2020 Offense

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t agree, I think RB is more important than people realize. It’s not as important as it was a decade ago and the previous 5 decades of NFL football but, if you have a RB who can’t be stopped by the D then it’s almost a guaranteed ticket to the playoffs. Perfect example is Henry & the Titans last year. Their passing game was average, their D was average but their running game was the best or 2nd best in the NFL and it almost got them to the Super Bowl. Same w/ the 49ers and their running game helped them almost win the Super Bowl. And we all know what the Ravens did bc of their running game.

I agree and disagree with this. My stance on this is yes, a running game is important, but there is a lot more than RB that goes into a running game. I think our line is good enough to make RBs look better. I think Ben is good enough to make RBs look better. Teams can't stack the box on him, and he has gotten really good at dump offs to RBs. I don't think Conner is *that* much better than a combo of Snell/McFarland/Samuel. 

Also, RBs in today’s game are huge to a passing game. They are an outlet for the QB obviously if nothing is open downfield. Also, a good receiving RB like Le’Veon Bell can make a lot of plays w/ mismatches vs LBs or on screens. RB is still huge IMO in today’s game but it’s just in different ways.

I agree with this too. I just don't think Conner is that. I think he's a better than average back. He runs hard, he's pretty fast, he's a good receiver, but he can't stay healthy. LIS, I don't think he's so much better than a combo of our backs. 

Possibly to hopefully keep Conner more healthy they should have Bennie Snell Or McFarland split carries with him and Conner will split those carries and be the 3rd down/receiving back.

Like 250 carries at most for Conner throughout the season even if he plays all 16 games. 15 carries a game, 20 touches a game including receptions.

Then, Snell or McFarland get 5 to 10 carries a game.

This, I completely agree with. I think Conner is a back that is good, but probably isn't suited for a full load. We've got guys that can do all sorts of different roles. Conner can wear teams down. McFarland can gash a tired defense. Snell can pound a worn out defense. Samuel, well he's there too.

I think a strong running game is vital to our success. Ben's arm assuredly not going to be 100% in shape at the beginning of the year. It seems like Ben's always been a slow starter and that's even when he's healthy. We'll need to run the ball and play defense to win this year. Even if Ben is running on all cylinders, we still do a lot better when we can run as well as throw. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i think the idea conner isn't suited for a full load shouldn't be controversial at this point with his injury history.

great player when he stays on the field and really puts in on every snap, and as you say has pretty underrated hands given what most people think he's useful for; huge agree that sprinkling in guys to spell him will be better for the success of the team, not just to let conner have a break but to add little wrinkles to get that competitive advantage

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2020-05-16 at 9:58 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

I think it would be cool to have Cam. It would be drama but I wouldn't mind to have him. I like Rudolph but I don't trust him to win playoff games, or an extended stretch really. If Cam is healthy and would want to backup Ben, I think he'd be a good fit. Sign him, he backs up Ben and we win the SB, Ben retires, Cam takes over and extends our window for another 2-3 years, we win another SB with Cam. Sounds good to me. 

Agree, Heyward deserves a SB run.  

• Like 1