Is Depth More important Now Then Ever Before?

cortes02

The reason why I'm asking if depth is more important now then ever before is due to what I've been hearing recently on sports radio.  I've heard discussions in regards to when football starts to be played again, there will be obvious covid-19 testing.  They say that if a player were to test positive,  they would not be able to play that week or even perhaps 2 games depending on how long they would be required to quarantine.   

For the Browns, it's nice to know that they have good backups at key offensive positions like QB, RB, and TE but what about other positions? What if it's multiple players at the same position?  I understand that depth is always an issue every year due to potential injury but I think this is a little different due to the circumstances.  A player can be asymptomatic and feel perfectly fine to play but is flagged for a positive test and has to be held out and god forbid it's during the playoffs or Super Bowl.

I just wanted to hear your guys thoughts on this possibility.

Peace!!!

• Like 1

I don’t even know how rules like that would work.  What if half the team tests positive but is asymptomatic? Are there roster limit increases?

Obviously if people are potentially missing time depth is important.

If someone’s sick, obviously they don’t play, but I can’t imagine how frustrating it would be for all parties involved if someone had to sit while feeling perfectly fine.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

There won't be football for the entire season this year. It's going to get shut back down again, methinks.

The AFL will be back on June 11, and until then, for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, you can get in on the action, and watch some classic footy, as well as games going back to the 2017 season.  

21 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

The AFL will be back on June 11, and until then, for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, you can get in on the action, and watch some classic footy, as well as games going back to the 2017 season.  

I’d rather have a half a cup of coffee.

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

The nfl team is not continuing a season if half their freaking roster is out sick.

Short of a nursing home there’s no population of people who are half “sick” from covid.

Carriers maybe, but such is life moving forward.  We’ve co-opted the goal from flattening the curve to stopping the disease which isn’t really attainable.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Short of a nursing home there’s no population of people who are half “sick” from covid.

Carriers maybe, but such is life moving forward.  We’ve co-opted the goal from flattening the curve to stopping the disease which isn’t really attainable.

Let’s be honest, nfl owners don’t care about 95% of their roster.

They only care about superstars and whoever plays QB. Those guys can’t be replaced and can totally *&$# your franchise if they get sick.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Let’s be honest, nfl owners don’t care about 95% of their roster.

They only care about superstars and whoever plays QB. Those guys can’t be replaced and can totally *&$# your franchise if they get sick.

They do, but not enough IMO to pass on 10’s of millions of dollars.

10 hours ago, cortes02 said:

I understand that depth is always an issue every year due to potential injury but I think this is a little different due to the circumstances.

Depending on the path the virus takes, it could have an impact on which players can take the field for any given game.

However, and particularly with the Browns, I think injury is the far greater issue, especially when you pretty much can plan on Vernon and at least one of our starting CBs going down for extended time.