Jets to sign CB Logan Ryan (Per "Source")

Bianconero

I agree, from my view, this doesn’t make sense. But Gregg Williams earned the benefit of the doubt. He’s the best Jets defensive coach I’ve seen. And we've had a ton of good defensive coaches swing by the last two decades. Joe D is building the team with the coaches feedback. Gregg is cooking something up in his lab.

I just think the plan is blitz the hell out of the other team. 

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 1

I like the signing.  The more DBs the better.  It is clear the defense is going to a better unit than the offense.   I trust Greg Williams is going to have the defense running around like a bunch of Cujos.   I see the defense being a top 10 unit even without the added pass rusher. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

I think adding a proven vet like Ryan at this stage is a huge addition.. But I agree with the points you make and would rather add a guy like Warford if it came down to it.

On the surface, it doesn't really make sense because a guy like this is expected to contribute and obviously we're set at slot. If we sign him, you just have to assume GW has a master plan to utilize all these defensive backs to mask our deficiencies rushing the passer. Wouldn't shock me to see 6 on the field at once like the Chargers were doing a few years ago. GW is so schematically diverse it allows to us to put the best 11 playmakers on the field (Within reason of course).

Also, I disagree with the notion we're not contending so why bother. In order to eventually contend, we have to start by building a winning culture and change the perception of this organization. Even if Ryan just helps us push for the AFC East this year, that helps in the long run IMO. We'd be sacrificing a few mil in roll-over cap, not mortgaging the future. Bad teams tend to stay bad.. 

I never said why bother.   But teams that are in win now mode should be signing 30 year old guys.  Where as we have really young guys who might turn out to be much better than Ryan given the reps.  Bad teams don't improve by signing 30 year olds,  they improve by developing some of their young guys.   

• Like 1

I really like him, but I feel pretty good about the CB's we've added along with Bless & Pool. So I never felt like we need him. Desir & Wilson are going back to man coverage. Bless will finally have an offseason and a chance to build off his performance last season. Hairston is still 25 and is good depth/competition. Bryce Hall and Lamar Jackson will be involved as well at some point. Guidry might be someone to watch as well. I really believe we will find our 2 CBs out of this group. 

I really think Larry Warford is the guy to go for.  I wanted him during the draft. He's 28? Someone like him, Vet WR(Pending on how our WRs look in camp), and a vet pass rusher to rotate with JZ. I'll be set. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

I never said why bother.   But teams that are in win now mode should be signing 30 year old guys.  Where as we have really young guys who might turn out to be much better than Ryan given the reps.  Bad teams don't improve by signing 30 year olds,  they improve by developing some of their young guys.   

Win now mode insinuates a splash, signing a quality player on what is likely to be a modest one year deal doesn't qualify.. But it does make us more competitive in a year where the division is finally up for grabs.

Also, Ryan wouldn't be getting in the way of any development. Competition breeds progress. Guys like Maulet/Harriston are better suited as depth and should in no way restrict us from improving the position (He wouldn't be cutting into Bless' opportunities on the outside). Speaking of depth, just look what happened to the Eagles secondary last season.. I'm sure Douglas took note. I see where you're coming from but I guess I view the addition differently.

EDIT: For the record, I'd still prefer Warford or one of the available pass rushers if I had the choice..

Edited by NJC33
  • Like 1

I’m curious to see how much he signs for. If it’s a 1yr $7-8 mil deal, that would be great. Means we can still make another signing without having cut someone. 

Overthecap $15 million

Net impact of Rookie deals ($3M)

Tru June 1st cut +$11M

Depending on how much he signs for, we’d still have roughly $15M to work with after June 1st. 

Edited by SDotNova

I think if we get Ryan you will see GW start to send blitz from all over. This is what I like. I hate the idea of getting one good edge and hope he pulls through. I think having a bunch of guys with 6-8 sacks. This way it is harder to block. 

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I think if we get Ryan you will see GW start to send blitz from all over. This is what I like. I hate the idea of getting one good edge and hope he pulls through. I think having a bunch of guys with 6-8 sacks. This way it is harder to block. 

Unless Zuniga is the real deal or Jenkins has a breakout season... that pressure is going to have to come from ILBs, CBs and Ss.

3 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Same. Reminds me of the Rex years. Have the defense go on the attack. It was a lot of fun to watch. Revis made the Rex secondary special though. This time, we will hopefully have an offense that can win games as well.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Unless Zuniga is the real deal or Jenkins has a breakout season... that pressure is going to have to come from ILBs, CBs and Ss.

Yeah very true. The pressure is what matters. Yes its great to have a finisher, usually leads to more turnovers when someone gets their hands on the QB or ball carrier in the backfield, but so long as we are consistently generating pressure I dont quite care where it comes from.

Interesting thing I noticed, and forgive me for not still having the post, but when our first depth chart had come out, I noticed Foley Fatukasi was the starting QW and Anderson...I absolutely love that. Those three could really eat up blockers for a 4th rusher.  

3 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Yeah very true. The pressure is what matters. Yes its great to have a finisher, usually leads to more turnovers when someone gets their hands on the QB or ball carrier in the backfield, but so long as we are consistently generating pressure I dont quite care where it comes from.

Interesting thing I noticed, and forgive me for not still having the post, but when our first depth chart had come out, I noticed Foley Fatukasi was the starting QW and Anderson...I absolutely love that. Those three could really eat up blockers for a 4th rusher.  

We’ve seen over the last decade that just stuffing the run and a good secondary doesn’t get the job done to be a contender anymore. You need guys getting after the QB... period.

This is all rather pointless though if you can’t score points. 

25 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We’ve seen over the last decade that just stuffing the run and a good secondary doesn’t get the job done to be a contender anymore. You need guys getting after the QB... period.

This is all rather pointless though if you can’t score points. 

I don’t think that’s true. Rex showed you can do it with coverage earlier in the decade. And just look at the defenses that carried their teams to the playoffs last year. Buffalo and New England are carried by their secondary and neither had a guy with 10 or more sacks. Tennessee’s defense carried them and they also didn’t have a 10+ sack guy. San Fran had one guy with 10 sacks but their front 4 carried them. And GBs edge guys carried them. If anything, the last decade shows it can be done both ways. You just need one of the units to be really good.

Seattle is another team that previously showed it can be done with coverage.

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SDotNova said:

I don’t think that’s true. Rex showed you can do it with coverage earlier in the decade. And just look at the defenses that carried their teams to the playoffs last year. Buffalo and New England are carried by their secondary and neither had a guy with 10 or more sacks. Tennessee’s defense carried them and they also didn’t have a 10+ sack guy. San Fran had one guy with 10 sacks but their front 4 carried them. And GBs edge guys carried them. If anything, the last decade shows it can be done both ways. You just need one of the units to be really good.

Seattle is another team that previously showed it can be done with coverage.

We had the the best CB duo in the league at that time. While I’m a fan of guys like Desir, Austin, Poole and Ryan (if we got him)... that’s not even close to Revis and Cro. I mean not even in the same zip code. It’s like saying Perriman, Mims and Crowder are comparable to Hopkins, Fitz and Kirk IMO.