The Everything Else Thread v. 8.0

titans0021

6 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Those Grey's would be great... But I dont like the red ones. I know a lot of the fan base loves the concept, but I just never have

i'm in this camp as well. the red uniforms have never worked for me even with our old unis. those grays are fire though. would be sick if we had those as an option.

• 4 weeks later...

Any experiences living in LA or NYC?

Last year I asked you guys for advice for what to look for in a grad school. I'm really, really appreciative of all of the tips and help I got! I really mean that. 

I applied to Texas last year, but they wouldn't accept all of my credits, which set me back a year. I guess it's because it's a public university (they were the only public school I applied to, and the only one to reject my application). I've been accepted in to all of the schools I applied to, which I was kind of surprised by. I was hoping to just get accepted into one school, so I'm really excited and somewhat baffled. I've narrowed my choice down to two schools - University of San Francisco (Orange County campus) and NYU. 

I've got a pretty good idea of where I'm going, but I'd like to ask you guys about any experiences living in LA or NYC? I've been both places multiple times on vacation and stuff, but never for an extended time (not longer than 8 days).

2 hours ago, Bloeddyr said:

Any experiences living in LA or NYC?

Last year I asked you guys for advice for what to look for in a grad school. I'm really, really appreciative of all of the tips and help I got! I really mean that. 

I applied to Texas last year, but they wouldn't accept all of my credits, which set me back a year. I guess it's because it's a public university (they were the only public school I applied to, and the only one to reject my application). I've been accepted in to all of the schools I applied to, which I was kind of surprised by. I was hoping to just get accepted into one school, so I'm really excited and somewhat baffled. I've narrowed my choice down to two schools - University of San Francisco (Orange County campus) and NYU. 

I've got a pretty good idea of where I'm going, but I'd like to ask you guys about any experiences living in LA or NYC? I've been both places multiple times on vacation and stuff, but never for an extended time (not longer than 8 days).

I've lived in NYC the past 5 years. Amazing, one of a kind city. Exhausting and ironically isolating in the midst of the masses. Let me know any questions in particular you'd have. Would also be good to know what you're 'looking for' out of your experience.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

I've lived in NYC the past 5 years. Amazing, one of a kind city. Exhausting and ironically isolating in the midst of the masses. Let me know any questions in particular you'd have. Would also be good to know what you're 'looking for' out of your experience.

That's awesome, thank you!

I did what you're not supposed to and went on Reddit earlier. There were girl moving to NYC from LA for college that asked for tips and do's and don'ts and I was very surprised to see some of the replies. I couldn't recognize much of what was posted from my time in the city. Things like 'Don't make eye contact' and 'Act as if you know exactly where you going and in a bit of hurry, even if it isn't true'. 

But one thing that really stood out to me was the 'Don't wait for the light to change. Jaywalk.' and some guy echoed it with 'Don't wait for the light, look for your next move'. I know it's a big city and there's bound to be crime, but really? Is it unsafe to stand and wait for the light? There's obviously a huge difference in an 18 year old girl and a 25 year old guy, which I get. But they made it sound like it was the 'unpleasant parts' of Detroit or the Southside of Chicago (two places I'm not looking to visit again, btw.). 

My impression of NYC, as a tourist, is that it's a city that preys on tourists (like most big cities in Europe too). I walked around with a friend, not in a rush or anything, and we were stopped multiple times by 'rappers' and people trying to sell access to tour busses and things like that. When I visited NYU I was by myself and I was walking a bit faster, and I guess I looked like I belong, because no one stopped me. 

During my trips to NYC I've been to pretty much all of the the city (Manhattan, Harlem, the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn and even parts of New Jersey) and I didn't feel unsafe at any point. I wasn't walking around at midnight by myself though, but I felt much more unsafe in San Francisco than I did in NYC.

Edited by Bloeddyr

2 hours ago, Bloeddyr said:

I did what you're not supposed to and went on Reddit earlier. There were girl moving to NYC from LA for college that asked for tips and do's and don'ts and I was very surprised to see some of the replies. I couldn't recognize much of what was posted from my time in the city. Things like 'Don't make eye contact' and 'Act as if you know exactly where you going and in a bit of hurry, even if it isn't true'. 

