Gaining some LBs

Danger

We're pretty good, except we need to bulk up and add a couple LBs. This thread ain't about the shoulda woulda and couldas, but what do we do moving forward to address the overall weak link of the team? To what degree does it need to be addressed? And how should we best approach improving it? 

Right now we're rolling with:

OLB: Nathan Gerry, Duke Riley, Davion Jalen Taylor, Alex Singleton, Jatavis Brown
MLB: TJ Edwards, Shaun Bradley, and some dude named Dante Olson

None of these guys have any significant experience outside of Nathan Gerry and well, we all kinda feel luke warm about him on his good days. So. Draft (2021), Trade, and Sign. What are our best realistic options for each method of each and which makes the most sense for us?

I am really intrigued by Taylor, but don’t expect much from him year 1.

Gerry will start as the KGH of this year. 

PFF sweats TJ Edwards’ nuts. Something tells me the Eagles are more than prepared to roll with him as MLB 

there are lots of options on the open market still including Bradham. I would expect someone to be added that could be supplanted by Taylor if he develops.

Honestly not surprised at all if the 2021 LB’s are Gerry, Edwards, Taylor

• Like 1

Edwards will play in all running down situations. 

Gerry will probably be the linebacker on the field at all times but maybe mcleod will have the helmet speaker.

Taylor needs to learn still but I wouldn't mind having shadow mobile qbs this season.

1 minute ago, ninjapirate said:

Edwards will play in all running down situations. 

Gerry will probably be the linebacker on the field at all times but maybe mcleod will have the helmet speaker.

Taylor needs to learn still but I wouldn't mind having shadow mobile qbs this season.

Good point with Taylor. He's perfect for when we play Wilson, Murray, or Lamar Jackson.

We usually play 1-2 LBs on the field and they will likely be Gerry and Edwards. Brown and Riley are the next two up and the rookies won't be starting judging by last season's rookies. 

Edwards is our heaviest LB, he had a strong PFF rating as a rookie. His strong suits seem to be tackling and run defence, but I'm worried about his pass coverage as he seems slower than Gerry.

Although, I don't think we are done adding to the LB position, I think Howie is looking to see which linebackers are willing to take a 1 year deal, most are probably demanding multi-year deals and we can't afford that. We can surely add a player for 1 year as it won't affect our cap next season. Bradham was a real good fit he had nice speed for his size. I would like him back. 

Considering we drafted 2 linebackers this season and Edwards is a sophomore, we'll probably wait to see how they end up before using another pick on a LB next year. I think next year's 1st has to be a lineman.

Edited by Wentz2Ertz

I'm really high on Edwards. I think he can become something sustainably good. His coverage was actually highly rated in college and the coverage snaps he played last year. I think he's a heady player who relies more on knowing where to be rather than his athleticism. I'm actually really fine with him and Gerry as our 2 LBs. See how Gerry does this year and then maybe extend him if he plays well again (I thought he played well last year). I know it's not the trendy thing to say, but I'm kind of excited to see how our LBs play and develop this year.

3 hours ago, eagles18 said:

re: TJ Edwards

Jerry Rice wasn't the most athletic either

Name the best non-athletic MLB currently in the NFL that ran 4.75 or slower, since TJ ran 4.7 at his pro day (aka a 4.8 if he ran at the combine). Jerry Rice was going against equivalent athletes whenever he wasn't lined up across from Deion Sanders. TJ will consistently be less athletic than the RBs and TEs he's trying to chase down and keep up with in coverage. 

Edited by Jeezla

7 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Name the best non-athletic MLB currently in the NFL that ran 4.75 or slower, since TJ ran 4.7 at his pro day (aka a 4.8 if he ran at the combine). Jerry Rice was going against equivalent athletes whenever he wasn't lined up across from Deion Sanders. TJ will consistently be less athletic than the RBs and TEs he's trying to chase down and keep up with in coverage. 

Yeah the guy is a run defender only and there's nothing wrong with having role players. 

On 5/16/2020 at 11:52 PM, Jeezla said:

Zach Thomas ran a 4.85 40 yard dash and he had an excellent career. Yes, speed is important but instinct and timing is more important. 

Edited by eagles18
  • Like 1