Defensive Breakout Player for 2020

Trentwannabe

Who breaks out on defense in 2020?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who breaks out on defense in 2020?

• DT Ed Oliver
    • DT Harrison Phillips
    • DE AJ Epenesa
    • DE Darryl Johnson
    • CB Taron Johnson
    • CB Levi Wallace
    • CB Dane Jackson
    • S Jaquan Johnson
    • LB Tremain Edmunds
    • LB Vosean Joseph
    • DB Siran Neal
    • Other

I was down to Oliver and Edmunds, but went with Oliver in the votes. This is a bit hard as Edmunds has been very solid his 1st two years by controlling that defense so it is hard to say that he breaks out as he has been hitting over 100 tackles a year. To me he already has broken out so I dont see him being able to go over that. With Oliver I think he is the one that needs to break out this year and prove why he was a top 10 pick. He started his rookie year off but got better as the season went on so I think he comes out staying strong as he finished the season. The only reason I can see him not having better stats this year is because of the heavy dose Mcdermott and beane have put in to the dline with signings. So rotation of snap count may restrict oliver for being on the field majority of the game which could hinder his stats. 

I'm not sure if we can even consider Edmunds as someone who has not already broke out. I mean, he's so good and just 19. Obviously he will take a big step in his game, but it's not a surprise anymore. 

I think that Josh Norman could very well be the biggest impact IF he balls out. Risky, but in terms of really a breakout year it could be him. I only expect better things from Oliver & Edmunds and would be surprised if they didn't improve.

But apart from the surprise breakout, i'm going with Edmunds bc the kid is just a STUD.

Edited by Killashaw

I think Edmunds and Oliver are going to be the favorites, and probably the most talented on the list, I am going with "other" and say Matt Milano. I am not sure if he will have the stats to reflect it, but I think he could be our most complete LB by the end of the season (pass rushing, tackles, pass coverage)

I think Edmunds has already broken out so i went with Oliver. Obviously Edmunds hasnt reached full potential but he was a probowler. Oliver will be a beast this season.

A name to watch is Siran Neal. I think he has a chance to replace Taron Johnson at the nickle 

5 hours ago, Killashaw said:

I'm not sure if we can even consider Edmunds as someone who has not already broke out

I think Edmunds still has a way to go in recognizing certain plays and diagnosing the run quicker. If he does that and caused more turnovers, he’ll cement himself as a top 5 MLB.

5 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

A name to watch is Siran Neal. I think he has a chance to replace Taron Johnson at the nickle 

Neal is a sleeper for sure. McDermott mentioned him as a big nickel candidate moving forward. 

I'm going to go with a bit of a surprise here. I don't really expect anyone on her to make a significant jump from where they are currently performing. Still performing great but not a significant increase. With that being said, I think an eye can be kept on Corey Thompson. He's our top reserve LB and is versatile in knowing all three spots. If one of our top 3 were to go down with injury or even if Klein doesn't perform like we expect, and Thompson gets to take a share of snaps it's possible could see him step into a spotlight with the other talent he has around him to open things up for him. 

(And he's going into his 3rd year so he qualifies :D)