Owners to vote on resolution that would improve a team's draft position if it hires a minority HC or GM

RaidersAreOne

Promoting football and improving how it is played should be the primary focus of every owner and executive--not who their team staff are descended from. I don't see how favoring any particular group benefits the game.

• Like 6

Here are the snippets of what would be involved.

If a team hires a minority head coach, that team, in the draft preceding the coach's second season, would move up six spots from where it is slotted to pick in the third round. A team would jump 10 spots under the same scenario for hiring a person of color as its primary football executive, a position more commonly known as general manager.

If a team were to fill both positions with diverse candidates in the same year, that club could jump 16 spots -- six for the coach, 10 for the GM -- and potentially move from the top of the third round to the middle of the second round. Another incentive: a team's fourth-round pick would climb five spots in the draft preceding the coach's or GM's third year if he is still with the team. That is considered significant because Steve Wilks and Vance Joseph, two of the four African-American head coaches hired since 2017, were fired after one and two seasons, respectively.

Interesting.

Edited by Tex

So currently 6% of GMs fit in this resolution and 12% of HCs fit this...however, the player representation % is through the roof! And by population % only 12.3% of the United States of America. Other than GMs, I fail to see any issue here. Am I missing something? o.O

• Like 1

Yeahhh... this is a tread verrrrrryyy lightly subject on an online forum.

I get the why they're doing it, but I don't think making an incentive to do so is the best way to go about it. Especially not with moving teams up in the draft for it.

There is definitely an under-representation in minorities in higher ranking positions in the NFL, but I don't think this is the way to go about it. 

• Like 2