Supplemental Draft

candyman93

7 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

All you have to do is drop all your fall 2020 classes. You aren't a full time college student, you aren't eligible to play college football. You don't have to do anything dumb or crazy.

Even if the NFL is cancelled for a year, I get a signing bonus (and I don't think there is any slotting for supplemental picks either) and a year off, versus spending a year in "virtual school" without a great means to income. 

Think there is a very real possibility this year's Supplemental draft is loaded, and I hope they figure out a way to broadcast if so.

As @Melbourne 9er said there is financial reasons why, if any of them are 1st round picks potentially in 2021, it would be stupid to enter the NFL draft just to get out of what some school work?  On the list I have I would say 21 of them have 1st round potential.  Here is what these players got paid, a 1st round pick in 2018 and a supplemental draft pick 2018.

Jaire Alexander 4 years $12 million

Sam Beal 4 years $4 million 

Mind you that contract for Beal is pretty high, Jalen Thompson who started 9 games last year for the Cardinals as a supplemental draft pick only got 4 years $2.8 million.  Great for the Cardinals, not so great for Thompson who I feel had 1st or 2nd round potential in 2021, got kicked out of school for violating NCAA rules so his hand was forced.   Adonis Alexander had an even worse contract in 2018, four years $4.6 million but only got actually $700,000 for two seasons and now is on a different team and is scheduled to make $2 million over four years.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

As @Melbourne 9er said there is financial reasons why, if any of them are 1st round picks potentially in 2021, it would be stupid to enter the NFL draft just to get out of what some school work?  On the list I have I would say 21 of them have 1st round potential.  Here is what these players got paid, a 1st round pick in 2018 and a supplemental draft pick 2018.

Mind you that contract for Beal is pretty high, Jalen Thompson who started 9 games last year for the Cardinals as a supplemental draft pick only got 4 years $2.8 million.  Great for the Cardinals, not so great for Thompson who I feel had 1st or 2nd round potential in 2021, got kicked out of school for violating NCAA rules so his hand was forced.   Adonis Alexander had an even worse contract in 2018, four years $4.6 million but only got actually $700,000 for two seasons and now is on a different team and is scheduled to make $2 million over four years.  

I will use your own argument you tried to make.

What if there’s no NFL season? There wouldn’t be a NFL draft in 2021.

If that happens, best case scenario if you’re a Travis Etienne is that you’re a 23 year old hoping to get drafted in 2022.

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I'm not sure your comparison is valid.  Beal got a 4 year, $4.1M deal from the Giants, while Jaire Alexander got a 4 year, $12.1M.  The problem was that Beal was a 3rd round supplemental draft pick.  Carlton Davis got a 4 year, $4.4M deal from the Buccaneers as the 63rd pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.  Brandon Parker got a 4 year, $4.1M deal as the 65th overall pick.  If you were realistically going to be a FRP in 2021, you'd probably be taken in the first round of the supplemental draft.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure your comparison is valid.  Beal got a 4 year, $4.1M deal from the Giants, while Jaire Alexander got a 4 year, $12.1M.  The problem was that Beal was a 3rd round supplemental draft pick.  Carlton Davis got a 4 year, $4.4M deal from the Buccaneers as the 63rd pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.  Brandon Parker got a 4 year, $4.1M deal as the 65th overall pick.  If you were realistically going to be a FRP in 2021, you'd probably be taken in the first round of the supplemental draft.

True, but like someone already said teams are going to bid low.  1st round draft picks are not given up very often unless the trade off is moving down in the draft to get more picks.  Sure maybe you will be drafted in the Supplemental draft for a 1st rounder, or you are a 1st rounder and because of the situation you are drafted in the 3rd round and get paid like one.  That a good idea, yeah sure if money is not a huge deal and you hate college school work.

Last time a 1st round pick was spent on a supplemental draft pick was 1992.   Ahmad Brooks was a 3rd rounder and that kid was a super star college player and a super highly ranked player going out of high school.  Jaried Gaither I had as a potential 1st round pick down the road, and he was drafted for a 5th rounder after he was academically ineligible in the supplemental draft.  Adonis Alexander and Jalen Thompson could have been top ranked players at their positions in the regular draft if both could have stayed at school, and clearly both were not drafted for much in the supplemental draft.  Heck Chris Carter a super talented player was only picked in the supplemental draft for a 4th rounder, but he signed with an agent early and got kicked out of school before that senior year.

