The Everything Else Thread v. 8.0

titans0021

4 hours ago, Bloeddyr said:

Most of the schools I'm looking at are P5 schools, but I'm also looking at a few schools with more prestigious academics (Georgetown, University of San Francisco and Columbia). But those schools are the only non-P5 I'm looking at currently. Part of me wants to go with the best academics as possible, so that my degree holds a value (especially if when I'm going back to Europe to work), but another part of me wants that full college-experience with awesome athletic departments and a lot of fun. 

I'm a Texas fan and it's something I've been for almost a decade, and they are probably #1 my list. I know a lot about the athletic department, and as far as I can tell, they are a pretty good school, academic wise. Texas seems to be the perfect mix. 

Yeah you can get a great degree from a lot of Power 5 schools...even if it's just an "okay" school, you'll already be in the minority of people who have a graduate degree. The Big 10 has a lot of great academic schools -- Northwestern, Illinois, Wisconsin. Texas is great...USC and UCLA, too. A lot of schools excel in certain programs...for example I went to Missouri, which isn't a very strong academic school, but with an elite Journalism program which is what I studied.

I don't know you personally or what you're into from a social scene perspective, but the college town culture at a major university is one of a kind. You can get a valuable degree at these schools and get the experience you're looking for. You're not going to get that awesome sports life at Columbia. My reco to you would be do what you want now and get the experience you want...your masters degree is going to hold value regardless.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bloeddyr said:

Most of the schools I'm looking at are P5 schools, but I'm also looking at a few schools with more prestigious academics (Georgetown, University of San Francisco and Columbia). But those schools are the only non-P5 I'm looking at currently. Part of me wants to go with the best academics as possible, so that my degree holds a value (especially if when I'm going back to Europe to work), but another part of me wants that full college-experience with awesome athletic departments and a lot of fun. 

I'm a Texas fan and it's something I've been for almost a decade, and they are probably #1 my list. I know a lot about the athletic department, and as far as I can tell, they are a pretty good school, academic wise. Texas seems to be the perfect mix. 

Man. UT is a great University and Austin is a great city. The business schools is top notch and I know they have great law, engineering and geology programs as well.  What you looking to get your masters in?

And the city itself... It's the capital of Texas, so it's a huge government hub. The football stadium and uni are huge and right in the middle of the city. Aot of the tech companies from Silicon Valley have expanded in the Austin corridor or have migrated there. 6th street and the warehouse district are both great party districts. Austin hosts SXSW and Austin City Limits... The Spurs are an hour away in San Antonio... Houston and Dallas (2 of the biggest metros in the country) are about 3 hours away each... 

The biggest drawback is that the city has gone insane grow the past decade. And traffic, rent/mortgages, and all that other stuff that comes with crazy growth came along (it was rated the fastest growing big city in the US, ahead of Miami, Seattle, Charlotte, and Denver). Other than major sports teams, it has everything any major city has to be offer... With the uni still playing a central role in everyday life. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

Yeah you can get a great degree from a lot of Power 5 schools...even if it's just an "okay" school, you'll already be in the minority of people who have a graduate degree. The Big 10 has a lot of great academic schools -- Northwestern, Illinois, Wisconsin. Texas is great...USC and UCLA, too. A lot of schools excel in certain programs...for example I went to Missouri, which isn't a very strong academic school, but with an elite Journalism program which is what I studied.

I don't know you personally or what you're into from a social scene perspective, but the college town culture at a major university is one of a kind. You can get a valuable degree at these schools and get the experience you're looking for. You're not going to get that awesome sports life at Columbia. My reco to you would be do what you want now and get the experience you want...your masters degree is going to hold value regardless.

"Do what you want now and get the experience you want. Your masters degree is going to hold value regardless". Thank you! I really mean that. This is one of the best recommendations/suggestions I've come across while seeking help/advice. For some reason I never thought about it like that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Man. UT is a great University and Austin is a great city. The business schools is top notch and I know they have great law, engineering and geology programs as well.  What you looking to get your masters in?

