Bronco Mount Rushmore

jsthomp2007

I'm watching the Top 10 NFL Mount Rushmores. What is ours? This seems hard.

But I will how with the following, with Manning, Shanahan, R. Smith, Atwater, Champ, Bowlen, and Von as honorable mentions. 

1. Elway

2. Gradishar

3. Sharpe 

4. Davis

Edited by jsthomp2007

4 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I'm watching the Top 10 NFL Mount Rushmores. What is ours? This hard.

1. Elway

2. Gradishar

3. Sharpe 

4. Davis

There are a lot of worthy candidates. 

I think either Champ and/or Von are deserving as well. Maybe Von since he was here for the SB victory? Feels like having 3 members of the late 90s offense is just putting too many eggs in one basket.

I'll let the old heads figure out the pre-Elway candidates - here is mine from mid 90s to now.

Elway / Bailey / Von / Rod Smith

Smith being my wildcard, I think his story from undrafted to having a similar career to Michael Irvin is a great one.

Elway / Davis / Manning / Miller

Would be my choice as a fan since the mid 90s as well. Toughest omissions were Bailey and Sharpe, for sure. 

Obviously Manning isn't my favorite choice since he is more of a Colt and the Broncos are such an iconic franchise with many incredible lifetime Broncos......but who has more iconic moments and is the better/more relevant/more popular/more important Bronco? Manning or Bailey/Sharpe? I feel like I would need to lean Manning even if I don't really want to lol 

• Like 1

I went with players who were drafted by the Broncos and spent their entire careers with the Broncos.  However, he ended his career with the Broncos, so he is a lifer to me.  Also, I get Davis didn't have a long career, but I am certain we don't win a first Super Bowl without him. 

• Like 2

Elway / Manning/ Davis / Tie between Von and Bailey

Manning had some of his best seasons as a Bronco. Went to two Superbowls as a Bronco. Retired a Bronco. Still lives in Denver and still refers to the team as "we". He is a Denver Bronco, and will be remembered as such. Wait till his HOF speech.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

Elway / Manning/ Davis / Tie between Von and Bailey

Manning had some of his best seasons as a Bronco. Went to two Superbowls as a Bronco. Retired a Bronco. Still lives in Denver and still refers to the team as "we". He is a Denver Bronco, and will be remembered as such. Wait till his HOF speech.

I think the Colts really kind of d***ck punched Manning. 

• Like 1

I think there have to be two locks (lower case L for now) in John Elway and Mr. B. 

After that, it gets tricky. Champ is the best defensive player in team history, with all due respect to the greats from the Orange Crush era, as evidenced by being a first-ballot HOF'r. But Von has probably been the most impactful defensive player as he was the force that drove us to the SB50 win. 

Sharpe is one of the elite TEs to ever play the game and was a lockerroom leader and fan favorite on the first two Super Bowl teams. Davis' career was short but also very impactful. You also cannot discount what Peyton meant to the team and the league, even though he did spend the majority of his career in Indy. 

So there is certainly a lot of debate to be had. I would lean towards game-wide legends whose impact was historically great. Therefore, I would go Elway, Mr. B. Champ, Peyton. 

37 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think there have to be two locks (lower case L for now) in John Elway and Mr. B. 

After that, it gets tricky. Champ is the best defensive player in team history, with all due respect to the greats from the Orange Crush era, as evidenced by being a first-ballot HOF'r. But Von has probably been the most impactful defensive player as he was the force that drove us to the SB50 win. 

Sharpe is one of the elite TEs to ever play the game and was a lockerroom leader and fan favorite on the first two Super Bowl teams. Davis' career was short but also very impactful. You also cannot discount what Peyton meant to the team and the league, even though he did spend the majority of his career in Indy. 

So there is certainly a lot of debate to be had. I would lean towards game-wide legends whose impact was historically great. Therefore, I would go Elway, Mr. B. Champ, Peyton. 

No Shanahan? 

24 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

No Shanahan? 

He didn't really do anything without Elway. His drafts in the 00's usually left something to be desired. Bowlen should have let him go to Florida after the 2001 season (Bowlen interferes there, but he is nowhere to be found when Reeves wants to draft a QB in 92 [when Elway needed a WR and some linemen]? What the heck?).

• Like 1

I don’t think Peyton can qualify for ours. Anyone who has more qualifications for another team’s Rushmore shouldn’t be on yours, in my opinion. And I love Peyton. 

Elway, TD, Von are my locks. Great careers across the board, all capped off with SB MVP’s. The last spot could go so many different ways. If you’re making this organizational wide, not just players, it’s gotta be Mr. Bowlen. If it’s just players, I think I’d flip a coin between Gradishar and Champ, leaning Champ because that’s who I got to watch. His 2006 season was the most incredible year I’ve seen a football player play. He would’ve had more all-pro selections if he played with more consistently quality CB’s across from him, but QB’s rarely had to test him. 

We really need a bigger mountain. My data base goes back over 50 years and there have really been some great ones. They just never got any recognition. 

Come to think of it, as long as you could smell the stockyards from the stadium nobody knew who the Bronco's were.

• Like 1