Your team: Overrated, underrated, best, etc.

SmittyBacall

Raiders:

Overrated: Lamarcus Joyner. Was pretty well burnt toast last year in the slot.

Underrated: Trent Brown. Was a top tier RT last year and is an absolute monster in every facet.

Best: Rodney Hudson. Arguably the top C in the league but people don't give him much respect vs. other C's.

Worst: Tough to say as we have soooo many new guys and the depth chart is majorly TBD. Either K Daniel Carlson (who was great 2 years ago for us bucked sucked last year), whoever is starting at LB sans Kwit/Cory (Lee or Morrow) or even Joyner.

New key: Cory Littleton. Addresses the biggest hole we've had on D for a long time.

Could surprise: Johnathan Abram. Promising 1st rounder last year that missed 15 games.

Breakout/Leap: Maxx Crosby. Put up double digit sacks as a rookie and I expect him to take another major step forward.

Prove it year: Derek Carr. Pretty obvious.

for the Raiders

Overrated: Maxx Crosby - Very good rookie year, piled up sacks. Wasn't that consistent, and he had a lot of sacks relative to his pressures. He was nowhere near Nick Bosa, as some fans like to believe.

Honorable mention: Gabe Jackson - overpaid, always hurt

Underrated: Tyrell Williams - Has become an afterthought, but has always been a strong #2 receiver. He was thrust into the #1 role at the last minute because of certain reasons, and then battled plantar fasciits, taking away his speed game. He ended up being a possession, contested ball receiver which has never been his forte.

Honorable mention: Kolton Miller - disastrous rookie year, held up fine last year

Best: Josh Jacobs - I think it's somewhat of a grim sign when your best player is a running back, but he was that good. The problem is, good running games don't necessarily translate to wins, but I can't hold that against him in this category. Best =/= most valuable.

Honorable mention: Rodney Hudson - ol' reliable

Worst: LaMarcus Joyner - Yeah techincally I can scour the roster and take some scrub on the 53 who doesn't play, but to keep things honest, I just chose from guys that start or at the very least play a majority of the snaps. Joyner earned a big contract by being a very good safety who can also play some slot. So the Raiders decided to pay him top money, and exclusively play him in the slot, where he was mediocre. He's not worth his contract for this level of play (partially the fault of Gruden for sticking him in this role), and he is a prime cut candidate after this season when his guarantees are up.

Honorable mention: Daniel Carlson - strong rookie year, lousy sophomore. 

New key: Cory Littleton - The Raiders have been miserable at linebacker for over a decade, and in recent years, coverage from that position has been among the league worst. I don't know if he will pan out without that Rams D-Line keeping him clean, but his coverage has to make a difference.

Honorable mention: Henry Ruggs - adds some explosiveness to what was a plodding/efficient offense

Could surprise: Jonathan Abram - The Raiders defense last year was a bend, bend, and then break anyway defense, because they simply lacked playmaking ability. Abram comes with his flaws, but he should bring some dynamism to that unit. Effectively another new first round talent joining the team, but one who has had the benefit of a full camp and preseason a year ago, and should be ready to hit the ground running.

Honorable mention: Amik Robertson - mid round pick who could unseat Joyner in the slot

Breakout/Leap: Clelin Ferrell - I mean, it has to be him. The rationale is, he is not a traditional speed rusher, but one who won with power, leverage, etc. Rookies can be overwhelmed by veterans in the strength department (see Kolton Miller's rookie year) but can improve there. He's not the dynamic athlete that Josh Allen, Montez Sweat, or Brian Burns are, but he should show better than his rookie year.

Honorable mention: Trayvon Mullen - builds on a solid rookie season to become a #1 corner

Prove it year: Derek Carr - His accuracy and arm talent haven't been in question, but rather, his aggressiveness and willingness to push the ball downfield since 2016. I don't love the Ruggs pick, but he, Tyrell Williams, and Bryan Edwards should incentivize more downfield passing. I don't think Carr will ever be the kind of QB to stare down the barrel and deliver a strike while taking a hit, but he has to at least show that he's not scared to push the ball. I don't think he's a bad QB, but he needs that push. We saw Alex Smith get more aggressive in KC when Tyreek Hill broke out. Carr needs that same transformation.

Honorable mention: PJ Hall - has all the tools, but has not been an impact player, even failing to make splashes in a reserve role

Edited by Turnobili

Overrated: Ryan Tannehill I suppose. Especially after the streak he went on last year. 

Underrated: Kevin Byard. One of the best safeties that doesn't seem to get the national love that he deserves. Almost went Malcom Butler. 

Best: Derrick Henry. Most important player to our success. Just sucks that he's a RB and not worth the money he's demanding. 

Worst: Toss up between Ben Jones and Nate Davis. 

New key: Vic Beasley. We need a pass rusher like no other. Landry is good, but not there yet (if he ever gets there)

Could surprise: Jonnu Smith. Think he'll put up Delanie Walker numbers at his peak.

