Warrants issued for DeAndre Baker and Quinton Dunbar

CBears019

Baker’s lawyer insisted early Saturday on Instagram that there is substantial evidence that will exonerate his client.

“We will be presenting the trove of evidence we have obtained over the past 3 days to the judge at the right time,” Bradford Cohen wrote. “ Seven affidavits exonerating my client and video evidence.”

On 5/15/2020 at 3:18 PM, SwAg said:

I don't think they could have chosen a worse location to commit these crimes.  Maybe Texas, but Florida is historically relentless on these types of charges.  All of the evidence for each charge is essentially the same, so I imagine it will be a scenario where either they're found innocent or they're going to prison for 30+ years, assuming charges are not altered.

Interested to see what the NFL does with this one.  I realize they took a hands-off approach with Tyreek Hill last year, and previously have indicated a willingness to allow the judicial process to play out... but if the facts check out, this was dangerously close to an Aaron Hernandez-like saga, and that is a relatively fresh nightmare for the NFL that they are determined to not repeat.

...except, when they didn't... (Elliott, Roethlisberger, and others).  There's a pretty incriminating audio recording in the Hill case, yet the NFL claims 'not enough evidence'. Yet, (and this has NOTHING to do with the Ravens and me being a Steeler fan...just making a point) Rice only received 2 games, initially, even knowing there was video evidence, but since his wife pleaded to Goodell to not take her shopping money away...er...I mean, not punish Rice because it only happened once, and wasn't that bad, lol...good thing there's no history of battered women staying with, even apologizing for, their attacker...oh wait...

Anyway, I know this seemingly goes beyond the scope needed to make my point, but it's not, because I'm demonstrating a ridiculously disturbing 'non-pattern' of Goodell suspensions...being, one can be arrested for 18 months for essentially allowing dogs to die horrible deaths, and only receive 2 games, yet be accused of something regarding hurting women, well, except for for the above mentioned cases (Hill, Rice)...having incriminating evidence is not enough...it took actually video evidence to be seen by the public before the REAL hammer came down. But 'alleged' offenses, after conducting internal-to-the NFL investigations, with little-to-no evidence, getting 6 games for 'tarnishing the shield', well...

...all that to basically state, we have zero idea what Goodell will or will not do in these cases, because we as the public, are not provided any insight to what an NFL internal investigation will find.  Nope, we as 'joe-public' just have to be satisfied with accepting the phrase "after the NFL conducted its own internal investigation, and have decided..."

So again, this was not a team-biased-oriented post, I just wanted to point out the abhorred nonsensical record that Goodell has, to date, with his findings. And as such, we likely have no idea what Giants' and Seahawk fans have in store in regards to Baker's / Dunbar's suspensions...or lack there of, and will have to decide whether the Seahawks will need to sign more depth, or if the Giants need to look for another starter...

...again, it doesn't matter what the US Legal system has to say, it's all based upon the internal NFL investigation, and what they perceive the court of public opinion fallout to be, against the NFL...and THAT, my friends, is the TRUE meaning of justice, lol. Where the teams, teammates, and fans have to pay for the 'dumb' actions of 20-something millionaires...

:S or :/ or :o or ¬¬...you decide which of these emoticons are appropriate...

20 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

...except, when they didn't... (Elliott, Roethlisberger, and others).  There's a pretty incriminating audio recording in the Hill case, yet the NFL claims 'not enough evidence'. Yet, (and this has NOTHING to do with the Ravens and me being a Steeler fan...just making a point) Rice only received 2 games, initially, even knowing there was video evidence, but since his wife pleaded to Goodell to not take her shopping money away...er...I mean, not punish Rice because it only happened once, and wasn't that bad, lol...good thing there's no history of battered women staying with, even apologizing for, their attacker...oh wait...

Anyway, I know this seemingly goes beyond the scope needed to make my point, but it's not, because I'm demonstrating a ridiculously disturbing 'non-pattern' of Goodell suspensions...being, one can be arrested for 18 months for essentially allowing dogs to die horrible deaths, and only receive 2 games, yet be accused of something regarding hurting women, well, except for for the above mentioned cases (Hill, Rice)...having incriminating evidence is not enough...it took actually video evidence to be seen by the public before the REAL hammer came down. But 'alleged' offenses, after conducting internal-to-the NFL investigations, with little-to-no evidence, getting 6 games for 'tarnishing the shield', well...

...all that to basically state, we have zero idea what Goodell will or will not do in these cases, because we as the public, are not provided any insight to what an NFL internal investigation will find.  Nope, we as 'joe-public' just have to be satisfied with accepting the phrase "after the NFL conducted its own internal investigation, and have decided..."

So again, this was not a team-biased-oriented post, I just wanted to point out the abhorred nonsensical record that Goodell has, to date, with his findings. And as such, we likely have no idea what Giants' and Seahawk fans have in store in regards to Baker's / Dunbar's suspensions...or lack there of, and will have to decide whether the Seahawks will need to sign more depth, or if the Giants need to look for another starter...

...again, it doesn't matter what the US Legal system has to say, it's all based upon the internal NFL investigation, and what they perceive the court of public opinion fallout to be, against the NFL...and THAT, my friends, is the TRUE meaning of justice, lol. Where the teams, teammates, and fans have to pay for the 'dumb' actions of 20-something millionaires...

