LA Stadium seeking more money

soflbillsfan

11 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Plus, as I said the stadium is going to host the Super Bowl, world cup games, and Olympic opening ceremonies. Is it the only stadium in the world capable of hosting those? Probably not, but it's certainly on a short enough list that I don't expect a lot of pushback for calling it the best which will inherently always be subjective. 

I guess I can buy this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

Lambeau Field is like a museum so I get that. You want to see a game there to experience history. Not because it's a great stadium. 

What exactly would make it a great stadium? Are you telling me other than having a great view, beer, food and some form of entertainment that you would like to experience something more? I'm sure the prices for all those things are sure worth it. 

23 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Different people go for different things. They're not only trying to appeal to people like us, who are interested enough in the football alone to post on a forum like this. They're also not only building it for football, for that matter.

The appeal for a Football Stadium should be football Fans. If it does olympics, or other sporting events thats fine. But do I need to go in to a stadium to buy a Ford Truck? No. do I need to go in to a football stadium to swim in a pool to watch a game? No. Do I need to go clubbing at a football game? No....this is what is being brought in to stadiums in hopes to bring in fans but the fact is the only way to get fans to pay money to sit in a stadium is have a culture, winning preferably, but bring something that fans want to see. Concerts, Sporting Events all fine that stuff shouldnt cost 6 billion to build. You could not justify these cost no matter what is going to be used as the main purpose is for two football teams in a city where it is hard to sell out to local fans. I remember going to a Miami Marlins game, it was cool for 1 to 2 games but you couldnt pay me to watch that miserable team play even in a new stadium and cost as lowas $15 to get in, and locals are pissed on the money wasted for that stadium. All this money requested for burrowing money in the nfl means more teams have to get involved to make up for that pricing so each team is going to increase ticket cost to make up for this horrific blunder of a stadium. 

9 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

I'm not just equating great to dollars. That's just the easiest to judge. The stadium will host in the next 8 years the Superbowl, world cup games, and the Olympic opening ceremony. That's 3 of the world's biggest events. 

You are saying the experience of going to Lambeau will be better. I'm not arguing that. LAs stadium will likely be much more corporate and thus not for everyone. I'm simply saying the stadium itself is clearly better. Unless you think Lambeau can host those 3 events... 

I don't know any renovation numbers but the most expensive stadium to date is the Metlife stadium @ $1.6 billion.

https://www.stadiumsofprofootball.com/comparisons/

US Bank Stadium (Vikings) was "only"  $1.1 billion and has hosted the Superbowl and NCAA Final Four just fine and it's an amazing stadium. 

But using Metlife as a benchmark, why does this new stadium require $4.4 billion dollars more then the most expensive stadium in the NFL? You aren't explaining *why*. All you are doing is saying *because*. 

This reminds of the 2004 Sochi Olympics where they built a ~30 mile road for $9.4 billion 

38 minutes ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

But using Metlife as a benchmark, why does this new stadium require $4.4 billion dollars more then the most expensive stadium in the NFL? You aren't explaining *why*. All you are doing is saying *because*. 

I've never tried to explain why because I don't care. It's not my money. It seems grossly incompetent to be this far over budget but it's not my problem. I'm as ignorant as anyone on the finance side of this since I have no experience in budgeting and overseeing a stadium's construction. 

I think it's obvious though from looking at the final sketches of what it will look like and looking at Metlife Stadium to conclude that SoFi should cost more. How much more SoFi should cost is a debate I don't have a desire to have. 

On 5/15/2020 at 11:59 AM, RaidersAreOne said:

Not to get into a pissing match but the Raiders stadium will likely do the very same. I think the Rams/Chargers stadium is going to be great but how can you even go over budget by three billion!? That's absolutely inexcusable. Does $4 Billion separate the LA and Vegas stadiums? Highly doubtful.

Speaking of Roomba's, surely they can be purchased at Best Buy, who the Rams seemingly used as inspiration for their uniforms.

Does the Raiders stadium fly? SoFi can fly, didn’t you see the recent videos the government released? Those were test runs. 

Seriously though. Every major project in California goes three times over budget and is lucky to be completed within ten years of the original end date. Ineptitude or corruption and I’m not ruling out the possibility of both. At least this isn’t Taxpayer money getting ripped off this time. Well... I guess until the Olympics pumps some money into Kroenke’s pocket for improvements. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

I don't know any renovation numbers but the most expensive stadium to date is the Metlife stadium @ $1.6 billion.

US Bank Stadium (Vikings) was "only"  $1.1 billion and has hosted the Superbowl and NCAA Final Four just fine and it's an amazing stadium. 

This reminds of the 2004 Sochi Olympics where they built a ~30 mile road for $9.4 billion 

It still amazes me that Metlife was built only a few years ago and cost 1.6 billion and doesn't have a roof. How does a stadium in the northeast not put a roof(should be retractable)on it so that the venue can be used all year in all weather. If they wanted weather conditions for football, fine, leave the roof open,  but they completely lose out on all sorts of hosting options throughout the late fall, winter and early spring months. They also run the risk of having events that were planned for the rest of the year cancelled due to poor weather. Just such a bad idea to be willing to dump 1.6 bil, but then cheap out at the end.

• Like 5

On 5/16/2020 at 7:49 PM, ILoveTheVikings said:

US Bank Stadium looks 10x cooler than the renderings of SoFi i've seen too. So does Allegiant. I don't like the weird sharp oblong shape that sofi is going to be at all...looks like an ice cream cone.

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 3:56 PM, I <3 Faulk said:

My brother worked on this stadium, and the carpenters union is a **** show out here. Let's not forget that the stadium was already delayed a year because " it rained too much". 

My company writes the builders risk insurance for this project. Our underwriters on the account have said it's turned into a complete **** show lol. The FAA issues were the least of the problems...

Said they basically had to go back a re-pour the entire foundation at one point because they tried to work through the delays/weather at the beginning and it caused all kinds of issues later on...

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 9:20 AM, ninjapirate said:

I work for a company that supplies underground construction materials to contractors in california from time to time and I'm pretty sure every engineer in california is inept. 

It's not just California.

All the engineers I work with in Ohio fall under the category of inept as well

I imagine the tariffs related to steel had a huge hand in the budget getting busted.

On 5/15/2020 at 4:22 PM, SaveOurSonics said:

Meanwhile the franchise is nickel and diming guys like Todd Gurley and Clay Matthews out of their bonus checks. 

Nice. 

I'd read into this more than just a few headlines before you start speaking on it. Gurley hasn't even passed his physical yet...

On 5/16/2020 at 11:51 AM, LeotheLion said:

The 60 acre plot he purchased in LA was around $95m (asking price) in 2014. Rams new stadium is 300 acres so say in 2014 dollars it cost $500m. So, yeah the land is a significant part of the price tag but there's clearly more to it than LA land is more expensive. Even if you are arguing the land is $3b which seems extremely unlikely the stadium would still cost more than the Raiders stadium. 

Plus, as I said the stadium is going to host the Super Bowl, world cup games, and Olympic opening ceremonies. Is it the only stadium in the world capable of hosting those? Probably not, but it's certainly on a short enough list that I don't expect a lot of pushback for calling it the best which will inherently always be subjective. 

Why would any of the other NFL stadiums not be capable of hosting those events?

25 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why would any of the other NFL stadiums not be capable of hosting those events?

Hosting those events is a competitive process. Bidding for those with poor facilities will almost certainly get rejected. Generally for Olympics a brand-new stadium is built for opening/closing ceremonies (this is usually a disaster for the countries post-games). Rio's games had a $500 million renovation on the existing building.