But one thing that really stood out to me was the 'Don't wait for the light to change. Jaywalk.' and some guy echoed it with 'Don't wait for the light, look for your next move'. I know it's a big city and there's bound to be crime, but really? Is it unsafe to stand and wait for the light? There's obviously a huge difference in an 18 year old girl and a 25 year old guy, which I get. But they made it sound like it was the 'unpleasant parts' of Detroit or the Southside of Chicago (two places I'm not looking to visit again, btw.). 

My impression of NYC, as a tourist, is that it's a city that preys on tourists (like most big cities in Europe too). I walked around with a friend, not in a rush or anything, and we were stopped multiple times by 'rappers' and people trying to sell access to tour busses and things like that. When I visited NYU I was by myself and I was walking a bit faster, and I guess I looked like I belong, because no one stopped me. 

During my trips to NYC I've been to pretty much all of the the city (Manhattan, Harlem, the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn and even parts of New Jersey) and I didn't feel unsafe at any point. I wasn't walking around at midnight by myself though, but I felt much more unsafe in San Francisco than I did in NYC.

SF crime is mostly just property (ie car break ins) but you wouldn’t really need a car to live here. If you opted for Orange County would think a car would probably be required given the area has little to no public transportation compared to NY. Also who knows what will happen to ride share companies with the pandemic so wouldn’t want to rely on that as a viable option anytime soon. 

Really just comes down to your preferences. Hard to beat the weather in LA, but LA is less a city than a big amalgamation of neighborhoods. A lot of good ones but generally people tend to stay in a relatively small area just due to how long it takes to get around. If you want more of a city experience than NY is second to none, plus I think a lot better things you could travel to see in that part of the country. NorCal has better/closer things to drive to compared to SoCal. NY has a lot of places nearby via train or within a 4 hour drive. Can’t really go wrong with either option I don’t think.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bloeddyr said:

I think the replies you're getting like "Don't make eye contact" and "don't wait for the light to change" is more about the culture and people in NYC, not about any crime. In NYC, everything is FAST. Transportation is fast, you walk fast, you're served in restaurants quickly...if you don't move, everything and everyone is going to pass you by. It's a city that's moving 24/7 and if you don't keep up with the pace, it'll eat you up.

It's a very INDIVIDUAL city. It's hard to make friends here and it's the loneliest place you can ever be. Millions of people constantly around you...you'll literally never be more than 20ft away from the next closest person to you at any given time, even when you're in your apartment...but you often have nowhere to go or nobody to see. When you make those relationships, though, it makes the NYC experience even better. But on the flip side, I look back at my "lonely" days here in a positive way.

It's a city that will exhaust you...beat you down as a person and emotionally/physically exhaust you. But on the flip side, it really is an amazing, one-of-a-kind city where anything and everything can happen. The romanticism you see/read about NYC...the good and the bad...really is all true. 

It's a safe city. If you're an NYU student living near campus, you'll be safe. I would recommend anyone to give NYC a shot. There's no chance I put down roots here or start a family here, but whenever it is indeed my day to leave this city, you're going to have to peel me off the filthy dirty sidewalk.

you should go to NYU if you can

• Like 1

12 hours ago, VY said:

SF crime is mostly just property (ie car break ins) but you wouldn’t really need a car to live here. If you opted for Orange County would think a car would probably be required given the area has little to no public transportation compared to NY. Also who knows what will happen to ride share companies with the pandemic so wouldn’t want to rely on that as a viable option anytime soon. 

Really just comes down to your preferences. Hard to beat the weather in LA, but LA is less a city than a big amalgamation of neighborhoods. A lot of good ones but generally people tend to stay in a relatively small area just due to how long it takes to get around. If you want more of a city experience than NY is second to none, plus I think a lot better things you could travel to see in that part of the country. NorCal has better/closer things to drive to compared to SoCal. NY has a lot of places nearby via train or within a 4 hour drive. Can’t really go wrong with either option I don’t think.

I don't really know anything about the crime in SF and I didn't really feel unsafe, but I did feel a bit more unsafe than NYC. The last time I was in SF, I ended up living a bit too close to the Tenderloin area which made me feel a bit uneasy. Everything outside of that area is amazing.