And the city itself... It's the capital of Texas, so it's a huge government hub. The football stadium and uni are huge and right in the middle of the city. Aot of the tech companies from Silicon Valley have expanded in the Austin corridor or have migrated there. 6th street and the warehouse district are both great party districts. Austin hosts SXSW and Austin City Limits... The Spurs are an hour away in San Antonio... Houston and Dallas (2 of the biggest metros in the country) are about 3 hours away each... 

The biggest drawback is that the city has gone insane grow the past decade. And traffic, rent/mortgages, and all that other stuff that comes with crazy growth came along (it was rated the fastest growing big city in the US, ahead of Miami, Seattle, Charlotte, and Denver). Other than major sports teams, it has everything any major city has to be offer... With the uni still playing a central role in everyday life. 

I'm looking to get a masters in Sport Management. There's only a few schools throughout Europe that offers that at the Masters level and none here in Denmark. 

The schools I've been looking at comes primarily from SportBusiness' rankings of the 40 best Postgraduate programs. I want that extra level of education compared to my competition here in Denmark. I know that a lot of danish sports organisations looks towards the US for inspiration and ideas, so ideally I can get a year or two (maybe more?) of working experience after grad-school. 

All of the things you mentioned is a big part as to why Austin and UT is so enticing to me. There are so many opportunities. The only thing that Austin doesn't have, that NY and LA does, is a direct flight to Denmark. But that's such a little, and unimportant, thing that I won't let that factor into my decision. It really doesn't matter if it's a 12 hour trip from NY to my home in Denmark, or a 20 hour trip from Austin. 

Unfortunately I've never been to Austin, so it's a complete unknown to me. That scares me a bit. All of the other schools I'm looking at are located in a city or an area that I've been to before. It gives me some kind of comfort knowing that the city is like. But no doubt I'll come visit Austin if that's where I choose to go and I get accepted in. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 10:51 AM, Bloeddyr said:

"Do what you want now and get the experience you want. Your masters degree is going to hold value regardless". Thank you! I really mean that. This is one of the best recommendations/suggestions I've come across while seeking help/advice. For some reason I never thought about it like that. 

Good luck with everything man. I'll be graduating college this December. Would love to go straight into grad school myself, but it just isn't economically feasible for me right now. I've already taken on enough debt lol. Maybe someday I'll have the security and the means to do it. I plan on joining the Army after I graduate, so there should be some opportunities down the road.   

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

Been watching some of the AAF, and it's astounding to me how bad Hackenberg is and Mettenberger couldn't beat him out for the starting job.  It's still crazy to think there was a group that wanted Mett to be our starter, and now he can't even beat out Hackenberg in the AAF.

Mett looked much better than Hack though. Singletary is a moron and doesn’t even deserve to be a HC for an AAF league.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

1 minute ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Mett looked much better than Hack though. Singletary is a moron and doesn’t even deserve to be a HC for an AAF league.

Did Mett actually get to play some in the game last night? I only caught pieces of it.  Hack has just looked so unbelievably bad I can't believe that he could beat anyone out for a starting job.

On 2/20/2019 at 6:32 PM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Had LASIK over 10 years ago. Was told this past weekend that I have to get glasses for driving or have touch up surgery. Guy had the nerve to tell me that I'm nearing 30 (in Dec.) and that it's to be expected. I'm not ready to be an old geezer yet.

That's what makes me nervous about getting it, the guy told me that the way my eyes are shaped, it wouldn't really be an option to do additional corrective surgery. Basically forced to glasses, and so I'd rather stick with contacts in the meantime.

On 2/25/2019 at 5:03 PM, RuskieTitan said:

That's what makes me nervous about getting it, the guy told me that the way my eyes are shaped, it wouldn't really be an option to do additional corrective surgery. Basically forced to glasses, and so I'd rather stick with contacts in the meantime.

I had PRK (similar to LASIK but better if you can get it) 10ish years ago and my vision is still fantastic.

If your prescription hasn't changed much or at all the past few years then laser surgery is probably a realistic option. If it has been changing some still, I would hold off.

• 1 month later...