Breakout/Leap: Adoree Jackson. Hopefully the loss of Coombs isn't as big a deal as I think it will be and Adoree can make the leap to elite tier CB status.

Prove it year: Cory Davis is the simple answer. 

Overrated: Maybe Engram since it seems like he's always hurt

Underrated: Sterling Shepard maybe?  Solid #2 receiver, just not a number 1

Best: Saquon

Worst: Whoever plays center for us, Pulley, Gates....Halapio maybe if he comes back?

New Key:  Andrew Thomas, we need some good news on that front.  Hopefully Bradberry can make a difference in that secondary, but our Oline is a bigger concern I think

Could Surprise: Darnay Holmes.  Hopefully can be pretty good in the slot, or with recent events maybe he'll have a chance to start.

Breakout/Leap: Maybe Jabrill Peppers can stay healthy and be able to play more freely in Grahams defense, if McKinney and Bradberry can provide more stable teammates in the secondary

Prove it year: Can DeAndre Baker prove he's innocent?  All seriousness though there's so many unproven players on this team that I think you have to go with Daniel Jones.  Maybe he doesn't need to prove he's a great qb, but at least prove you can do a better job taking care of the ball.

Rams

Overrated: Michael Brockers - I hate to say it about my LSU Tiger but he came in with the notion of being a run stopper who can rush the passer some but should get better. He has had his moments but he should be more consistent especially knowing that he plays along side of Aaron Donald. I hope he has a big year in 2020 because the Rams went out and got another big body in A'Shawn Robinson to help on the dline.

Underrated: Tyler Higbee - He hasnt really gotten to prove what he can do until this past season. He came out of college with the NFL Comp of Greg Olsen. Last year he finally broke out and he was like 16yds short Week 17 against the Cardinals from becoming the 1st tight end in NFL history to have five straight 100yd receiving games. McVay finally started to use his tight ends in his system and it started paying off in a big way. Plus if nobody is going to act like they dont remember, Higbee made those two big plays in the NFCCG in OT that help defeat the Saints and send the Rams to the Superbowl.

Best: Aaron Donald - The guy is the best player in the NFL. You can argue Mahomes and even if I was to say yes Mahomes is the best player in the NFL, Donald is second. Either way Donald is a force and no player that plays his position comes close to him. 

Worst: Brian Allen - I hope he gets better because he is still young and very inexperienced but like the Rams got better at the center position as soon as Allen was out due to injury. Its hard for me to imagine him being the starter Week 1 but if he is Im going to be hoping that he does a better job than he did last year when he was in the lineup. The Rams should start Blythe at center and let Allen learn and hopefully get better.

New key: Cam Akers - His NFL Comp is Kareem Hunt. We know what Hunt did in Reid system in KC. I think Akers fits perfectly for what McVay wants to do on offense. You can say the Rams oline is bad but guess what? Akers played behind a bad oline in FSU and still had back to back 1,000yd rushing seasons which was the 3rd back to do so in FSU school history. Not to mention Akers dont need great blocking because from what I read he was touted as the most natural elusive back in the draft. He will get his yards no matter what and McVay will find ways for him to kill defenses on the ground and through the air. The Rams rushing attack and passes out of the backfield will be back because thats what has been missing since 2018 before Gurley got hurt in the Philly game and never was the same again. I expect a big year from Akers. 

Could surprise: Terrell Lewis - I say could surprise just because he has a history of not staying healthy. If he does stay healthy though that "could surprise" will turn into a "will surprise" because I think he has a ton of talent to be a double digit sack guy especially playing along side of Donald who will be getting double and triple team alot. Lewis if healthy can be in the discussion for DROY and he wouldve been possibly a 1st round pick if he didnt have a history of being hurt alot. 

Breakout/Leap: Joseph Noteboom - His season was cut short due to injury last season. He will be back though and I think he will do a great job on the oline. He will remind people why the Rams drafted him high a few years ago and think so highly of him. He will be Whitworth replacement whenever he hangs them up. I think he will show people who dont think the Rams have any young players that could turn into something good on the oline that yes they do. I expect Noteboom to help make the left side of the oline very good for the running game and protecting Goff. 

Prove it year: Gerald Everett. He was looking like he was having a breakout year last season but he got hurt. He also had some moments that didnt look so good like the dropped pass that led to an interception in the Seahawks game on TNF. Plus Higbee came on strong last season and the Rams drafted Hopkins whose game is similar to Everett. I heard so much talk about Everett possibly being traded this offseason from alot of Rams fans so I feel like if Everett doesnt show consistent promise this season he probably will be traded or not signed long term after this season. 

• 5 months later...
On 5/14/2020 at 3:45 PM, Turnobili said:

for the Raiders

Overrated: Maxx Crosby - Very good rookie year, piled up sacks. Wasn't that consistent, and he had a lot of sacks relative to his pressures. He was nowhere near Nick Bosa, as some fans like to believe.

