AFC North Game Plans: BENGALS

BleedTheClock

Joe Woods:
-Commit to get pressure with your front 4. Burrow is too good to allocate coverage resources to the pass rush.
-Beat up the WR's at the line of scrimmage and try to stay in 2-high as much as you possibly can.
-When you do blitz, blitz late on delayed stunts. Burrow is very good at climbing the pocket and sliding in conventional fashions against the rush.
-Make Joe Mixon beat you. It's going to be tough to stop him, but I don't think Burrow is going to be a detriment as a rookie QB. Make Mixon beat you.

Alex Van Pelt:
-Get some easy cheap completions on 1st down. Cincinnati plays a lot of zone coverage and has suspect cover men. Hitches and slants.
-Run the game through Nick Chubb. Cincinnati upgraded their speed at the cost of rugged toughness. They are weak up the middle.
-Control the tempo of the game. Run 2-TE sets and force young linebackers to fill gaps and take on blockers.
-Do not take vertical shots unless they start to move everyone way up. Tempo, tempo, tempo!

Kevin Stefanski:
-Bleed the clock. Keep Burrow and those playmakers off the field.
-Be very patient with where and when we pick our shots (blitzing, throwing deep).
-Start hot early. The Bengals are very beatable if you take their soul in the 1st quarter.
-Limit the amount of mistakes Baker can make by making efficiency the key, not yardage.

I think we need to treat the Bengals like a dangerous team. Control the clock and trust that we are more talented in a tight game. I think the Bengals are going to score points. But I do think their defense will give up even more. Let's slow the game down to prevent a shootout and let Chubb control the clock. Play coverage and see if Mixon can beat us with a 7 man box.

37 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eh, I’m making a rookie QB beat me 100 times out of 100.

Agree. I don't care what the name is - he's still a rookie QB. The fact that people are automatically crowning this dude is funny to me.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Vee-Rex said:

Agree. I don't care what the name is - he's still a rookie QB. The fact that people are automatically crowning this dude is funny to me.

Yeah we don’t even know if he can play yet.

27 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He’s coming off a short week as well Week 2. Rookie QB, on the road, 2nd career start, on a short week. 

It’s a no brainer for me.  We should be dialing up every funky thing we have in the playbook and making him work.

53 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

That's why I think we can get pressure with our front 4. Shouldn't need to blitz them.

I’m bringing 5 plus the whole game, man press outside.

I want a rookie QB on a short week to have to read the defense and make pinpoint throws quickly.  

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Joe Woods:
-Commit to get pressure with your front 4. Burrow is too good to allocate coverage resources to the pass rush.
-Beat up the WR's at the line of scrimmage and try to stay in 2-high as much as you possibly can.
-When you do blitz, blitz late on delayed stunts. Burrow is very good at climbing the pocket and sliding in conventional fashions against the rush.
-Make Joe Mixon beat you. It's going to be tough to stop him, but I don't think Burrow is going to be a detriment as a rookie QB. Make Mixon beat you.

Alex Van Pelt:
-Get some easy cheap completions on 1st down. Cincinnati plays a lot of zone coverage and has suspect cover men. Hitches and slants.
-Run the game through Nick Chubb. Cincinnati upgraded their speed at the cost of rugged toughness. They are weak up the middle.
-Control the tempo of the game. Run 2-TE sets and force young linebackers to fill gaps and take on blockers.
-Do not take vertical shots unless they start to move everyone way up. Tempo, tempo, tempo!

Kevin Stefanski:
-Bleed the clock. Keep Burrow and those playmakers off the field.
-Be very patient with where and when we pick our shots (blitzing, throwing deep).
-Start hot early. The Bengals are very beatable if you take their soul in the 1st quarter.
-Limit the amount of mistakes Baker can make by making efficiency the key, not yardage.

I think we need to treat the Bengals like a dangerous team. Control the clock and trust that we are more talented in a tight game. I think the Bengals are going to score points. But I do think their defense will give up even more. Let's slow the game down to prevent a shootout and let Chubb control the clock. Play coverage and see if Mixon can beat us with a 7 man box.

Noticed the thread while scanning the forums page (title caught my eye).

As a fan, I would agree with most of this as to how to attack us.  Our o-line is definitely a question mark going into the season, with Jonah Williams the only replacement so far at OT.  Maybe the young guys take a giant step or two to help, but that remains to be seen.  

The only part I'd question is the bolded.  We had our biggest free agent class since Marvin's first year as HC back in 2003.  This group includes DJ Reader, Vonn Bell, Trae Waynes and MacKenzie Alexander, among others.  I think we are getting more "rugged" up the middle.  The Minny CBs are more known for sure tackling than top coverage metrics as well. Our draft also brought in three LBs known as solid tacklers who can also cover.  So I don't know if we will be such an easy team to run the ball down our throats this year.  But given the depth of your playmakers on offense, I wouldn't see a reason to not to play a steady diet of run and pass, ball control style offense.  In week 2, our 5 new guys will still be gelling as a unit.  I think they will be playing better when you guys roll south on I-71.

17 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Noticed the thread while scanning the forums page (title caught my eye).

As a fan, I would agree with most of this as to how to attack us.  Our o-line is definitely a question mark going into the season, with Jonah Williams the only replacement so far at OT.  Maybe the young guys take a giant step or two to help, but that remains to be seen.  

The only part I'd question is the bolded.  We had our biggest free agent class since Marvin's first year as HC back in 2003.  This group includes DJ Reader, Vonn Bell, Trae Waynes and MacKenzie Alexander, among others.  I think we are getting more "rugged" up the middle.  The Minny CBs are more known for sure tackling than top coverage metrics as well. Our draft also brought in three LBs known as solid tacklers who can also cover.  So I don't know if we will be such an easy team to run the ball down our throats this year.  But given the depth of your playmakers on offense, I wouldn't see a reason to not to play a steady diet of run and pass, ball control style offense.  In week 2, our 5 new guys will still be gelling as a unit.  I think they will be playing better when you guys roll south on I-71.

I love the 3 LBs u brought in. I just think they’re scrape and chase LBs, not thumpers. 

Feel free to disagree, but I feel that the Bengals are very similar to us.

Promising QB. Skill position talent on the perimeter. Strong running game. Potentially good d-line. Crappy LBs and questions in the secondary.

Now, I think we are significantly better on the o-line and our RB combination is the best in the entire NFL.

9 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Feel free to disagree, but I feel that the Bengals are very similar to us.

Promising QB. Skill position talent on the perimeter. Strong running game. Potentially good d-line. Crappy LBs and questions in the secondary.

Now, I think we are significantly better on the o-line and our RB combination is the best in the entire NFL.

Our skill players are better too. By a decent margin.