:S or :/ or :o or ¬¬...you decide which of these emoticons are appropriate...

The NFL went through general trends, with a few recognizable deviations for their time (Roethlisberger, Greg Hardy, etc. come to mind).  First, it buried evidence to avoid PR nightmares.  Then the NFL began to take swift action for better or worse, after the Ray Rice debacle.  The most recent trend was to wait and see, as they did with Tyreek Hill.

Times change.  It’s all moot since the NFL bargained most player discipline matters away to a neutral arbitrator in the new CBA.  Now, absent extreme circumstances, it’s a near certainty that the legal process will be permitted to play out.  The only thing the NFL can do is initiate the process for an arbitrator to decide.  Imperfect, but not the arbitrary construct you’re picturing.

Edited by SwAg
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, SwAg said:

The NFL went through general trends, with a few recognizable deviations for their time (Roethlisberger, Greg Hardy, etc. come to mind).  First, it buried evidence to avoid PR nightmares.  Then the NFL began to take swift action for better or worse, after the Ray Rice debacle.  The most recent trend was to wait and see, as they did with Tyreek Hill.

Times change.  It’s all moot since the NFL bargained most player discipline matters away to a neutral arbitrator in the new CBA.  Now, absent extreme circumstances, it’s a near certainty that the legal process will be permitted to play out.  The only thing the NFL can do is initiate the process for an arbitrator to decide.  Imperfect, but not the arbitrary construct you’re picturing.

I had heard rumblings of this, but I'll be honest, I had no idea when, or how, it was to be implemented. That's good to hear, because it was mind-numbing trying to figure out how a team was going to be effected. And it was mind-numbing for us, I can only imagine how teams must have felt...

On 5/15/2020 at 1:33 PM, Yin-Yang said:

As a current LEO...

- It’s not uncommon for people to wait odd lengths of time to call. 45 minutes is a longer time than you’d expect, but not red-flag worthy. Especially if they were doing anything...”fugazi” and needed to clean it up. Baker and Dunbar were ID’d and not on scene - there’s less urgency than your typical robbery on the sidewalk. 

- Poster thought it was odd that the parties could possibly have been playing for a couple hours (which isn’t a definite, the party started at 2000 & incident occurred around 2300, doesn’t mean they were there for the whole time), but that’s not really red-flag worthy either.

- Poster was skeptical about the victim throwing a party without knowing all the guests, especially one with a mask. Well first off, the former is not weird at all. Like even a little. The latter certainly isn’t odd in today’s environment, with many people wearing masks. Second, is the poster going to pretend like this guest - wait for it - couldn’t have put the mask on during the party? Crazy stuff, but I think it’s possible. 

- Anyone in this profession knows - or SHOULD know - how inconsistent witness testimonies are (which I realize is a major problem given how many steps get taken based off strictly accounts by the CV/witnesses). If they took 45 minutes to draw up a plan, they’d have a similar story. In the affidavit, it pretty clearly tells a story of three perps with some ambiguity on how many were armed. It’s not surprising when people are in high adrenaline situations to misremember details as if they were 100% facts. 

Getting a little off the beaten trail here and I don’t want the thread locked, so to wrap it up I’ll say even if they skate by on reasonable doubt or plea it down, I think it’s pretty safe to say these two won’t be playing for awhile. Baker might have a shot coming back if he beats the charges because he’s young, Dunbar I think will be a bit older trying to make a comeback and will end up like a recent Sam Shields or something.

We’ll see how it plays out, anything can happen and we don’t know the facts. But that article doesn’t really present anything exceptional from my perspective.

I agree. 

Seems pretty normal, IMO. 

On 5/17/2020 at 9:32 AM, Ward4HOF said:

To your point, Jarran Reed was suspended 6 games last year for having the police show up at his house for suspected domestic violence. The officers on site said that there was no evidence of abuse and didn't even bother removing Reed from the premises, yet Goodell suspends him for more than a third of the season. 

It was a system based entirely on preferential treatment for the stars who elevated the product of the game, whereas middling guys like Reed were left to dry as examples of the NFL's heavy fist against DV. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaveOurSonics said:

To your point, Jarran Reed was suspended 6 games last year for having the police show up at his house for suspected domestic violence. The officers on site said that there was no evidence of abuse and didn't even bother removing Reed from the premises, yet Goodell suspends him for more than a third of the season. 

It was a system based entirely on preferential treatment for the stars who elevated the product of the game, whereas middling guys like Reed were left to dry as examples of the NFL's heavy fist against DV. 

Yes...it's this type of thing that makes no sense to me.  Even if he had a history of behavior (which I have no idea, tbh), the facts were, that the cops came due to a call, and nothing happened, so where did 6 games come from with all this, as opposed to much more public displays of 'tarnishing the shield'.

Hopefully, whatever new system has been agreed upon under the CBA will eventually start making more sense, but it's not likely to happen over night...

8 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I'm not sure Reed fully appreciated the wrongness of his actions. They should suspend him for another 6 games (these games should be randomly selected to include each of the games against LAR and none of the games against SF) and make Russell Wilson sit out too, just to show him. xD

• Like 2