The Everything Else Thread v. 8.0

titans0021

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a pretty big step for me, so I'm taking all the help I can.

I'm currently in the process of applying to grad school in the US (I'm from Denmark). I know what I'm going to study and I've been narrowing down the list of schools I'm applying to based on who offers that program. I have somewhat of an idea of what I'm looking for, but there's definitely things I've forgot to include. Maybe you guys can help me make a more educated decision? 

Where did you guys go to school (both undergrad and grad school), and why did you pick that school? What kind of concerns and thoughts influenced your decision the most? Anything you've regretted since? 

I hope you guys are willing to share your thoughts about your own college experience. :)

Edited by Bloeddyr

1 hour ago, Bloeddyr said:

I'm currently in the process of applying to grad school in the US (I'm from Denmark). I know what I'm going to study and I've been narrowing down the list of schools I'm applying to based on who offers that program. I have somewhat of an idea of what I'm looking for, but there's definitely things I've forgot to include. Maybe you guys can help me make a more educated decision? 

Where did you guys go to school (both undergrad and grad school), and why did you pick that school? What kind of concerns and thoughts influenced your decision the most? Anything you've regretted since? 

I hope you guys are willing to share your thoughts about your own college experience. :)

go to a Power 5 conference (SEC, Big 12, Pac 12, Big 10, ACC) school with awesome sports and party your butt off.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bloeddyr said:

I went to Carson-Newman University. It's a tiny undergrad that had fewer students than my Grades 9-12 (Year 10-13) high school. Mostly because my mom worked there as a janitor and I got to go to a $30k+ a year school for free, but I also knew I'd never survive a large campus. Still trying to decide where to do my grad work so I might be coming to you for advice by that point! 

No regrets for choice outside of never having left my bubble and being an atheist that chose a small, liberal arts, Christian college felt a bit like going against my own moral beliefs for the sake of money. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

go to a Power 5 conference (SEC, Big 12, Pac 12, Big 10, ACC) school with awesome sports and party your butt off.

Most of the schools I'm looking at are P5 schools, but I'm also looking at a few schools with more prestigious academics (Georgetown, University of San Francisco and Columbia). But those schools are the only non-P5 I'm looking at currently. Part of me wants to go with the best academics as possible, so that my degree holds a value (especially if when I'm going back to Europe to work), but another part of me wants that full college-experience with awesome athletic departments and a lot of fun. 

I'm a Texas fan and it's something I've been for almost a decade, and they are probably #1 my list. I know a lot about the athletic department, and as far as I can tell, they are a pretty good school, academic wise. Texas seems to be the perfect mix. 

9 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

I went to Carson-Newman University. It's a tiny undergrad that had fewer students than my Grades 9-12 (Year 10-13) high school. Mostly because my mom worked there as a janitor and I got to go to a $30k+ a year school for free, but I also knew I'd never survive a large campus. Still trying to decide where to do my grad work so I might be coming to you for advice by that point! 

No regrets for choice outside of never having left my bubble and being an atheist that chose a small, liberal arts, Christian college felt a bit like going against my own moral beliefs for the sake of money. 

Honestly, that sounds awesome! As a Dane, I can relate to free education, lol. Good point regarding school size. Schools in Denmark are generally smaller than those in the US, and all schools I've been attending so far have been rather small (tiny actually) compared to US schools. My local university here in Denmark have about 45K students and I've been around campus a lot, so maybe it wouldn't be such a big difference for me to go to a big state college? 

The whole thing about leaving my bubble is a big reason why I want to go to the US for grad-school. But I never thought about the religious aspect of school. How much influence does religion have on schools? I know some schools are a bit more religious than others (Notre Dame for instance), but in general? I haven't found anything saying the schools I'm looking at are religious in any way (I looked up Carson-Newman and the first sentence on Wikipedia mentioned it's religious beliefs). 

Do you have any experience regarding living accommodations? It seems awfully expensive to live at a Dorm on campus? I have a friend who did a semester at P5 school and he told me to find housing outside of campus due to that.