Will be interesting how it all goes down.

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True, but like someone already said teams are going to bid low.  1st round draft picks are not given up very often unless the trade off is moving down in the draft to get more picks.  Sure maybe you will be drafted in the Supplemental draft for a 1st rounder, or you are a 1st rounder and because of the situation you are drafted in the 3rd round and get paid like one.  That a good idea, yeah sure if money is not a huge deal and you hate college school work.

When was the last time really had a great prospect come out in the NFL Supplemental Draft?  Beal was a good, but not a great prospect.  Hypothetically speaking, if Trevor Lawrence were to enter his name in the NFL Draft, I'd imagine that 32 teams would put in a claim.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Beal was picked in the 3rd round of the supplemental draft, so he got paid like a 3rd round pick. 

On 5/2/2020 at 1:59 PM, candyman93 said:

Common sense would dictate making an exception during a unprecedented global pandemic. If college football is possibly cancelled, you think it’s crazy that the NCAA / NFL wouldn’t let a bunch of guys suddenly become eligible?

You can’t just let a few select players get exceptions while the vast majority of players aren’t allowed in.

But players could just circumvent this by dropping out of school.

On 5/3/2020 at 8:09 AM, Ozzy said:

why, if any of them are 1st round picks potentially in 2021, it would be stupid to enter the NFL draft just to get out of what some school work?  On the list I have I would say 21 of them have 1st round potential. 

Well a majority of the time, you’re  in the supplemental draft for a reason. Which is going to be a character flag for teams. The situation at  hand is a lot different, these guys would only be declaring cause it means NCAA season was cancelled because of Covid19. So why waste a year waiting to play football, when you could get paid right away. Why waste a year of your 20s. 

• Like 1

Interesting hypothetical - what if every big name player (Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, etc) declared for the supplemental draft?

Cincy would be in an incredibly lucrative situation. As the owner of 1.1 this past season, they could bid a 1 for Lawrence and win his rights. Then, they could either trade Joe Burrow or Lawrence for...geez, for just about anything they wanted. 

Probably won't happen, but interesting possibility.

26 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Well a majority of the time, you’re  in the supplemental draft for a reason. Which is going to be a character flag for teams. The situation at  hand is a lot different, these guys would only be declaring cause it means NCAA season was cancelled because of Covid19. So why waste a year waiting to play football, when you could get paid right away. Why waste a year of your 20s. 

Very true but if the NFL season does not take place either, who says they even get paid for that year as a rookie?  Just saw Korean baseball on ESPN2 today, so who knows what will happen.  Regardless, games with no fans will be boring as hell I must say, especially for college football which has 10 times the environment of a lame NFL game.  

Just now, ET80 said:

Interesting hypothetical - what if every big name player (Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, etc) declared for the supplemental draft?

Cincy would be in an incredibly lucrative situation. As the owner of 1.1 this past season, they could bid a 1 for Lawrence and win his rights. Then, they could either trade Joe Burrow or Lawrence for...geez, for just about anything they wanted. 

Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields cannot declare for the supplemental draft right?  I thought it was only open to players eligible for the 2020 draft, and if you were not eligible for that you will not be for the supplemental draft, but maybe I am wrong on that.  All players must be three years remove from high school and not sure Lawrence of Fields fit that category.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Not eligible, but if they were Cincy would be stupid not to take Lawrence, figure out who they like more between he and Burrow and trade the other for a kings ransom

• Like 1

My understanding is that a player entering the sup draft needs to a) be ineligible for college and b) apply to enter the sup draft for the NFL's approval.

I just dont see the NFL accepting applications when the applications are based on manufactured attempts to drop out of school. I suspect for it to happen the NFL would need to change current rules about the application process so that young guys dont have to try and cheat the system, otherwise its a poor system.

Also, the NFL would need to consider roster sizes which would be interesting. Its also going to be an interesting problem for dynasty and empire fantasy leagues...

#KeepYourWab

Edited by GordyTheGoffer