Raiders sign CB Prince Amukamara

RaidersAreOne

8 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Yeah that puts Lawson, Nelson, Nixon and Maybin on the bubble, not like they weren't already but now only one spot MAYBE available. Depends if Joyner takes a CB spot or a S spot. With Abrams, Randall, Heath and Harris all being in (that is a big assumption on Randall and Harris) then you start looking at were guys like Muse, White or Leavitt fit. Who is going to PS...gonna be an interesting roster cutdown with the lack of full true eval on the field.

I think Muse takes Leavitt's spot. I wouldn't mind carrying 7 CB's if Joyner is going to be in a hybrid role. 

DL - 9 (Crosby, Nassib, Ferrell, Key, Hurst, Hall, Collins, Hankins, Jordan?)

LB - 5 (Littleton, Kwit, Muse, Lee, Morrow) 

CB - 6 (Mullen, Arnette, Prince, Robertson, Johnson, Lawson)

S - 5 (Randall, Heath, Abram, Harris, Joyner)

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Ian said they also talked with Kirkpatrick which is not surprising. 

I'm glad they went with Amukamara. He fits better for what they've looked for in CBs as an active guy in run support.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Dessie said:

Agree with a lot of this but don’t understand what Johnson has done to be ahead of Lawson at this point ? Lawson played pretty well at the back end of the season, had 4 pass break ups in 1 game against the Chargers and showed he can play either CB spot and nickel, and is good on ST.   

I see it that way:

We have Mullen and Amukamara now to nándor the outside. We have Arnette behind them as a guy, who can play.

We have Joyner and Amik behind him at NCB.

That is 5 CBs and I think we carry 6. That last spot is Johnson in my mind, because of his potential. He van play ST and some limited snaps and continue to grow. We don't need that 6th CB to really play.

Lawson is a below avg CB, who could have been the veteran guy, but now we have Amukamara.

He is suspended for week 1, so I guess he van stay as long at least. If someone gets injured he can step in or maybe they can try to hide Johnson to PS with better success then.

Johnson was super raw when we drafted him, but if he can't show enough to cut Lawson instead that project is doomed...

17 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think Muse takes Leavitt's spot. I wouldn't mind carrying 7 CB's if Joyner is going to be in a hybrid role. 

Give it up. We aren't resigning Jordan. I think we carry 8 DL unless an injury forces us to bring in a few lesser guys.

I also don't think Muse is even close to being listed before Morrow and Lee on the depth chart. Plus I think we carry one more LB whether it's Wilbur, Eligwe or a long shot at White if we are really diving into the hybrid defender pot.

I also think one of the young guys at corner gets a spot even though he will be the one inactive most games. I'm gonna take a flier on an end of the roster guy named Jordan Brown. Has the size and atleteism and why not. It could be any of those 5-6 guys.

DL - 8 (Crosby, Nassib, Ferrell, Key, Hurst, Hall, Collins, Hankins)

LB - 6 (Littleton, Kwit, Morrow, Lee, Eligwe, Muse) 

CB - 7 (Mullen, Arnette, Prince, Robertson, Johnson, Lawson, Brown)

equals 26 + 26 on offense and 3 on special teams equals 55

13 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

equals 26 + 26 on offense and 3 on special teams equals 55

Roster is still at 53. The only difference with the new CBA is up to 2 players from the PS can be active on game day.

• Like 1

Copy and paste of NTL but followed 53 man post above and removed the extra CB for a vet LB which I think is a must.  Doesn't have to be Burfict but looking at this group and seeing how well he played before suspension makes me think he'd be a good addition to get the D communicating early. Also could see 5 CB's (Lawson or Johnson) if they add a vet DE because Joyner & Randall is more depth at both S/NCB and Muse could play S in an emergency. 

DT looks set unless someone is cut but DE/LB could use a vet and G Jackson could be cut if the right vet is available.

LB - 6 (Littleton, Kwit, Burfict Morrow, Lee, Muse) 

CB - 6 (Mullen, Arnette, Prince, Robertson, Johnson, Lawson)

I could see this a a mid 1/3rd Defense only bottom 3rd if they lack communication/chemistry and THAT is why I'd welcome back Burfict.

Edited by G

4 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Roster is still at 53. The only difference with the new CBA is up to 2 players from the PS can be active on game day.

