Jets to sign CB Logan Ryan (Per "Source")

Bianconero

Versatile chess piece for GW; Any other DC and I wouldn't get the fit but I trust GW to make it work.

Crazy how much Douglas has been able to overhaul both the OL and secondary in one off-season. I like that he decided to attack the defense from the top down.. Similar approach to the Patriots, Ravens and Eagles (Injuries). Gives GW more flexibility, which is obviously how he likes to operate. Also, Ryan is accustom to winning so hopefully he can bring that mindset to a locker room desperately in need. 

• Like 1

I hope we don't sign him.   This signing would do nothing for me at all.   He better in the slot but Poole is better in the slot than Ryan.   

He was actually pretty bad in coverage last year.   He was bailed out by a handful of splash plays.   If you look at the rest of his career this INTs and sacks seem like a bit of an aberration. 

I'd rather let younger guys get the reps.   It's not like we're a contender this year anyway.   Spend the money on offense to help Sam develop. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rampantjet said:

I hope we don't sign him.   This signing would do nothing for me at all.   He better in the slot but Poole is better in the slot than Ryan.   

He was actually pretty bad in coverage last year.   He was bailed out by a handful of splash plays.   If you look at the rest of his career this INTs and sacks seem like a bit of an aberration. 

I'd rather let younger guys get the reps.   It's not like we're a contender this year anyway.   Spend the money on offense to help Sam develop. 

I think adding a proven vet like Ryan at this stage is a huge addition.. But I agree with the points you make and would rather add a guy like Warford if it came down to it.

On the surface, it doesn't really make sense because a guy like this is expected to contribute and obviously we're set at slot. If we sign him, you just have to assume GW has a master plan to utilize all these defensive backs to mask our deficiencies rushing the passer. Wouldn't shock me to see 6 on the field at once like the Chargers were doing a few years ago. GW is so schematically diverse it allows to us to put the best 11 playmakers on the field (Within reason of course).

Also, I disagree with the notion we're not contending so why bother. In order to eventually contend, we have to start by building a winning culture and change the perception of this organization. Even if Ryan just helps us push for the AFC East this year, that helps in the long run IMO. We'd be sacrificing a few mil in roll-over cap, not mortgaging the future. Bad teams tend to stay bad.. 

• Like 1