Jets to sign CB Logan Ryan (Per "Source")

Bianconero

15 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

You resurrected this thread to make this point? 

Actually, I did it to expound upon how great of a fit he would be, and how I think he ultimately signs there. He's great at all of the little things, and if you used him as an undersized LB/S hybrid, that would be huge for this defense.

I feel like they actually have the personnel to run a 2018 Chargers-style defense, with DBs being physical in the ground game and controlling the middle of the field while restricting mobile QBs. This would be especially important in the 2020 AFC East, where the other QBs of note are: 

Cam Newton

Josh Allen (who, to me, is a lot like Cam as far as play-style goes - even as far as designed inside QB runs go - and you have the Carolina connection with McDermott)

Ryan Fitzpatrick (who actually led the Dolphins in rushing last season)

Tua Tagovailo'a (good scrambling QB, like a more mobile Brees)

Jarrett Stidham (when he remembers that he's mobile, he's very dangerous, but luckily he's a statue most of the time)

I also think this type of defense, where you have 6 DBs on the field on most plays, is the future of the NFL. It's a spread defense. It allows you to blanket every level of the field and force teams to run on you, but they have to grind out every yard, as it's a lot harder to beat DBs in the open field than it is to beat LBs. And you can swarm RBs after they have the ball. Guys like Derrick Henry will have some success, but people like Devin Singletary are going to really struggle to elude so many guys who have so much range.

This type of defense will also very much limit teams after the catch, which will be huge. Other teams are going to have to be comfortable making contested throws downfield on every play, and you're going to typically generate a lot of turnovers that way.

Furthermore, this is the type of defense that the Jets have the TALENT for. Not just the personnel. If you look at the potential game-changers on the Jets defense, or guys who can do something very well - or even guys who have the POTENTIAL to be really good - you have Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, Avery Williamson, Quinnen Williams, Henry Anderson, Steve McClendon, CJ Mosley, Blessuan Austin, Pierre Desir, Brian Poole, and Bryce Hall. Logan Ryan would be an ideal player to plug in as a second inside DB, allowing Hall to rotate on the outside with Austin and Desir. Ashtyn Davis has the potential to be a rotational guy on the inside or downfield, but he really needs to develop both his head and his heart. He also could stand to develop a bigger payload, but he has athleticism. 

Anyways, Gregg Williams' strength is developing different ways to pressure the QB, and the Jets have a number of DBs who could be really good at firing into the backfield. Logan Ryan would only strengthen that aspect further.

It makes sense schematically in nickel defense, too. Ryan would easily be a top-3 corner on the Jets. He struggles deep, but he's still a strong starting corner with a great reputation in the locker room. The Titans also employed a lot of similar concepts in coverage, which is huge in a short off-season.

I don't know, Ryan just makes so much sense on so many levels.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

@HoboRocket so you want to pay Ryan....do you want to pay Adams?

Yep! Do I want to pay him 20+? Absolutely not. 17-18, however, is something that I'd totally be willing to do, as well as paying Ryan a one-year deal for around 7-8 million. I think both sides would eventually be satisfied with those totals. Adams is really a key to this puzzle. He plays like an LB in a safety's body - and I mean that in the best way. He's invaluable to a system like I described. Having guys like Adams, Maye, Poole, and Ryan - guys that can be used in numerous ways and blitz effectively - allow the Jets to roll with Henry Anderson, Quinnen Williams, and Jordan Jenkins as really their only every-down pass-rushers. In reality, if Gregg Williams is able to actually generate a decent pass-rush from all of these blitzes, and this team ends up having a top-defense, then they're saving millions. You can pay Jamal Adams as the best safety in football by a comfortable amount, and he'd be making less than some edge players that are only good. Make the scheme fit the talent, and you're not overpaying. And really, the NFL isn't gaining safeties as talented as Jamal. There aren't many who can do what he can do - Derwin James is the only other one that's on his rookie deal. Most safeties either are solid in coverage, athletes, or box-type guys. If a safety is two of those, then you have a good player. Jamal is all three. No, he's not an elite center-fielder. That's not up for debate, though. He's invaluable with what he CAN do. I would gladly pay him. No, he doesn't hit like a truck the way some safeties did. However, he hits like a LB, with the ideal body-type of a safety, and the ability to measure up in coverage. I'll put it to you this way: I'd rather have Jamal Adams than Logan Ryan twice. 

And look. People are throwing a fit, saying he's only played three years, he's too young to get an extension. Let me re-phrase: He's only played three years, and yet we're having a serious discussion about his worthiness for a mega-deal. As a wise man once said, that speaks volumes. It's very telling that he's not even 25 and already has multiple Pro-Bowls under his belt. This guy was widely recognized as the best at his position in the NFL last season. 

Would I pay him? Absolutely.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

Yep! Do I want to pay him 20+? Absolutely not. 17-18, however, is something that I'd totally be willing to do, as well as paying Ryan a one-year deal for around 7-8 million. I think both sides would eventually be satisfied with those totals. Adams is really a key to this puzzle. He plays like an LB in a safety's body - and I mean that in the best way. He's invaluable to a system like I described. Having guys like Adams, Maye, Poole, and Ryan - guys that can be used in numerous ways and blitz effectively - allow the Jets to roll with Henry Anderson, Quinnen Williams, and Jordan Jenkins as really their only every-down pass-rushers. In reality, if Gregg Williams is able to actually generate a decent pass-rush from all of these blitzes, and this team ends up having a top-defense, then they're saving millions. You can pay Jamal Adams as the best safety in football by a comfortable amount, and he'd be making less than some edge players that are only good. Make the scheme fit the talent, and you're not overpaying. And really, the NFL isn't gaining safeties as talented as Jamal. There aren't many who can do what he can do - Derwin James is the only other one that's on his rookie deal. Most safeties either are solid in coverage, athletes, or box-type guys. If a safety is two of those, then you have a good player. Jamal is all three. No, he's not an elite center-fielder. That's not up for debate, though. He's invaluable with what he CAN do. I would gladly pay him. No, he doesn't hit like a truck the way some safeties did. However, he hits like a LB, with the ideal body-type of a safety, and the ability to measure up in coverage. I'll put it to you this way: I'd rather have Jamal Adams than Logan Ryan twice. 

And look. People are throwing a fit, saying he's only played three years, he's too young to get an extension. Let me re-phrase: He's only played three years, and yet we're having a serious discussion about his worthiness for a mega-deal. As a wise man once said, that speaks volumes. It's very telling that he's not even 25 and already has multiple Pro-Bowls under his belt. This guy was widely recognized as the best at his position in the NFL last season. 

Would I pay him? Absolutely.

Are you Richard Sherman?  C’mon, fess up. 

• Like 1