The car angle is something I've been thinking about as well. The traffic in LA is something I'm not particular excited about. I'm either going to be somewhat limited with what I do (and internships) unless I'm going to spend hours everyday commuting, and I'm not really interested in moving around within LA to get closer to internships. 
I'm not really looking for anything specific experience. Both places are massive compared to anything I'm used to here in Denmark and will be a 'city experience' compared to Denmark. 

I really appreciate your feedback! Thank you!

7 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

I think the replies you're getting like "Don't make eye contact" and "don't wait for the light to change" is more about the culture and people in NYC, not about any crime. In NYC, everything is FAST. Transportation is fast, you walk fast, you're served in restaurants quickly...if you don't move, everything and everyone is going to pass you by. It's a city that's moving 24/7 and if you don't keep up with the pace, it'll eat you up.

It's a very INDIVIDUAL city. It's hard to make friends here and it's the loneliest place you can ever be. Millions of people constantly around you...you'll literally never be more than 20ft away from the next closest person to you at any given time, even when you're in your apartment...but you often have nowhere to go or nobody to see. When you make those relationships, though, it makes the NYC experience even better. But on the flip side, I look back at my "lonely" days here in a positive way.

It's a city that will exhaust you...beat you down as a person and emotionally/physically exhaust you. But on the flip side, it really is an amazing, one-of-a-kind city where anything and everything can happen. The romanticism you see/read about NYC...the good and the bad...really is all true. 

It's a safe city. If you're an NYU student living near campus, you'll be safe. I would recommend anyone to give NYC a shot. There's no chance I put down roots here or start a family here, but whenever it is indeed my day to leave this city, you're going to have to peel me off the filthy dirty sidewalk.

you should go to NYU if you can

I am leaning NYU, by some margin actually. 

I hope you're right. I don't mind people moving fast and people just generally be in a hurry. But that 'Don't wait for the light, plan your next move' surprised me a lot, especially since I couldn't recognize that from my visits to the city. I'm glad you don't feel like that!

I don't mind the individuality. I don't know how you ended up in NYC, but I could imagine school/student organizations helps you make friends quicker than if you moved for work? I have no problem being by myself, so that's not a negative. 

What do you mean it's a city that will beat me down? That it's a stressfull city since everything moves fast?

I'm hoping to get a dorm room for grad students, but I'm looking at private student housing as well. It's just seems to be the smartest move rather than trying to find an apartment somewhere in a decent condition. I don't mind commuting (something I've done a lot of previously), so I'm looking at all the buroughs for a potential gem. There's also a couple of danish scholarship funds with apartments in NYC that danish students can apply to. 

Thank you! I really appreciate it!

4 hours ago, Bloeddyr said:

I am leaning NYU, by some margin actually. 

I hope you're right. I don't mind people moving fast and people just generally be in a hurry. But that 'Don't wait for the light, plan your next move' surprised me a lot, especially since I couldn't recognize that from my visits to the city. I'm glad you don't feel like that!

I don't mind the individuality. I don't know how you ended up in NYC, but I could imagine school/student organizations helps you make friends quicker than if you moved for work? I have no problem being by myself, so that's not a negative. 

What do you mean it's a city that will beat me down? That it's a stressfull city since everything moves fast?

I'm hoping to get a dorm room for grad students, but I'm looking at private student housing as well. It's just seems to be the smartest move rather than trying to find an apartment somewhere in a decent condition. I don't mind commuting (something I've done a lot of previously), so I'm looking at all the buroughs for a potential gem. There's also a couple of danish scholarship funds with apartments in NYC that danish students can apply to. 

Thank you! I really appreciate it!

You'd be best served living in private student housing....make your housing situation as painless as possible, because it's a big point of stress

The city is extremely stressful to live in. Here's the reality (maybe COVID will change things, who knows)...every time you leave your matchbox sized apartment, you're going to be surrounded by people. Go on the subway...you're surrounded by people. Go on a walk in manhattan...you're surrounded by people. Go to a restaurant...you're 6 inches away from the next closest table. Now imagine spending every single day like that. It's exhausting.

