a pass rusher, keeping Collins off the field.

Breakout/Leap - Josh Jacobs: Jacobs has a tremendous rookie year but there is room for his game to grow as a receiver.

Prove it year - Gabe Jackson: There's still  a chance Jackson is cut before the season starts, but if he is on the roster, then his seat is easily the hottest on the team going forward. The team drafted a guard in the 4th round and signed cadre of bodies in free agency.

Browns:

Overrated: Olivier Vernon/Sheldon Richardson

Underrated: JC Tretter/Jarvis Landry

Best: Myles Garrett/Nick Chubb

Worst: Chris Hubbard/Wyatt Teller (starter)

New Key: Jack Conklin/Jedrick Wills

Could Surprise: Chad Thomas/Drew Forbes

Breakout: David Njoku/Larry Ogunjobi

Prove It: Baker Mayfield/Karl Joseph

Edited by BleedTheClock

Overrated: 49ers OL. I cheated here but I can't really think of one player that fits the bill here. The Niners just became good so not like many players were getting all that much hype before last season. But the 49ers OL is seen by some as dominant and that is not the case by any means. They look better than what they are in the passing game with Jimmy's quick trigger and Shanny's play calling but they were mediocre at best in pass protection. Really solid in the run game but not all that good int he passing game.

Underrated: Jaquiski Tartt. Again, another hard question as the team doesn't have many underrated or overrated players, but Tartt is rock solid and fans tend to underrate him because he doesn't have the stats. But he is a sure tackler while being very disciplined on the back end. Teams simply didn't produce many big plays when he was in the line up but the few weeks he got hurt, it was the complete opposite.

Best: George Kittle. You could go with Nick Bosa here as early as next season but Kittle is legitimately one of the best players in the league. Don't need to really elaborate here.

Worst: In terms of someone starting or gets a solid amount of playing time? Um, maybe Solomon Thomas? It was Mike Person last season or really the interior OL as an whole, but I guess I will go with Thomas here. He gets his shot this season at playing majority of his snaps in the interior but he has to show something or else he will be gone. 

New key: Trent Williams. I could have gone Kinlaw or Aiyuk, but Williams has to replace Staley and play at an high level to keep the offense at the same level. More than capable and should be just fine despite missing a season.

Could surprise: Daniel Brunskill. He was one of the best in the league last season in pass protection when he filled in for Staley and McGlinchey, but will likely be the starter at RG this year. I still think he is much more suited to play tackle, but he could be good at RG. That will pay dividends for the offense. 

Breakout/Leap: DJ Jones. He was coming on last season before getting hurt, but this is the year that he could put it all together and become a force. HM to Solomon Thomas.

Prove it year: Solomon Thomas and Dante Pettis. Both have been disappointing and will be off the team soon if they don't step it up this season. Pettis was awesome to end the 2018 season, but did absolutely nothing last season and came to camp out of shape and was just out right terrible by all reports. Thomas' 5th year option didn't get picked up for good reason but Lynch said he will play primarily from the inside this season and was told to get stronger as he got pushed around in the run game when playing inside...And that is the problem. Good against the run on the outside but one of the worst edge rushers in the league. Has flashed rushing the passer from the interior but get pushed around in the run game. So yeah, odds are against him but if he can contribute and give the DL some solid depth, that would be good enough....Still terrible for the #3 overall pick, but I will take anything I can get from him at this point. 

• Like 1

Chiefs

Overrated: regular season Sammy Watkins

Underrated: Mike Pennel (Our defense turned a corner when we signed him)

Best: Patrick Mahomes (He's decent)

Worst: Dorian O'Daniel (Not really a worst player on the team. But he has been a let down)

New key: Clyde Edwards-Helaire (Should put up monster numbers)

Could surprise: Tanoh Kpassagnon (Last year was first year starting and filled in well. He should be the 3rd DE)

Breakout/Leap: Charvarius Ward (Underrated and entering a contract year)

Prove it year: Darwin Thompson (Didn't perform when given opportunity. Crowded RB depth chart)

8 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Overrated: Kwon Alexander. He's not bad, obviously, but he's paid a lot of money and he's very one dimensional. Awesome coverage linebacker, cant tackle worth a damn. He's great for a locker room though and is a good intangibles guy. But he's not the best linebacker on the field for us, and if he and Greenlaw split reps evenly, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't the second best either. 

Underrated: Honestly, I don't know that there is anyone I really think is underrated. Last year it was easily Matt Breida, but he's gone. I suppose maybe it's Tartt. I think he's a very good safety, he just doesn't really create turnovers. But he's very solid, and the team was in rough shape when he was out last year. 

Best: Nick Bosa 

Worst: Whoever is playing Right Guard

New key: Jalen Hurd

Could surprise: Jet McKinnon. Bit of a cheat here, but the dude hasn't played in 2 years. He could be a big part of the offense if everything is healthy and good to go, and I think a lot of people have probably written him off. 

Breakout/Leap: DJ Jones. For those that watched the Packers game last year, you know what he can do when it's right. He has a devastating first step off the snap. 

