FF's Greatest Jaguars of All Time - #9

pwny

Who is the ninth greatest Jaguar of all time?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the ninth greatest Jaguar of all time?

• Aaron Beasley
    • Kyle Brady
    • Calais Campbell
    • Donovin Darius
    • David Garrard
    • Kevin Hardy
    • John Henderson
    • Vince Manuwai
    • Brad Meester
    • Chris Naeole
    • Yannick Ngakoue
    • Mike Peterson
    • Paul Posluszny
    • Jalen Ramsey
    • Josh Scobee
    • Leon Searcy
    • Joel Smeenge
    • Daryl Smith
    • Marcus Stroud
    • Gary Walker

I added the rest of the Jaguars All-25 group. Some in that were higher than other players at similar positions that had been suggested to be added..

No option for other this poll, because I hit the limit. There should be absolutely zero reason for someone to want to vote other, anyway.

55 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

This is where it gets kind of difficult.

I went big John personally.

Yeah, this is tough. We can bicker about the order on the ones so far, but I think they should unquestionably be the top 8.

After this though, I don’t know which way it goes. You can make a case for Stroud, Henderson, Daryl, Meester, Searcy, Darius, and Poz (if one values his leadership skills as highly as some do, though I’d put Peterson above him), and I’m not really sure there’s a right answer.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, pwny said:

Yeah, this is tough. We can bicker about the order on the ones so far, but I think they should unquestionably be the top 8.

After this though, I don’t know which way it goes. You can make a case for Stroud, Henderson, Daryl, Meester, Searcy, Darius, and Poz (if one values his leadership skills as highly as some do, though I’d put Peterson above him), and I’m not really sure there’s a right answer.

Yeah.  Kind of hard to really argue against a number of guys at this point.  They're all sorta...in the mix, for various reasons.

1 hour ago, Chops013 said:

Going Calais. Made the Pro Bowl ever year he was here, set the single season sack record, and was Walter Payton Man of the Year.

Plus there's this element, which is fair as well.  Like, Calais was consistently excellent in his time with the Jaguars, and had probably the single best season of any Jaguars defensive player in the team's history.  He was a bonafide DPOY candidate, league-wide that year.

Just becomes a question of how you view the forever guys like Meester who were just consistently solid for an eternity.  Vs the brightest flashes, over a much shorter duration.  I kinda lean toward the "Greatest Jaguars" being guys who contributed over a longer period and would register for most people as A Jaguar above all else.  Which i'm not sure Calais would qualify for, as i'd imagine there's probably still a real split in what team he's identified with for most people.

It's not unreasonable to assert that he belongs on here sometime soon though.

• Like 2

Calais Campbell gets my vote here. His three years here were impressive. Especially the first two. He's probably one of the greatest, if not, the greatest single free agency signing they've made in Franchise history on the defensive side of the football. 

31.5 sacks with 2 defensive TD's in a three year stint is beyond impressive. That's not counting what he brought to the lockeroom and what he did for the community. He's a true professional all the way through. 

As good as John Henderson and Marcus Stroud were I always felt like neither one of those guys reached their true potential and lived up to their draft hype in Jacksonville. Campbell came in and started kicking people around like nobody's business. 

When you go back and look at the failed attempts between Hugh Douglas, Cameron Heyward and Aaron Kampman over the years to fill that void that Tony Brackens left the franchise with? I think that should factor into Campbell's vote. 

Edited by Drachma
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  Kind of hard to really argue against a number of guys at this point.  They're all sorta...in the mix, for various reasons.

Plus there's this element, which is fair as well.  Like, Calais was consistently excellent in his time with the Jaguars, and had probably the single best season of any Jaguars defensive player in the team's history.  He was a bonafide DPOY candidate, league-wide that year.

Just becomes a question of how you view the forever guys like Meester who were just consistently solid for an eternity.  Vs the brightest flashes, over a much shorter duration.  I kinda lean toward the "Greatest Jaguars" being guys who contributed over a longer period and would register for most people as A Jaguar above all else.  Which i'm not sure Calais would qualify for, as i'd imagine there's probably still a real split in what team he's identified with for most people.

It's not unreasonable to assert that he belongs on here sometime soon though.

I could easily see him getting up within the next five. But for me, I think Stroud and Henderson both need to get on the list before he does. They didn’t have the peak of his 2017 season, but I’d say they were at and above his 2018 and 2019 seasons for pretty much the entirety of their 7 and 8 seasons respectively.

But I could see a situation where a run of those three come next, even though for me it’s those two and Daryl as the next three. 

• Like 1

I could also see the “Stroud and Henderson are 9 and 10” crowd splitting their votes between the two and someone like Campbell slipping in with more votes but less support, if that makes sense.

12 hours ago, pwny said:

I could easily see him getting up within the next five. But for me, I think Stroud and Henderson both need to get on the list before he does. They didn’t have the peak of his 2017 season, but I’d say they were at and above his 2018 and 2019 seasons for pretty much the entirety of their 7 and 8 seasons respectively.

But I could see a situation where a run of those three come next, even though for me it’s those two and Daryl as the next three. 

Yeah.  The other thing is that Henderson and Stroud are kinda like Jimmy and Keenan to me.  They sorta belong together as a unit.  But obviously the votes split 'em up.  Different split than Jimmy/Keenan where it was pretty unanimous who was better though.

• Like 1