I remember when I first moved to NYC, I was sitting on a subway cart at about 3 in the morning coming home from a night out. I was the only person on the subway cart at that time. That was the most 'personal space' i had since I had moved there. You're ALWAYS surrounded by people until you escape to your bedroom which, if you're lucky, barely fits a full sized bed.

but again...it really is a special city. I know I'm listing out a lot of challenges, but every rose has its thorns my brotha. You constantly have the world at your fingertips because this city truly never sleeps

• Like 1

6 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

You'd be best served living in private student housing....make your housing situation as painless as possible, because it's a big point of stress

The city is extremely stressful to live in. Here's the reality (maybe COVID will change things, who knows)...every time you leave your matchbox sized apartment, you're going to be surrounded by people. Go on the subway...you're surrounded by people. Go on a walk in manhattan...you're surrounded by people. Go to a restaurant...you're 6 inches away from the next closest table. Now imagine spending every single day like that. It's exhausting.

I remember when I first moved to NYC, I was sitting on a subway cart at about 3 in the morning coming home from a night out. I was the only person on the subway cart at that time. That was the most 'personal space' i had since I had moved there. You're ALWAYS surrounded by people until you escape to your bedroom which, if you're lucky, barely fits a full sized bed.

but again...it really is a special city. I know I'm listing out a lot of challenges, but every rose has its thorns my brotha. You constantly have the world at your fingertips because this city truly never sleeps

If the biggest drawback with NYC is that you might feel alone, despite never being alone, I'd say that's not too bad. 

I'm really glad that you are mentioning these challenges, since that was what I asked for. I wanted to know which kind of issues I might face that I didn't know or wasn't considering. This is great info! Once again, thank you! It's really, really helpful!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, 

How's life been? Hopefully things have been cool with everyone in These Challenging Times (TM.) Taking a social media break to try to keep all the anxiety with the world at bay, but my county's still in quarantine and I'm getting a little bored with playing video games for two months straight so I figured I'd pop in and see what's up in "Titania." (Do we still call it that?) 

Life for me took a hard turn left thanks to COVID Blues. Finally made the jump and moved out to Los Angeles to pursue my music career -- only to arrive about a week before quarantine hit. That was some luck, eh? I guess it was karma for the Titans making the AFC title game. Man upstairs said "You get one." xD

Anyway, I've moved back home to recalibrate, rest and recharge. Might go to grad school or something while I wait for the concert industry to come back. Might try to go find a role at a music company. Who knows? Maybe I'll end up moving to Nashville and I can grab Titans season tickets.

22 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Hey everyone, 

How's life been? Hopefully things have been cool with everyone in These Challenging Times (TM.) Taking a social media break to try to keep all the anxiety with the world at bay, but my county's still in quarantine and I'm getting a little bored with playing video games for two months straight so I figured I'd pop in and see what's up in "Titania." (Do we still call it that?) 

Life for me took a hard turn left thanks to COVID Blues. Finally made the jump and moved out to Los Angeles to pursue my music career -- only to arrive about a week before quarantine hit. That was some luck, eh? I guess it was karma for the Titans making the AFC title game. Man upstairs said "You get one." xD

Anyway, I've moved back home to recalibrate, rest and recharge. Might go to grad school or something while I wait for the concert industry to come back. Might try to go find a role at a music company. Who knows? Maybe I'll end up moving to Nashville and I can grab Titans season tickets.

Was wondering where you'd disappeared to. Figured the 'rona got you on the plane back to Gainesville. 

Move to Nashville next! Now that they've mostly reopened the state, surely the virus will take down a few music folk and they'll need more! 

32 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Was wondering where you'd disappeared to. Figured the 'rona got you on the plane back to Gainesville. 

Move to Nashville next! Now that they've mostly reopened the state, surely the virus will take down a few music folk and they'll need more! 

The whole point was to get out of the southeast though. I don't like the heat ¬¬ (which sounds insane coming from a person who has lived in FL for 99 percent of his time on Earth, but it is what it is, mate.) 

Edit: Also, you haven't seen me on Animal Crossing? :(

Edited by SpacemanSpiff

20 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

I mean, I'm hoping these tornadoes and this virus chases off some of the trust fund hipsters before they finish building another dang office building next to my mother in law's.