Prove it year: Jimmy G. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Overrated: 49ers OL. I cheated here but I can't really think of one player that fits the bill here. The Niners just became good so not like many players were getting all that much hype before last season. But the 49ers OL is seen by some as dominant and that is not the case by any means. They look better than what they are in the passing game with Jimmy's quick trigger and Shanny's play calling but they were mediocre at best in pass protection. Really solid in the run game but not all that good int he passing game.

I like this. Obviously they are great with the run blocking, but they are very underwhelming with regards pass blocking. I went with Kwon, but I lacked better options. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I like this. Obviously they are great with the run blocking, but they are very underwhelming with regards pass blocking. I went with Kwon, but I lacked better options. 

To me I rate pass defense so much higher and I think so does Saleh/Shanny, that he has a lot of value when healthy. He's more of a play maker than the rest of the guys and is really good in coverage. Obviously a big liability in the run game but that doesn't matter to me too much. Just sucks that Warner isn't the greatest of tacklers either. If he gets better in that area, he could be elite. For underrated, I almost went Jimmie Ward but I think he got a solid amount of hype/credit last season while Tartt didn't get much at all. 

9 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Saw this on Twitter. Who are the following starting players on your favourite team?

Overrated:

Underrated:

Best:

Worst:

New key:

Could surprise:

Breakout/Leap:

Prove it year:

Overrated - Maxx Crosby - If we're going by what I've seen from the fan base as a whole and not specific to this forum. And truthfully I'm not sure we have many guys I would consider overrated. I'm very high on Crosby myself and think he can be a pro bowl caliber DE for the next 5 years. But he's not there yet. He's coming off a very very impressive rookie season, especially for a 4th round pick, but I've seen some Raider fans on Twitter and such that believe he's already arrived and is guaranteed to be a top tier edge player. He hasn't yet. He was very good at getting to the QB for someone so young, but he also wasn't getting doubled consistently or game planned against regularly. Lets see how he develops. 

Underrated - Derek Carr - This one is easy for me. After 2016 Carr was probably overrated. A lot of us thought he was about to ascend into the elite QB ranks. It hasn't happened. It could be injuries, the constant change in scheme and coaches, or a lack of great talent around him, likely a combination of all. But now a lot of Raider fans will tell you he's a total scrub that should be benched, cut, or traded with very little good to say about him. I still believe Carr is in the top half of QBs in the league. I look forward to seeing him with a bunch of new weapons and a year with a run game headed by Jacobs who could be even better this year. I wanted Lamb over Ruggs but Ruggs would have been my second choice, and I can say this is the most talent Carr will have at his disposal in at least the past 3 seasons. 

Best - Josh Jacobs - I might be over rating Jacobs some, but going off of last season I believe he was a top 5-6 back before being banged up some down the stretch. But when watching him play I just saw a RB that is ridiculously talented. He doesn't have breakaway speed, but he checks every other box. I think he gets more involved in the passing game and has a huge year for us this season. I feel like an argument could also easily be made for Rodney Hudson, Darren Waller, or Corey Littleton if we're talking just pure talent. 

Worst - Marquel Lee - Strictly talking about starters here. It could be a handful of guys at the bottom of the roster. Joyner was almost my selection. Lee will likely start at SLB, and he's not awful, but he is far from good either. He's young and has shown the occasional flash here and there but very few and far between. He's also been banged up a lot. Our LB core as a whole has been awful for what seems like a decade now. And we spent a lot of resources to address that this offseason in free agency. We brought in two guys that are much more talented than what we had on the roster but Lee will likely get the nod at the 3rd LB spot in the base defense. And we likely wont be in the base very often (not that any team is anymore) primarily because of our lack of talent at the LB position outside of the free agent additions. 

New Key - Henry Ruggs III - Wide receiver has been the position we have invested the most in trying to improve over the past couple of seasons with very little to show for it. We all know what happened with AB and guys like Zay Jones and Davis weren't able to be a low investment big reward type of spark. Carr has been very good when he's had a good offensive line and some weapons on the outside. I'd argue he was pretty good last year with very little of the latter. We decided that Ruggs was our guy out of everyone in this draft class, and it's easy to see why in theory. He has the game breaking speed, very good hands which is rare for the guys that blow up the combine, ridiculous leaping ability, and a better route tree than a lot gave him credit for. I still would have went with Lamb but we are seemingly building an offense that wants to dominate in the trenches behind a top tier running game and have a great safety net in Waller and Renfrow to work the short passion game. We wanted an explosive threat on the outside to open up the running game and intermediate part of the field. If he hits and is capable of being the Tyreke Hill or Desean Jackson some think he can be our entire offense will benefit from it. 

Could Surprise - Tyrell Williams - Williams started off very hot at the start of the season. Catching a TD in the first four or five games. He then dealt with a foot injury that slowed him down. He was also in the first year in a new system that can be complex for QBs and wideouts and going into the season he was expected to be a high end number 2 behind one of the best wideouts ever. Brown went insane and right before the season Williams became our top WR. He didn't do a bad job at all. He was solid. But I think there's a solid chance he could come closer to his best year in San Diego type of production. A second year in the system. Henry Ruggs on the opposite side, Waller working the middle with Renfrow, and a dominant OL and run game could leave him with some real opportunity to take advantage of good matchups. 

