Raiders sign CB Prince Amukamara

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I guess it makes sense to ease Arnette to starter role. Don’t want him to get burned and shatter his confidence. But if we wasn’t a Day 1 starter at age 24 could have draft a CB with a higher ceiling later like Jaylon. Had to say it, but I’m going stop bashing Arnette. Lawson is a no lock to be in the team with his move, if Nelson/Nixon step up, Lawson could be cut 

I don’t think Johnson has a significantly higher ceiling then Arnette.  No disrespect but Johnson is a little overrated around here.  He should never have been a top 25 prospect IMO, he’s 35-50 player. And if Prince starts for the first handful of weeks I don’t think that’s any knock on Arnette’s “potential”. I think Mullen has The potential to be a top 10 CB.  Maybe he just got a good veteran at  CB a good price, which I’m guessing is what happened.  Any contract details? I’ve been working all day long and just sat this.  Personally I don’t put much stock in if a draft pick “starts week one”.  I care about how they finish their rookie season.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

How so?  We needed a vet CB especially considering our rookie/TC may be cut short.  PA looks like a solid vet signing who will provide good depth.  

One of the arguments for taking Arnette at 19 was his pro-readiness and the immediate need at corner. I think there's a good chance Amukamara outplays Arnette in training camp. I also think the reception to the Arnette pick would have been worse had Amukamara signed before the draft.

Also, Arnette is a low-ceiling prospect. I don't think he's a Pro-Bowl talent, and if he doesn't start right away his appeal is lessened because of the aforementioned.

And there's also the chance Mayock and co. think Arnette is an elite prospect--which would be a mid-evaluation in my opinion.

• Like 1

I like the move. According to Player Profiler he was pretty solid for the Bears last season allowing 2.8 receptions and 38.7 yards per game while playing 87% of their defensive snaps. Going to be an uphill battle for Nevin Lawson/Keisean Nixon to make the team. 

Have to think that Mullen, Arnette, Joyner, Robertson, Prince, and Johnson are all locks to make the final 53. 

I am fine with this signing but I would have liked to have seen this before the draft.  With Prince I think we go BPA at 19.  Who that wold have been I do not know but I would be more likely to believe the staff was that high on Arnette if they draft him at 19 still.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I like the move. According to Player Profiler he was pretty solid for the Bears last season allowing 2.8 receptions and 38.7 yards per game while playing 87% of their defensive snaps. Going to be an uphill battle for Nevin Lawson/Keisean Nixon to make the team. 

Have to think that Mullen, Arnette, Joyner, Robertson, Prince, and Johnson are all locks to make the final 53. 

Yeah that puts Lawson, Nelson, Nixon and Maybin on the bubble, not like they weren't already but now only one spot MAYBE available. Depends if Joyner takes a CB spot or a S spot. With Abrams, Randall, Heath and Harris all being in (that is a big assumption on Randall and Harris) then you start looking at were guys like Muse, White or Leavitt fit. Who is going to PS...gonna be an interesting roster cutdown with the lack of full true eval on the field.

I really like this. A lot more then the Apple almost signing before the draft.

Amukamara can start and with a shortened offseason it is welcomed to have a veteran over Arnette. Arnette can learn on the fly and can slowly join in during the year, like Mullen last year.

Mullen and Amukamara are the starting duo now with Joyner as the NCB.

Arnette and Johnson seems to be the depth at outside CB with Amik inside. Lawson and the young guys would need to show up big time in TC to make this team now IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rolni said:

I really like this. A lot more then the Apple almost signing before the draft.

Amukamara can start and with a shortened offseason it is welcomed to have a veteran over Arnette. Arnette can learn on the fly and can slowly join in during the year, like Mullen last year.

Mullen and Amukamara are the starting duo now with Joyner as the NCB.

Arnette and Johnson seems to be the depth at outside CB with Amik inside. Lawson and the young guys would need to show up big time in TC to make this team now IMO.

Agree with a lot of this but don’t understand what Johnson has done to be ahead of Lawson at this point ? Lawson played pretty well at the back end of the season, had 4 pass break ups in 1 game against the Chargers and showed he can play either CB spot and nickel, and is good on ST.   

Happy with the signing. Raiders clearly hope Arnette and Johnson are both good CBs, but at least they know they have a decent guy around.

Pretty sure we can look forward to someone getting stashed on PUP/IR list if they are happy with the CB room. There's a lot of guys that seem worthy of  roster spot, and not enough roster spots to go around. 

Very happy they are attacking the CB position over last two years.  

Amukamara played better in 2018, than 2019, which can be said of entire Bears defense.  PFF had Prince, even with a down year, as Bears 4th most valuable player.

6 hours ago, Dessie said:

Good move, if Arnette outplays him in camp then Prince will likely be cut given he doesn’t play much ST. Vet presence at CB was needed. 

The Raiders need all the CBs for KC, it's not worth cutting him unless he really plays bad, even if he's the third or fourth CB.

• Like 2

I like the move. I know he's had some ups and downs, but I can't remember Amukamara ever being "bad". Vet presence, solid #2, mentor at worst. 

Judging the rest of the AFCW, we need at least 3 starting caliber CBs, and a 4th is practically a need in case of injury. A true backup level CB playing a stretch in the division would be a nightmare, especially with what the Chiefs and Broncos have done with their passing game. 

With Amukamara's pedigree, he either sticks around, or whoever beats him out is clearly viewed a low end starter in their own right. Definitely no "token" competition going on, which is refreshing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

The Raiders need all the CBs for KC, it's not worth cutting him unless he really plays bad, even if he's the third or fourth CB.

Yeah Guenther likes a deep CB group and I guess with the game day roster increased to 48 that we could carry an extra DB that doesn’t play ST.

• Like 2