LA Stadium seeking more money

soflbillsfan

21 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

Wait a California construction project that is over budget and behind schedule? You don’t say. We are horrible with big projects here. Just check out our high speed train. 

I work for a company that supplies underground construction materials to contractors in california from time to time and I'm pretty sure every engineer in california is inept. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Once you leave the atrium at Lambeau Field, you are immediately transported back to the 60s. It doesn't even have fountain drinks and has longer lines for the bathroom than the DMV. It'll still be a better stadium than this space ship. 

This is like how everyone thinks their families food is great. I remember the first time I went to my GFs house for Thanksgiving and had stove top stuffing and sweet potato casserole that was half marshmallows. 

47 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

This is like how everyone thinks their families food is great. I remember the first time I went to my GFs house for Thanksgiving and had stove top stuffing and sweet potato casserole that was half marshmallows. 

No. I’d go see a game at Lambeau Field before any other stadium in the NFL, and I’m a Vikings fan.

Just now, Duluther said:

No. I’d go see a game at Lambeau Field before any other stadium in the NFL, and I’m a Vikings fan.

Lambeau Field is like a museum so I get that. You want to see a game there to experience history. Not because it's a great stadium. 

5 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Lambeau Field is like a museum so I get that. You want to see a game there to experience history. Not because it's a great stadium. 

You’re equating great to dollar signs. Great hasn’t been defined here. Great could just as well equate to any number of things in this context including “experiencing history” or the best vehicle for enjoying a game of football. With the latter as my preference for what makes a Stadium great, yes, Lambeau will likely be better than LA’s stadium. (And I only say likely because there’s no way to tell for sure yet. It hasn’t been built. It hasn’t even been half paid for).

But on the flipside, I understand this new stadium is meant to host more than just football. So while it won’t feel like a “good” football stadium to me and others with similar criteria, it’s going to be very suitable for big global events. So yeah, cheers to that. But I care about football, not other shenanigans.

Edited by Duluther
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Duluther said:

You’re equating great to dollar signs. Great  hasn’t been defined here. Great could as well equate to any number of things in this context including “expecting history” or the best vehicle for enjoying a game of football. With the latter as my preference for what makes a Stadium great, yes, Lambeau will likely be better than LA’s stadium. (And I only say likely because there’s no way to tell for sure yet. It hasn’t been built. It hasn’t even been half paid for).

I'm not just equating great to dollars. That's just the easiest to judge. The stadium will host in the next 8 years the Superbowl, world cup games, and the Olympic opening ceremony. That's 3 of the world's biggest events. 

You are saying the experience of going to Lambeau will be better. I'm not arguing that. LAs stadium will likely be much more corporate and thus not for everyone. I'm simply saying the stadium itself is clearly better. Unless you think Lambeau can host those 3 events... 

10 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I'm not just equating great to dollars. That's just the easiest to judge. The stadium will host in the next 8 years the Superbowl, world cup games, and the Olympic opening ceremony. That's 3 of the world's biggest events. 

You are saying the experience of going to Lambeau will be better. I'm not arguing that. LAs stadium will likely be much more corporate and thus not for everyone. I'm simply saying the stadium itself is clearly better. Unless you think Lambeau can host those 3 events... 

Again, different criteria. Being host of a number of events isn’t my criteria. I can tell you that it won’t be a lot of people’s criteria, especially on here. And before you go saying that you can only host big events if you have an amazing stadium, that’s not true in the slightest. Just look at a number of stadiums that have hosted the olympics. There are factors that are more important than the quality of the stadium that decide where olympics and any traveling big event are hosted.

Let me ask and get an answer without hiding behind dollar signs or events: what about this stadium itself will make a game more enjoyable than a game at Lambeau Field?

Edited by Duluther

2 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Let me ask and get an answer without hiding behind dollar signs or events: what about this stadium itself will make a game more enjoyable than a game at Lambeau Field?

I'm not going to answer that because I've literally NEVER argued such. Never been to a game at either. 

2 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I'm not going to answer that because I've literally NEVER argued such. Never been to a game at either. 

Ok. But I can guarantee you that is the criteria BK was using, the criteria I’m using, and that many here will be using. So don’t continue to be upset when people don’t agree with Rams’ fans who are already declaring they have the best stadium.

Edited by Duluther

8 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Ok. But I can guarantee you that is the criteria BK was using, the criteria I’m using, and that many here will be using. So don’t continue to be upset when people don’t agree with Rams’ fans who are already declaring they have the best stadium.

Again. You are saying best stadium and asking me to answer why it would be a better experience. If you can't see how those are different then I think we are done here. They are ENTIRELY different questions. 

Look at it this way. If LA built an exact replica of Lambeau as their stadium then who's would be nicer? Or would it be a tie because they'd literally be the exact same? 

Edited by LeotheLion

8 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Again. You are saying best stadium and asking me to answer why it would be a better experience. If you can't see how those are different then I think we are done here. They are ENTIRELY different questions. 

Not at all. What makes a stadium good at being a stadium? Answer: It should be the vehicle for enjoying an event. So therefore, what makes a stadium better than another stadium? Being able to provide a more enjoyable experience at an event. That’s the whole purpose of the question posed that you can’t answer without conceding your side.

Edited by Duluther

9 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Not at all. What makes a stadium good at being a stadium? Answer: It should be the vehicle for enjoying an event. So therefore, what makes a stadium better than another stadium? Being able to provide a more enjoyable experience at an event. That’s the whole purpose of the question posed that you can’t answer without conceding your side.

This is painful. We are at impasse. Not going to argue something that was never the original point. 

Edited by LeotheLion

12 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Given that the land in LA is a significant amount of that price tag, I'd say no - it doesn't.

The 60 acre plot he purchased in LA was around $95m (asking price) in 2014. Rams new stadium is 300 acres so say in 2014 dollars it cost $500m. So, yeah the land is a significant part of the price tag but there's clearly more to it than LA land is more expensive. Even if you are arguing the land is $3b which seems extremely unlikely the stadium would still cost more than the Raiders stadium. 

Plus, as I said the stadium is going to host the Super Bowl, world cup games, and Olympic opening ceremonies. Is it the only stadium in the world capable of hosting those? Probably not, but it's certainly on a short enough list that I don't expect a lot of pushback for calling it the best which will inherently always be subjective.