Your team: Overrated, underrated, best, etc.

SmittyBacall

Overrated: Rodney McLeod by Eagles fans, maybe Ertz by NFL fans

Underrated: Lane Johnson? He's proven to be a legitimate top tier tackle, but I'm not sure many view him that way simply because he lines up on the right side. 

Best: Fletcher Cox

Worst: Pick any of our LBs. 2 are pretty unproven and the other showed he was not start caliber last year.

New key: Jalen Reagor or Slay

Could surprise: Andre Dillard

Breakout/LeapMiles Sander

Prove it year: Derek Barnett

Colts 

Overrated: As mentioned this is a tough one for small markets.  I dont think the OL is as elite as perceived, Malik Hooker is still living off draft hype for some, and Jack Doyle probably shouldnt be a two time probowler.  Mark Glowinksi gets a pass as part of a great OL, but he stinks.

I'd imagine many outsiders would say Philip Rivers or Darius Leonard.  I often hear that the former is washed up and that the latter can't cover (thanks PFF).

Underrated: C Ryan Kelly, LB Anthony Walker.

Best: G Quenton Nelson.

Worst: 1T Grover Stewart, RG Mark Glowinski, the DE opposite Houston in base.

New key: DeForest Buckner in terms of highest impact.  Instantly our 2nd best player if you ask me.  But Xavier Rhodes might be the biggest x-factor. 

Could surprise: DE Kemoko Turay.  Truly believe he has double digit sack potential if he can stay healthy.  He's a passing-down-only guy but is a pressure machine when he can tee off.

Prove it year: Malik Hooker.  His 5th year option was declined.  If he doesnt step up his play, he will be gone after this season.

10 hours ago, DerbyRam said:

Underrated: Jared Goff. The guy is chastised as one of the very worst QBs in the league by the majority. Over the past three seasons: the Rams have been 4th in points scored, 3rd in offensive yards gained and 4th in passing yards. He's been to two pro-bowls in the past three years. He's now seen as the main reason the Rams may well finish bottom of the division? I'd make a case for him being the most underrated player in the league. 

Nope, you need to be listening to that majority, because Goff really is quite terrible.  

He's the worst player on the team by far.  

Overrated: Maxx Crosby, people were comparing him to Mack and Bosa which is ridiculous imo. He does have a lot of promise though. 

Underrated: Erik Harris, I think he's an average safety, but to me it seems like lots of people want him on the bench.

Best: Rodney Hudson, pretty much our best player every year since he got here. 

Worst: Marquel Lee or Nicholas Morrow, not our worst players, but worst since they get the most playing time at LB

New key: Nick Kwiatkoski, think he fits perfectly in Gunthers system

Could surprise: Lynn Bowden JR, could be a weapon in lots of ways

Breakout/Leap: Tyrell Williams. think he'll be the clear #1

Prove it year: Derek Carr, think he's solid, but hoping he can find 2016 form. 

1 minute ago, bananabucket said:

I'd imagine many outsiders would say Philip Rivers or Darius Leonard.  I often hear that the former is washed up and that the latter can't cover (thanks PFF).

nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.

25 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Nope, you need to be listening to that majority, because Goff really is quite terrible.  

So he's worse than Josh Love? Bryce Perkins? Something called a John Wolford? Kendall Blanton? Coleman Shelton?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.

News to me. Per PFF, he had a coverage grade of 79.8 in 2018 and 71.4 in 2019. Very good by PFF standards. Plus he was one of three linebackers to hold QBs under an 80 passer rating when targeted. And he had 5 INT’s last year. Dude is a menace versus the run and pass. Not sure what that comment stems from.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RamblinMan99 said:

By all means go off, but it doesn’t make sense to me.

How can the quarterback of a team that is 4th out of 32 in points scored, 3rd out of 32 in offensive yards and 4th out of 32 in passing yards be so bad to most people? It’s not middle of the ground statistics, added to a 33-15 regular season record, with a Super Bowl appearance.

He may well be one of the few quarterbacks on a consistently winning team in the NFL that doesn’t have a pro-bowl receiver as well. Brandin Cooks played under Brady and Brees, yet had his best individual season under Goff in 2018. Woods was a non-entity before joining the Rams. Cooper Kupp was a third round a slot receiver, who was mocked during the drafting process for his slow 40 time. 

