Week 4 Gameday Thread Steelers @ Ravens

MOSteelers56

On 10/2/2017 at 8:54 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

Our front seven can really get after the passer. We've got 3 starting linemen that can all get after it and 3 of our 4 linebackers can too. Plus, Williams is no slouch at pass rushing. 

Hilton seems to have a knack for blitzing as well.

The weakest link is our safeties.     I dont trust any of them.     Safety is an extremely premium position in the NFL anymore that almost every team has a need at....but our safeties arent really good at anything except occasionally delivering big hits.    They are all pathetic tacklers who pretty much just lower their shoulder and run into ball carriers, but the hits often end up being missed tackles.    I dont mind if they keep Wilcox and Davis around as backups, but if Mitchell isnt cut this offseason, I will really have to question Colbert''s and Tomlin' ability to assess the secondary....moreso than I already do.    They should be going into the 2018 offseason with the mindset that they need two starting safeties.   If Davis is forced to start again, so be it....but they shouldnt go into the offseason with the mindset that he is the established starter.     

I know some will point out that Davis is still young and developing, and to a point, that is true, but if a player is going to be good, you usually see flashes of it even with their mistakes.      With Davis, all I see is a guy with the upside to be average at best.     Thats all Ive ever seen, and nothing he has done has changed my mind. 

Sorry for the rant....but I hated our safety tandem coming into the season, and all theyve done thus far is prove my fears were legit.   

5 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

The weakest link is our safeties. 

I agree with this. Davis doesn't do any one thing well. He's an average tackler, average in coverage, and average at stopping the run. I'm hoping it clicks for him and he becomes an above average starter. I think putting him next to a ballhawking FS could really help him. He seems like a good supporting player as opposed to a star. There's nothing wrong with that until you have multiple supporting players and no stars. Then the weaknesses show up. We need to do everything we can, barring a Ben retirement, to get a coverage type of safety in the draft to pair with Davis and ditch Mitchell. I think this might be a good safety draft too. So that's helpful.

Archived