Offensive Roster Projection

WindyCity

Offensive Roster Projection [26]

QB [2]: Trubisky/Foles

The Bears will keep 2 QBs, they do not have a 3rd QB worth keeping, and we know who they are we just do not know who holds the clipboard.

I would start Trubisky if he has a decent camp. You have 3 easier opponents to start the year and I think you have to see if Trubisky can bounce back off of rock bottom. You know Foles has been better coming in off the bench in his career. We just need a final confirmation that Trubisky isn't the guy when things on offense are not in shambles around him.

RB [5]: Montgomery, Cohen, Pierce, Holtz, Nall

This group really comes down to who is going to be the #3 RB as the Bears are really thin behind Montgomery. I think the Bears probably have more faith in Nall to handle some of the duties as he has been in the system for 2 years and we know Nagy doesn't love playing rookies. Pierce has some intriguing physical tools. I think one of Nall or Pierce will be the guy who comes up off the PR on game days.

One of the defining factors in the #3 battle may be pass protection. Can Pierce pass protect at a high enough level to actually get serious reps or replace Montgomery if he is injured.

WR [6]: Robinson, Miller, Ginn, Ridley, Mooney, Patterson

I think they keep 6 WRs and who they cut is going to be very interesting. I do not like the idea of cutting Wims, but I am not sure how he fits into the roster. Maybe he can be a camp trade for a day 3 pick to a team that has been hit hard by injuries.

Robinson is a lock, Miller is a lock, Ginn got his money guaranteed and is the veteran speed they need, Ridley was a high enough pick that he should get a chance to play, Mooney is on the team and they do not seem like they are going to cut Patterson even though his role on offense did not really click.

TE [4]: Graham, Kmet, Harris, Horsted

This group is another one that is fairly easy to project. Graham is your starting U, Kmet is likely to be the starting U. Harris is the best 3rd TE and backup Y the Bears have had in a long time and Horsted showed enough that he should be brought back as the backup U. Graham is not a long term answer at the U so the Bears should keep a developmental long term at U and another on the practice roster.

OL [9]

LT: Leno, Spriggs
LG: Daniels, Bars
C: Whitehair
RG: Ifedi, Coward
RT: Massie, Simmons

The OL seems like it is going to be a pretty chalk group. I think Ifedi will win the RG job and Spriggs was signed to be the swing OT. Bars and Coward should both be in the competition at RG. I do think that Coward's roster spot could be in jeopardy if he does not show a serious step in camp from what we saw last season. Under the new roster rules the Bears can keep another OLmen active on game day and I think Simmons could beat out Hambright to be the PR up and down guy on the OL.

Edited by WindyCity

Just now, dll2000 said:

If Spriggs is our primary OT depth ... that is just bad planning.

My guess is Ifedi kicks out there and they replace the RG if Massie or Leno goes down.  

Also bad planning, but is what it is.  

Just now, dll2000 said:

If Spriggs is our primary OT depth ... that is just bad planning.

My guess is Ifedi kicks out there and they replace the RG if Massie or Leno goes down.  

The OL is covered in question marks.

Spriggs will be the swing OT. He has experience at both and by swing OT standards I am not sure he is that bad, which says more about OT depth in the league than him.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

RB [5]: Montgomery, Cohen, Pierce, Holtz, Nall

This group really comes down to who is going to be the #3 RB as the Bears are really thin behind Montgomery. I think the Bears probably have more faith in Nall to handle some of the duties as he has been in the system for 2 years and we know Nagy doesn't love playing rookies. Pierce has some intriguing physical tools. I think one of Nall or Pierce will be the guy who comes up off the PR on game days.

One of the defining factors in the #3 battle may be pass protection. Can Pierce pass protect at a high enough level to actually get serious reps or replace Montgomery if he is injured.

I am very uneasy going into the season with the backfield as currently constructed. We have done nothing to get better running the ball outside of repeating the Juan Castillo mantra.

If Baltimore cuts Gus Edwards I'm all over that. I would also love to see Mike Weber brought in as competition for the 4th RB / PS role. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ba_ba_ba_BOOM said:

I am very uneasy going into the season with the backfield as currently constructed. We have done nothing to get better running the ball outside of repeating the Juan Castillo mantra.

If Baltimore cuts Gus Edwards I'm all over that. I would also love to see Mike Weber brought in as competition for the 4th RB / PS role. 

Back up primary back is certainly a concern.  But running game will live and die with O line and TE blocking not the RBs.

If run game is good in 2020 after two years of garbage with basically same guys than Castillo is MVP.

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The one option I am still torn on is listing Patterson as a RB, keeping Wims and kicking Nall/Pierce to the PR.

If this is the option, it seems like a no brainer. Not to sound harsh but honestly who gives a **** about either Nall or Pierce? If Pierce shows you something, you act accordingly but I think everyone knows what Nall is at this stage

6 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

The Bears never once carried or listed Patterson as a RB. Even after Davis was released they added Nall instead of another WR.

They also never listed Cohen as a WR though he had more snaps at WR than HB for a large chunk of the year.  Nagy isn't a traditional guy imo. He'll put players out there regardless of what they see on a depth chart. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Back up primary back is certainly a concern.  But running game will live and die with O line and TE blocking not the RBs.

If Montgomery gets hurt, they simply can't have Cohen be the starter. If they do, they deserve everything that will come their way at the end of the season (or even before that). 

22 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

If Montgomery gets hurt, they simply can't have Cohen be the starter. If they do, they deserve everything that will come their way at the end of the season (or even before that). 

They wouldn’t make Cohen a primary back.