Do you think Seattle tried to trade Russell Wilson?

Archimedes

They definitely should have.  Russell Wilson just had the best season/cap hit for a QB in a long damn time. 

He helped them win 7 games where the defense gave up 23 points or more, which is most for any QB all year. 

Third in touchdown passes with only 5 interceptions.
Sixth in yards per attempt.

His season was one of the most underrated performances for a QB in a long damn time, and yet they couldn't even get past the Packers average defense and average offense. 

2012 - 2015 - 2.3 million total.  4 playoff appearances.  7 playoff wins.
2016-3 playoff appearances.  2 playoff wins.

This is like trying to tell people the world is not flat 400 years ago.  Everybody knows it's not flat, but there are still people who are like, "Well..."

Once you pay your QB you give up any shot of competing for a Super Bowl. 

People want to believe it's different with their situation, different with their QB. 

It's not. 

Some might luck out and get a ring when their mega QB deal's cap hit is in a low year, and that has happened (Manning, Brees, Manning), but it has never been and will never be in years where that mega deal has a high cap percentage hit. 

It's happened to the Steelers, Packers, Seahawks.  Saints, Colts...  Vikings were a better team without Cousins even though Cousins is the best QB they've had since Favre. 

It will happen to the Chiefs.  It will happen to the Cowboys.  It will happen to every team that gives their QB the going rate for being a top 16 QB.  Only team it hasn't happened to has been the Patriots.  The one team that happened to have a QB married to a billionaire wife who frequently took less than he was worth.

They will get stuck in that purgatory of being a good team thanks to having that good QB, but they'll never be able to get over the hump and compete with teams paying that rookie QB deal or luck out with a QB getting hot at the right time. 

Average - 6.8% of the cap.
2019 - 2.4%
2018 - Patriots 12.2%
2017 - Eagles .91%
2016 - 8.62
2015 - 11.66
2014 - 10.64
2013 - .56
2012 - 6.6
2011 - 11.7
2010 - (Uncapped year)
2009 - 8.3
2008 - 6.8
2007 - 9.2
2006 - 10.4
2005 - 4.9
2004 - 6.3
2003 - 4.4
2002 - 9.6
2001 - .47
2000 - 1.6
1999 - 1.3
1998 - 5.0
1997 - 5.2
1996 - 10.2
1995 - 6.7
1994 - 13.1

1994 was the very first capped season.  The very first.  It also happens to be the single solitary time a QB got paid higher than 12.3% of the cap.  Seems to be evidence it CAN happen, right?  Not without cheating.  The 49ers literally got punished for salary cap violations.  They probably thought it was a big joke and they didn't have to abide by it.

So if Wilson was demanding X amount, I wouldn't be surprised if discussions were had. 

If I had a QB to re-sign, I would put as much of that cap hit into one year as I could.  Sacrifice one year to be competitive each of the remaining years. 

I read the Seahawks said “what would it take” and the Browns said “Wilson” jokingly so I don’t think it was ever truly considered but it would be interesting if it were true. Wilson is a more careful and deliberate qb which would’ve been useful in Cleveland in their constantly rebuilding system.  Meanwhile, Mayfield is a wild card with talent but no direction. I don’t think Mayfield works with a rickety team like Cleveland but in Seattle where everything’s been established for years and better coached and run, he would’ve had more success. 

31 minutes ago, Tyty said:

I read the Seahawks said “what would it take” and the Browns said “Wilson” jokingly so I don’t think it was ever truly considered but it would be interesting if it were true. Wilson is a more careful and deliberate qb which would’ve been useful in Cleveland in their constantly rebuilding system.  Meanwhile, Mayfield is a wild card with talent but no direction. I don’t think Mayfield works with a rickety team like Cleveland but in Seattle where everything’s been established for years and better coached and run, he would’ve had more success. 

I'd guess it wasn't for Baker but rather Darnold. 

1 minute ago, Tyty said:

Pete Carroll of all people should know how much USC QBs suck 

Hey, Cody Kessler Matt Barkley Mark Sanchez John David Booty Matt Leinart Matt Cassell Carson Palmer had a pretty damn good NFL career

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'd guess it wasn't for Baker but rather Darnold. 

I'd actually say Allen. Of all of those QBs, he probably had the most upside of the group - arm talent that was head and shoulders better than anyone in that draft, and athleticism that was 2nd only to Lamar Jackson - I could see Carroll looking at him and thinking "I could probably turn this young dude into another Ben Roethlensberger..."

• Like 1

Just now, ET80 said:

I'd actually say Allen. Of all of those QBs, he probably had the most upside of the group - arm talent for days that was head and shoulders better than anyone in that draft, and athleticism that was 2nd only to Lamar Jackson - I could see Carroll looking at him and thinking "I could probably turn this young dude into another Ben Roethlensberger..."

I thought about him too. Let me put it this way, I don't think it was for Baker.

• Like 1

Just now, MikeT14 said:

I thought about him too. Let me put it this way, I don't think it was for Baker.

I really think only one team saw Baker as #1 worthy, and it was Cleveland.

Not knocking Baker, mind you. His personality fits well, he's a scrapper that will lift that locker room up (now that he got that "Hollywood" phase out of his system).