If he’s so bad how is he doing it? Is it a magic trick, am I missing something? The only reason we finished below the Seahawks last season was due to a missed Greg Zuerlein field goal in week 5 which would’ve been a walk off win. We win that, we’re 2nd on 10-6 and they’re 3rd on 10-6. We make the play-offs, perhaps as well as them but I believe the Vikings were also 10-6 so I don’t know. All with one of the worst rushing teams in the league (27th out of 32nd) and more than half of our day 1 starting OL missing more than half a season. The small details matter. Not bad for the worst QB to ever play a snap in the National Football League. 

• Like 2

Overrated: by fans Jaire Alexander by the media probably Rodgers 

Underrated: Chandon Sullivan, the interior offensive line as a whole 

Best: one of Bakhtiari or Z Smith 

Worst: Montravius Adams on D and probably Rick Wagner on O 

New Key: Jordan Love’s development along with further transition into a power run heavy offense 

Could surprise: Sternberger or Equanemius St Brown

One coming off an injury the other what was basically a red shirt year. Both figure to have big roles going forward. 

Breakout: Rashan Gary

Not a ton of believers of his but I think he’ll thrive as the third rusher this year.

Prove it year: Anyone at WR2, Kevin King 

Overrated: Blessaun Austin- Was decent last year but got a bit too much praise IMO from our fan base.

Underrated: Foley Fatukasi- Absolute stud who's name got absolutely zero mention last year

Best: Jamal Adams or CJ Mosley

Worst: Outside Linebacker opposite Jordan Jenkins by far is our worst starter.

New key: Connor McGovern- All great Jets teams had phenomenal Center play. It starts with him.

Could surprise: George Fant- I think if he plays LT in our new scheme he's going to win a lot of people over

Breakout/Leap: Chris Herndon- Will be a top 5 TE in the league

Prove it year: Marcus Maye- contract year, rookie just drafted in 3rd round.

15 hours ago, August4th said:

Overrated: Maurkice Pouncey

Underrated: Steven Nelson

Best: TJ Watt

Worst: Ryan Switzer

New key: Eric Ebron

Breakout/Leap: Diontae Johnson

Prove it year:terrell edmunds

Honestly dont think I could do any better.

Pouncey is always the first Steeler I think of when I hear "overrated".    

Nelson is definitely overlooked.    Id also consider Villanueva.   I get he isnt elite, but he is solid at worst and most Steeler fans want to replace him.    Pretty silly.     

Watt is definitely the best player on the Steelers right now.   Couldve easily been DPOY last year.

Prove it year...Edmunds is good, but I think Id go James Conner.      He needs to prove he can stay healthy or he will be gone next year and will have trouble getting more than a 1 or 2 year contract anywhere else.     Conner could also fit the "underrated" category too.   Many people dont realize how good he can be when healthy.   Unfortunately, he doesnt stay that way long. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

You remember those "this is your brain on drugs" commercials?

That's what I think of every time I read one of your posts.      

4 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

News to me. Per PFF, he had a coverage grade of 79.8 in 2018 and 71.4 in 2019. Very good by PFF standards. Plus he was one of three linebackers to hold QBs under an 80 passer rating when targeted. And he had 5 INT’s last year. Dude is a menace versus the run and pass. Not sure what that comment stems 

During the 2018 season, I frequented every DROY debate I could find.  By far the #1 criticism of Leonard in such discussions was his inability in coverage, and I saw people citing PFF numerous times.  Maybe his grade improved throughout the year, or maybe they revised it.  But that I doubt because I watch both of their major NFL podcasts, and they have said the same thing regarding his coverage.  Hell, I even attended their live show in Indy for the combine and Leonard was a guest.  For about 10 minutes they debated whether PFF graders understood his defensive assignments or not, because they docked him for missing coverage assignments. 

This has been an idea I have seen parroted all over the place.  Reddit, YouTube, Twitter, you name it.

Edit: and to be fair, his biggest weakness since entering the league has been his zone awareness.  His length, athleticism, and ball skills have served him well in man coverage since day 1, but his zone coverage has needed some development. 

Edited by bananabucket