Supplemental Draft

candyman93

With the college football season in question due to Covid-19. Mike Lombardi brought up an interesting possibility, this years supplemental draft could be the largest in history. Some potential names I’ve seen thrown out there who could declare:

Travis Etienne

Najee Harris

Devonta Smith

Liam Eichenberg

Creed Humphrey

Tyler Shelvin

Dylan Moses

Richard LeCounte

JaCoby Stevens

Edited by candyman93

37 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

With the college football season in question due to Covid-19. Mike Lombardi brought up an interesting possibility, this years supplemental draft could be the largest in history. Some potential names I’ve seen thrown out there who could declare:

Travis Etienne

Najee Harris

Devonta Smith

Liam Eichenberg

Creed Humphrey

Tyler Shelvin

Dylan Moses

Richard LeCounte

JaCoby Stevens

If the college football season is in question, then why would the NFL season not be in question?  Here are who I think are the top players potentially who could have came out for the draft this year, the class ranking is what they were last season.  Stevens is a OLB prospect and needs another season honestly I feel, Nasirildeen is a better prospect at this point I feel.  Shelvin at DT is very so so, Marvin Wilson is the dude there not Shelvin.  

Marvin Wilson Florida State JR

Shaun Wade Ohio State RS SOPH

Alex Leatherwood Alabama JR

Tamorrion Terry Florida State RS SOPH

Travis Etienne Clemson JR

Pat Freiermuth Penn State RS SOPH

Najee Harris Alabama JR

Alaric Jackson Iowa RS JR

Jaylen Twyman Pitt RS SOPH

Josh Myers Ohio State RS SOPH

Liam Eichenberg Notre Dame RS JR

Trey Smith Tennessee JR

Chuba Hubbard Ok State RS SOPH

Wyatt Davis Ohio State RS SOPH

Walker Little Stanford JR

Creed Humphrey Oklahoma RS SOPH

Devonta Smith Alabama JR

Patrick Jones II Pitt RS JR

Hamsah Nasirildeen Florida State JR

Dylan Moses Alabama JR

Thomas Graham Jr Oregon JR

Camryn Bynum Cal RS JR

Paulson Adebo Stanford RS SOPH

Carlos Basham Jr. Wake Forest RS JR

Kylin Hill Miss State JR

Damonte Coxie Memphis RS JR

Tyler Vaughns USC RS JR

Rakeem Boyd Arkansas JR

Brady Breeze Oregon RS JR

Paddy Fisher Northwestern RS JR

Charlie Kolar Iowa State RS SOPH

Journey Brown Penn State RS SOPH

Cade Otton Washington RS SOPH

Sure there are others as well, but it will be interesting.  Doesn't a team lost quite a lot if they draft one of these dudes though if they do declare.  

Here are the supplemental draft picks over the past 10 years.

2010 Harvey Unga FB

2010 Josh Brent NT

2011 Terrell Pryor

2012 Josh Gordon WR

2015 Isaiah Battle OT

2018 Sam Beal CB

2018 Adonis Alexander CB 

2019 Jalen Thompson S

All these guys were suspended, kicked out of school or academically not eligible.  So not sure any of the guys above can do anything unless they literally get kicked out of school, do not make the grade or are suspended for some violation.  I don't think you can just do that and enter just because you changed your mind, if that was the case tons of players would do it.  

I mean, if both College and NFL season are in danger, it would be the smart thing to do for those kids to enter the supplemental draft so they can already get paid instead off sitting on their *** for a year and then entering the regular draft. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

If the college football season is in question, then why would the NFL season not be in question? 

Where did I say this?

You can have a supplemental draft without a NFL season starting.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I don’t know much about him. Is he a LT at the next level?

I assume a RT, he is a good run blocker but sure possibly could play LT

25 minutes ago, Killashaw said:

I mean, if both College and NFL season are in danger, it would be the smart thing to do for those kids to enter the supplemental draft so they can already get paid instead off sitting on their *** for a year and then entering the regular draft. 

"In July, the league may hold one supplemental draft for players whose eligibility has changed since the NFL Draft. A player may not bypass the NFL Draft to be eligible for the supplemental draft."

Again what about the eligibility about any of these guys has changed?  Outside of being suspended for the season, being academically ineligible or getting kicked off the team what would allow any of them to just be in the supplemental draft this year?  I guess if they purposefully got kicked out of school academically or did some crazy **** I suppose.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I assume a RT, he is a good run blocker but sure possibly could play LT

"In July, the league may hold one supplemental draft for players whose eligibility has changed since the NFL Draft. A player may not bypass the NFL Draft to be eligible for the supplemental draft."

Again what about the eligibility about any of these guys has changed?  Outside of being suspended for the season, being academically ineligible or getting kicked off the team what would allow any of them to just be in the supplemental draft this year?  I guess if they purposefully got kicked out of school academically or did some crazy **** I suppose.

Common sense would dictate making an exception during a unprecedented global pandemic. If college football is possibly cancelled, you think it’s crazy that the NCAA / NFL wouldn’t let a bunch of guys suddenly become eligible?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Common sense would dictate making an exception during a unprecedented global pandemic. If college football is possibly cancelled, you think it’s crazy that the NCAA / NFL wouldn’t let a bunch of guys suddenly become eligible?

That has not happened yet, and there still is the issue of making them eligible for what?  Sitting and not playing in the NFL just like they would in college?  Only way it makes sense is if college football is canceled and the NFL is not.  Honestly that is not that likely to happen, if one is canceled the other will be as well I feel.  Maybe a lot of guys will petition the league though and force their hand.  

Teams bid draft picks, anywhere from a 7th rounder to a 1st rounder and the highest bidder gets the player.  If multiple good players can declare that would be pretty insane.  Still no clue how they plan on paying these guys or even the current rookies if the NFL season is in danger of being canceled.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Only way it makes sense is if college football is canceled and the NFL is not.  Honestly that is not that likely to happen, if one is canceled the other will be as well I feel. 

What you’re forgetting is that the NCAA has to go by a school schedule and not interfere too much with other sports.

The NFL can start a season whenever they want to.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

If you're a first rounder why would you even think about it? Surely the pay of a first rounder will be more than the pay of a supplemental draft pick?

Also it would mean that you are not competing to be drafted against other college athletes. The supplemental draft is a "blind auction" where a club will offer the lowest possible pick that they believe will get the player. It's a no lose issue for NFL teams and everything to lose for players. If any of the players have half decent managers then they wouldn't enter the supplemental draft. They would just lose too much money over the long term.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ozzy said:

All you have to do is drop all your fall 2020 classes. You aren't a full time college student, you aren't eligible to play college football. You don't have to do anything dumb or crazy.

Even if the NFL is cancelled for a year, I get a signing bonus (and I don't think there is any slotting for supplemental picks either) and a year off, versus spending a year in "virtual school" without a great means to income. 

Think there is a very real possibility this year's Supplemental draft is loaded, and I hope they figure out a way to broadcast if so.

• Like 2