Supplemental Draft

candyman93

46 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Interesting hypothetical - what if every big name player (Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, etc) declared for the supplemental draft?

Cincy would be in an incredibly lucrative situation. As the owner of 1.1 this past season, they could bid a 1 for Lawrence and win his rights. Then, they could either trade Joe Burrow or Lawrence for...geez, for just about anything they wanted. 

Probably won't happen, but interesting possibility.

Just a couple of points:

1. Those guys wouldn’t be eligible. The guys who could have declared for 2020, but didn’t, they’d be eligible.

2. 99% sure the supplemental draft gets randomized in terms of who gets to bid 1st.

Edited by candyman93

7 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

1. Those guys wouldn’t be eligible. The guys who could have declared for 2020, but didn’t, they’d be eligible.

Ah, yes - you're right, my bad.

7 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

2. 99% sure the supplemental draft gets randomized in terms of who gets to bid 1st.

I thought it was on prior draft order? I don't know, didn't validate that...

53 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Very true but if the NFL season does not take place either, who says they even get paid for that year as a rookie?

They would still get The signing bonus. Just won’t accuse a year on the contract

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:
17 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I thought it was on prior draft order? I don't know, didn't validate that...

Yep pretty sure it goes off of the prior season standings 

13 hours ago, buno67 said:

Yep pretty sure it goes off of the prior season standings 

The Sup draft is a little more complex I believe. It is based on the prev years performance. All teams are divided into 3 groups with the worst teams being in group A, the best teams being in group C. A lottery defines the pick order within each group. The teams send blind bids to the league for players with the currency being picks from next years full draft. The highest bid (future draft pick) wins the player and the team who win lose that pick from the following years full draft. In the event that multiple teams offer the same bid the lottery system comes into effect.

This is the question that needs answered ultimately:

If College Football is officially cancelled before the supplemental draft, doesn't that qualify as putting ones upcoming season in jeopardy?

I could see lawsuits coming from that question being answered incorrectly. If the CFB season is cancelled, the NFL needs to simply not have a supplemental draft or make exceptions this year.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

NFL doesn't have to worry about whether "students" are on campus or not. The NFL could play in empty stadiums with the resources they have. Not ideal, but it could happen. 

So, assuming the NFL cannot play if NCAA cannot doesn't compute. They both could cancel, but the NFL has a lot more leeway and resources to work with.

• Like 1

So if it's for people who could have declared but didn't, that's a very odd metric. 

A Jr who decides to go back for a Sr year? They could've declared, but didn't, and so declaring for the Sup Draft would possibly run afoul of the rules regarding not purposefully skipping the draft "for the supplemental draft". But with the current situation, it's tough to say whether there would be an argument for that (ie: Jr intended to go back for a Sr year that is now in jeopardy clearly didn't intend on skipping the draft for the supplemental back in Jan). 

I would presume that RSr and grad transfer guys would have open season, as they're eligible not really tied to the school anymore. 

My guess is we see quite a few of the latter and a lot of talks about exceptions. But I'd certainly go to court with it and probably be fairly confident in walking out with blanket eligibility based on the language and circumstances. 

If the NCAA cancels the fall season by the middle of June, i think it would be far more feasible to just allow 4th and 5th year college athletes to enter an April style draft, and make it a one time only thing due to the extraordinary circumstances.  Decide how many rounds it would be based on how many declared for it, then use last months order.  If playoff teams complain about the order, make it an "up and down the river order", where it goes 1-32 in the first, then 32-1 in the second round, 1-32 in the third, and so forth.  

I say this because there would be a huge number of players potentially declaring.  If it's only a few, do it the normal way.

Can Trevor Lawrence enter the supplemantal draft, especially if the college season is to be delayed or canceled?

edit: please merge into Supp draft thread I hadn't seen... sorry

Edited by dcat

On 5/3/2020 at 12:31 PM, CWood21 said:

When was the last time really had a great prospect come out in the NFL Supplemental Draft?  Beal was a good, but not a great prospect.  Hypothetically speaking, if Trevor Lawrence were to enter his name in the NFL Draft, I'd imagine that 32 teams would put in a claim.

Can Lawrence enter if he wants to?  If the NCAA is canceled or very delayed, could he decide to enter Supp draft?