Honorable mention: Gabe Jackson - overpaid, always hurt

Underrated: Tyrell Williams - Has become an afterthought, but has always been a strong #2 receiver. He was thrust into the #1 role at the last minute because of certain reasons, and then battled plantar fasciits, taking away his speed game. He ended up being a possession, contested ball receiver which has never been his forte.

Honorable mention: Kolton Miller - disastrous rookie year, held up fine last year

Best: Josh Jacobs - I think it's somewhat of a grim sign when your best player is a running back, but he was that good. The problem is, good running games don't necessarily translate to wins, but I can't hold that against him in this category. Best =/= most valuable.

Honorable mention: Rodney Hudson - ol' reliable

Worst: LaMarcus Joyner - Yeah techincally I can scour the roster and take some scrub on the 53 who doesn't play, but to keep things honest, I just chose from guys that start or at the very least play a majority of the snaps. Joyner earned a big contract by being a very good safety who can also play some slot. So the Raiders decided to pay him top money, and exclusively play him in the slot, where he was mediocre. He's not worth his contract for this level of play (partially the fault of Gruden for sticking him in this role), and he is a prime cut candidate after this season when his guarantees are up.

Honorable mention: Daniel Carlson - strong rookie year, lousy sophomore. 

New key: Cory Littleton - The Raiders have been miserable at linebacker for over a decade, and in recent years, coverage from that position has been among the league worst. I don't know if he will pan out without that Rams D-Line keeping him clean, but his coverage has to make a difference.

Honorable mention: Henry Ruggs - adds some explosiveness to what was a plodding/efficient offense

Could surprise: Jonathan Abram - The Raiders defense last year was a bend, bend, and then break anyway defense, because they simply lacked playmaking ability. Abram comes with his flaws, but he should bring some dynamism to that unit. Effectively another new first round talent joining the team, but one who has had the benefit of a full camp and preseason a year ago, and should be ready to hit the ground running.

Honorable mention: Amik Robertson - mid round pick who could unseat Joyner in the slot

Breakout/Leap: Clelin Ferrell - I mean, it has to be him. The rationale is, he is not a traditional speed rusher, but one who won with power, leverage, etc. Rookies can be overwhelmed by veterans in the strength department (see Kolton Miller's rookie year) but can improve there. He's not the dynamic athlete that Josh Allen, Montez Sweat, or Brian Burns are, but he should show better than his rookie year.

Honorable mention: Trayvon Mullen - builds on a solid rookie season to become a #1 corner

Prove it year: Derek Carr - His accuracy and arm talent haven't been in question, but rather, his aggressiveness and willingness to push the ball downfield since 2016. I don't love the Ruggs pick, but he, Tyrell Williams, and Bryan Edwards should incentivize more downfield passing. I don't think Carr will ever be the kind of QB to stare down the barrel and deliver a strike while taking a hit, but he has to at least show that he's not scared to push the ball. I don't think he's a bad QB, but he needs that push. We saw Alex Smith get more aggressive in KC when Tyreek Hill broke out. Carr needs that same transformation.

Honorable mention: PJ Hall - has all the tools, but has not been an impact player, even failing to make splashes in a reserve role

bump to re-assess

Think I was justified in calling Crosby overrated despite the sack total. Tyrell got hurt yet again, so so much for that. Kolton Miller has looked quite solid at LT. Jacobs is still good. Joyner and Carlson have both been better this year. Littleton has failed to be the key acquisition he was supposed to be. Ferrell still cant generate pressure around the edge but has been good against the run and shows a good bull rush. Jonathan Abram has been erratic yet impactful.

And I do think that to an extent Carr has silenced critics and all the memes about Mariota taking over

On 5/11/2020 at 7:33 AM, ET80 said:
On 5/11/2020 at 7:11 AM, SmittyBacall said:

Overrated: Berdnardrick McKinney. People have him as a top 10 ILB, but he's just a compiler who doesn't do much outside of a few tackles 3-4 yards past the LOS. (Nailed it).

Underrated: Zach Cunningham. This is the guy you need to watch, he's a do everything ILB who is explosive and a big play waiting to happen. (Oof, missed on this).

Best: Larmey Tunsil. It's either him or Watson, but Tunsil brings a lot of smarts and savvy to the OL. (He's living up to that contract)

Worst: Eric Murray. I legit don't get this signing, but it answers this question at least. (Holy moly, he's even worse than I expected...)

New key: Brandin Cooks. He's got some huge shoes to fill, let's see if he can do it. He's very talented, has some great speed... (So far so good)

Could surprise: Will Fuller. Nobody denies how talented he is, everyone wonders if he can stay healthy. If he does... (Looking good)

Breakout/Leap: Kahale Warring. Spent the year on IR, but will have every opportunity to win the starting job. If he does, he'll get a lot of looks underneath. (Psh, lol)

Prove it year: JJ Watt. He's a living legend and a first ballot HoF guy, but we need to see if he's at the end of the road or not. (...sigh...)