Defensive Breakout Player for 2020

Trentwannabe

Who breaks out on defense in 2020?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who breaks out on defense in 2020?

• DT Ed Oliver
    • DT Harrison Phillips
    • DE AJ Epenesa
    • DE Darryl Johnson
    • CB Taron Johnson
    • CB Levi Wallace
    • CB Dane Jackson
    • S Jaquan Johnson
    • LB Tremain Edmunds
    • LB Vosean Joseph
    • DB Siran Neal
    • Other

On 5/13/2020 at 1:31 AM, DER10N92 said:

I'm going to go with a bit of a surprise here. I don't really expect anyone on her to make a significant jump from where they are currently performing. Still performing great but not a significant increase. With that being said, I think an eye can be kept on Corey Thompson. He's our top reserve LB and is versatile in knowing all three spots. If one of our top 3 were to go down with injury or even if Klein doesn't perform like we expect, and Thompson gets to take a share of snaps it's possible could see him step into a spotlight with the other talent he has around him to open things up for him. 

(And he's going into his 3rd year so he qualifies :D)

Thompson is a very interesting choice! The staff sure does seem like to him.

On 5/13/2020 at 1:51 AM, BigMountainGoat said:

I'd say Harrison Phillips if he's recovered. 

He was our best DT before he got injured and finally was starting to settle 

I hope he is able to fully recover. He could easily unseat Star as the starting 1T.

21 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

Think Vernon Butler could start there as well. He is capable of playing 1 Tech and 3 Tech.

Most of our DL can play multiple positions. This is going to give us so much flexibility and scheme versatility. We are constantly going to be keeping defenses guessing. The only guy that can't play multiple positions is Star.

• Like 1

This is hands down the hardest of the 3 surveys to answer. It's not like we don't have any options to consider, it's that we are so solid on this side of the ball, that we are always playing TEAM defense. Everyone on our D can be the difference-maker one week or the next. It will almost seem like no one will stand out. Sure, Edmunds will most likely lead in tackles, but I think with how stacked our DL is, we finally see a ton of pressure on opposing QB's. I went with Oliver to continue to affect inside runs and to be the big winner in getting to the QB from the inside this season.

Gawd, I love our D!