Breakout/Leap - Clelin Ferrell - A lot of fans will likely pick someone different, and I'll be the first to say Ferrell didn't preform up to the level we all wanted from a top 5 pick last season, but if you watch him for the final 5-6 games last season there was a ton of growth. He became much more impact full pressing the QB, setting the edge in run defense, batted down some balls. 4th overall may have been too high for him, but I still saw a guy that was worthy of a top 15 pick at Clemson where he was downright dominant at times. I think he takes a big step this year. He likely won't ever be a guy that gets you 15 sacks, but I think he can be a Brandon Graham or Carlos Dunlap type that gets you 8ish sacks a year with ridiculously good run defense. Last year he dealt with an illness that caused him to lose like 15 pounds during the start of the season and we insisted on playing him at 3T a lot. When he caught his second wind and got healthy his play took a big step. I believe another year with NFL strength training and an improved DL coach will be huge for him and people will see why he was taken so highly. 

Prove It Year - Derek Carr - Touched on him earlier with the underrated comment. And while I think he is. I can not deny that our team hasn't come close to winning enough. That isn't all on Carr, but I believe this team has the talent to win 9-10 games this year. But for that to happen Carr has to play at the level he's capable of. He has to be more aggressive, he has to play better against good teams, and he has to play better down the stretch when every game matters. He doesn't have to be in the MVP conversation or anything, but another 7-9 type season where we go 1-5 down the final 6 just isnt good enough. Obviously there are situations where Carr can play well enough and the team still struggles, but we have invested a ton in giving him an offense that fits his skill set. A OL with a ton invested in money and draft picks, a WR core with a high paid free agent last year, a top 12 pick this off season, another high third rounder, and a back capable of keeping him from having to throw the ball 40 times a game. If the defense is garbage and constantly loses games that may be one thing, but Carr is clearly going into a season where he needs to show exactly what he can be if he wants to be the clear QB of the Las Vegas Raiders for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Overrated: Cle Ferrell 

Underrated: Max Crosby

Best: Josh Jacobs 

Worst: Brandon Parker

New key: Henry Ruggs

Could surprise: Nelson Agholor

Breakout/Leap: Darren Waller

Prove it year: Derek Carr

I can't see how Ferrell is overrated. Nobody really thinks much of him. It seems like a lot of the general fan base has wrote him off because he wasn't dominant last year as a rookie and they didn't think he should have been picked 4th. And while I agree he shouldn't have been picked 4th. His play did pick up down the stretch. He was still worthy of being a top 15-20 pick, and there's a ton of guys that struggled in their first year that went on to be impact players. He can't be overrated when almost everyone is looking at this year as a semi make or break year for him. 

Kind of the flip side with Crosby. He was a lowly 4th round pick that had a 10 sack season. I'm as hopeful as anyone about his future and certainly think he can be a dominant edge capable of being a foundation piece, but it's a little too early to crown him that just yet. And I think a lot have, so that's why I labeled him as an overrated player. This time next year he could easily be deserving of the label of one of the best young DE's in all of football though. 

I agree with Jacobs for sure. Kid is special. 

I didn't list Parker just because he isn't a starter. But as a swing tackle you could include him and if you include him there's no argument from me. He's just been bad when on the field. Hopefully the third year is the charm, but I'm even more hopeful he never has to see the field with Miller and Brown at tackle. 

Agreed on Ruggs. If he can hit the ground running our entire offense will benefit in a big way. 

Can also see the argument for Waller, but I considered last year his breakout year. I want to see him follow it up with another year like last season or better. But going from nobody to pro bowl caliber player had me view him as already broken out. 

Agahlor is kind of a similar mind frame as Williams for me. But Williams has been more productive, already has a year in the system and will be given more opportunities than Agahlor just because of the financial investment. I kind of wonder about this. I think he's a guy capable of being a really good third or fourth receiver and thus like a 5th or 6th option for us overall. But for him to really surprise it'll take a bunch of injuries or it'll mean a combination of Williams, Ruggs, and Edwards all failed to take advantage of the more plentiful options to produce due to their salary, draft pick investment, and youth. So while it could be nice to have him contribute to his full potential, I kind of hope he doesn't because it'll be a good indicator that Williams and the rookies are producing. 

I came close to listing Foster Moreau as a could surprise player. I saw a lot from him as a rookie that made me think he could develop into a top 10 type of TE. He had limited playing time last year but Carr really seemed to trust him, and he was great in the redzone. But an injury cut his season short and we'll have to see how he bounces back from that, plus Waller had a great year and is on a big deal, we will want to get the rookie wideouts involved to get a lot more out of the passing game on the outside, and Witten was signed (for whatever reason) and there's only one football to go around. There was enough flashes last season at a position that doesn't always flash in their first year or two for me to really hope he doesn't get lost in the shuffle. Our run game and offensive philosophy could lead to two really productive tight ends so it's not impossible.