Bronco Mount Rushmore

jsthomp2007

10 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I don’t think Peyton can qualify for ours. Anyone who has more qualifications for another team’s Rushmore shouldn’t be on yours, in my opinion. And I love Peyton. 

Elway, TD, Von are my locks. Great careers across the board, all capped off with SB MVP’s. The last spot could go so many different ways. If you’re making this organizational wide, not just players, it’s gotta be Mr. Bowlen. If it’s just players, I think I’d flip a coin between Gradishar and Champ, leaning Champ because that’s who I got to watch. His 2006 season was the most incredible year I’ve seen a football player play. He would’ve had more all-pro selections if he played with more consistently quality CB’s across from him, but QB’s rarely had to test him. 

Peyton was the more impactful player for us than Champ, IMO, and that is why I think he has a strong case to be on a mt rushmore. I'd lean with you on rather leaving him out....but he definitely can qualify. He was massive for this organization on and off the field. Led the team to a Super Bowl. Had 5 straight division titles or whatever. That's major. But yeah obviously this will all be subjective to everyone. 

Champ might be the best player to have played in Denver during my lifetime, but he was also only a part of 2 (?) good defenses. 2006 and 2012?  Or am I downplaying some of those teams defensively?

57 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Champ might be the best player to have played in Denver during my lifetime, but he was also only a part of 2 (?) good defenses. 2006 and 2012?  Or am I downplaying some of those teams defensively?

As an aside, Champ is exhibit A for my thesis that the cornerback position in football is overrated. We watched a 5-6 year peak possibly as good as any in NFL history from a CB, and it helped us very little. Got a few pass rushers a little later and it changed everything. An elite front seven with average DB’s will make a much better D than an average front seven with an elite secondary. I’d even take an elite safety over a corner. Corners are the most difficult defensive position to scheme advantageously. Every other position can be moved around more easily to exploit matchups.

That being said, there probably aren’t 3 better corners in NFL history. How many Broncos can you say belong in their positional Rushmore league-wide? 

22 hours ago, paul-mac said:

No Shanahan? 

For some reason I didn't think of coaches for the list. I suppose Mike has a strong argument to be made, we were routinely competitive during his tenure, he's easily the best HC this team ever had and even though he wasn't part of the organization for the SB50 win, his influence was huge on that team as well. Also remember he was not only the HC for the first two Super Bowls, he was on Reeves' staffs during the three SBs we went to the 1980s. 

I think Mike deserves very, very strong consideration. Given his tenure with the team in multiple capacities, I'd put Mike on the wall, probably replacing Peyton just because of Peyton's shorter tenure. 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

For some reason I didn't think of coaches for the list. I suppose Mike has a strong argument to be made, we were routinely competitive during his tenure, he's easily the best HC this team ever had and even though he wasn't part of the organization for the SB50 win, his influence was huge on that team as well. Also remember he was not only the HC for the first two Super Bowls, he was on Reeves' staffs during the three SBs we went to the 1980s. 

I think Mike deserves very, very strong consideration. Given his tenure with the team in multiple capacities, I'd put Mike on the wall, probably replacing Peyton just because of Peyton's shorter tenure. 

I love Mike, but an argument can be made that Kubs goes up before mike. As a player, ast coach, and head coach he was a part of all 3 lombardis and 3 other SB appearances.

my 4:

Elway (the man behind every SB season), Little (put Denver on the map), Gradishar (the face of the first dominant unit), Mr. B (built the culture)

• Like 1

Rod Smith is another name not getting any recognition.  Ultimate professional and person who still is connected with the team.  Spent his entire career as a Bronco. Won 2 SBs and holds every major receiving record in franchise history.  

I don’t know that I’d have him in my top 4, but he deserves to be part of the conversation.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I love Mike, but an argument can be made that Kubs goes up before mike. As a player, ast coach, and head coach he was a part of all 3 lombardis and 3 other SB appearances.

my 4:

Elway (the man behind every SB season), Little (put Denver on the map), Gradishar (the face of the first dominant unit), Mr. B (built the culture)

I think this best four. 

15 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Well give us your top four, AKRNA.

I  think you missed my point. We've had many great players from multiple era's. Way more than 4. 

Like I said, we need a bigger mountain.

• Like 1