Which Type of NBA do you prefer?

Tetsujin

Which type of NBA do you prefer?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of NBA do you prefer?

• Today's (more scoring, more 3 point shooting, wing-focused)
    • 90's (more defensive-oriented, post oriented, the great center play)

Current NBA players are not only better at defense, but defense is more difficult in the modern NBA

The game has changed. People frame it like "they played defense" back in the day. Nah - the game has changed. It was physical. There is the idea that they played hard every night. That's the difference, IMO.

So, yeah, I definitely prefer the modern NBA 

Edited by champ11
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Can I pick neither? Give me like 2009-2013 basketball before the 3 pt boom but not with stupid illegal defenses and watered down talent.

I tried to make the choice more polarizing.

I'm a big Miami Heat fan, so 06'-13' was a nice run for me. But I think the mid to late 90's was Peak NBA for me.

27 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

I tried to make the choice more polarizing.

I'm a big Miami Heat fan, so 06'-13' was a nice run for me. But I think the mid to late 90's was Peak NBA for me.

The 90's were so weak outside of Jordan though. I enjoy they could be more physical (Knicks) and C's were more involved. However, illegal defense, watered down talent, and the slow pace of the late 90's all hurt the product a lot.

11 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

The 90's were so weak outside of Jordan though.

It was strong. It was the centers and Jordan who carried the league then, not the perimeter players. 

12 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

However, illegal defense, watered down talent, and the slow pace of the late 90's all hurt the product a lot.

The NBA nowadays is all about perimeter shooting and wide open lanes to the basket. It's just completely changed. It's certainly softer.

I was at the Hawks/Bucks game in 2019 were they set the record for combined 3 pt attempts in a game with 116. It was awful (but an exciting OT finish saved it)

14 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

It was strong. It was the centers and Jordan who carried the league then, not the perimeter players. 

The NBA nowadays is all about perimeter shooting and wide open lanes to the basket. It's just completely changed. It's certainly softer.

I was at the Hawks/Bucks game in 2019 were they set the record for combined 3 pt attempts in a game with 116. It was awful (but an exciting OT finish saved it)

It was not strong. The 90's were objectively a weaker era than the 80's, 00's and 10's. I don't like modern 3 point chucking basketball either.

15 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

What metric are you using?

League expansion, prior to influx of foreign talent, declining high school basketball participation. There is no argument to be made that the league quality was stronger in the 90's then other recent eras. It was common for people in 96 to complain about how weak the league was.

Edited by Bullet Club

I love post play so going back I like watching the 80s, 90s, even early 00s... basically up until Shaq fell off, since around then is where we lost a dominant post scorer, Duncan slowed down, and then Thibs came and was pretty much the 1st guy to actually take advantage of the NBA's elimination of illegal defense, which killed post play.

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss

23 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

It was common for people in 96 to complain about how weak the league was.

I can see why people felt that way. Bird and Magic had left.

I can agree that the 80's could've been stronger than the 90's. It's a toss up for me.

Tough call. For me, I never liked the small ball rosters but I noticed the better teams are shifting away from it but keeping the flexibility to match up with smaller teams. So I have to go with today's era. Most of the teams in the top 10 have 7ft centers and don't have traditional SF starting at PF. I liked the era where the KG & Duncan type of players were PFs in the starting line ups and I think we'll eventually get back to it. The big difference is that the big men will be developed to play outside of the paint.

On 5/15/2020 at 12:02 PM, Tetsujin said:

90s basketball was not strong. Come on

• Like 1