Thank you! I’ve posted the new rules several times and some people still think it’s A straight 55 man team 

22 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I still see one more DL and LB added but that looks about right. I have Lawson on the outside looking in, but would make it if we don’t add anyone else. 

5 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Give it up. We aren't resigning Jordan. I think we carry 8 DL unless an injury forces us to bring in a few lesser guys.

I also don't think Muse is even close to being listed before Morrow and Lee on the depth chart. Plus I think we carry one more LB whether it's Wilbur, Eligwe or a long shot at White if we are really diving into the hybrid defender pot.

I also think one of the young guys at corner gets a spot even though he will be the one inactive most games. I'm gonna take a flier on an end of the roster guy named Jordan Brown. Has the size and atleteism and why not. It could be any of those 5-6 guys.

We carried 9 DL last year on the initial 53 man roster IIRC. Only carrying two at every spot is a little risky, IMO. 

I don't think Muse is going to be listed before Morrow or Lee on the depth chart either. My listing was random. I don't think Wilbur or Eligwe make the team because Muse is going to be our special teams ace. Remember we only carried 4 LB's on the initial 53 man roster last year and the front office didn't seem to concerned with adding much else to the group after signing Littleton/Kwit. 

I think it's likely we only carry 6 CB's but I guess we could carry 7. Although Mullen, Arnette, Johnson, Robertson, Joyner, and Prince all seem like locks to make the roster so it's going to be extremely competitive for guys like Brown, Lawson, or Nixon to make the cut. I also think it'll be harder for end of the roster guys to make it because there will likely be less reps avaliable during TC due to a lack of other offseason activities. Those reps that usually go to those guys will probably go to our young CB's instead.  

5 hours ago, G said:

Copy and paste of NTL but followed 53 man post above and removed the extra CB for a vet LB which I think is a must.  Doesn't have to be Burfict but looking at this group and seeing how well he played before suspension makes me think he'd be a good addition to get the D communicating early. Also could see 5 CB's (Lawson or Johnson) if they add a vet DE because Joyner & Randall is more depth at both S/NCB and Muse could play S in an emergency. 

DT looks set unless someone is cut but DE/LB could use a vet and G Jackson could be cut if the right vet is available.

LB - 6 (Littleton, Kwit, Burfict Morrow, Lee, Muse) 

CB - 6 (Mullen, Arnette, Prince, Robertson, Johnson, Lawson)

I could see this a a mid 1/3rd Defense only bottom 3rd if they lack communication/chemistry and THAT is why I'd welcome back Burfict.

Jackson is still tradeable a guy gets hurt or teams find out their guards are garbage.

Love the pickup. Going with so much youth at the top of the depth chart is a receip for disaster IMO at the NFL level. We were looking at both of our starters and likely another 1 or 2 guys behind them all being in their first or second year of NFL play. There is definitely an advantage in having young legs at CB in the NFL, and I actually think in the right scheme and talent around them it's worth the trade off in inexperience, but only to a point.

Prince really helps balance that. He can come in and start right away and let Arnette get his feet wet a little before being thrown into the fire. I expect him to start the first 3-4 games while Arnette sees more and more action. Prince is just a super solid pro that isn't going to get picked on regularly, and that was the problem with Worley. He would be solid for stretches, but his bad would almost lose you a game by itself. Prince can give us the same steady, solid play without the downright awful games sprinkled in. 

I expect the CB depth chart shakes out with Mullen being our top guy (I think je has a big year, I love what I have seen going back and watching last years games), Prince starts the first few weeks and sees heavy snaps all year, Arnette plays more and more those few weeks before becoming a starter around week 5-6, Joyner plays the nickel for whatever reason and eventually gets replaced by Robinson who as a rookie has his growing pains but is still an improvement over Joyner who goes back to playing more safety, and Johnson plays special teams and continues to try and improve and cash in on his great athletic abilities but lack of consistency and experience at the position. I do really want to see how Johnson looks in camp. He's got it all from a H/W/S perspective.

• Like 1

I think it’s a very solid signing.... one that is done at the back end of the first wave would have been seen as a good move.  Amukamara is a very savy player and solid as the come, very little highs and lows.  Plus good in run support.  I really liked Worley but it’s clearly a major upgrade.