Owners to vote on resolution that would improve a team's draft position if it hires a minority HC or GM

RaidersAreOne

1. The NFL is great at half-measures that make everybody feel bad.

2. It's not a thing about "PoC" coaches and executives, what they really mean is "black", since the big incongruity is "how many black men play football" and "how many black men are involved in coaching and front office stuff."

3. It's impossible (in America) to be racist against white people since racism is prejudice+power; it's possible to be prejudiced against white people but let's be real about who has power here.

4. This is probably not going to do much, even if it does pass.

• Like 3

The league definitely needs more color, but this is not the way. Give teams an extra 5 mill if cap space for hiring minorities, but don't touch draft picks

Edited by Jeezla

16 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

200.gif

I don't know if it gets locked.  I think it is a bad idea, as it penalizes teams that may have quality coaches and front offices, and are forced to slide down a spot (or more, depending on the number of new hires).  Compensatory picks are one thing.  Teams lost players, and this lets them try and replenish their bench. 

2 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

The league definitely needs more color, but this is not the way. Give teams an extra 5 mill if cap space for hiring minorities, but don't touch draft picks

That is a good idea, but $5 mil is alot of money.  Maybe, instead of putting them into cap hell a few years later after a signing that doesn't carry forward, a team is allowed to erase a percentage of their dead money that they have wiped away, allowing them to still operate within the same cap.

• Like 1

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The NFL could try anything it wants, but nothing is going to change the disparity in coaching demographics unless the owners stop hiring coaches who immediately hire all their old friends or work buddies tbh.

and kids

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

1. The NFL is great at half-measures that make everybody feel bad.

2. It's not a thing about "PoC" coaches and executives, what they really mean is "black", since the big incongruity is "how many black men play football" and "how many black men are involved in coaching and front office stuff."

3. It's impossible (in America) to be racist against white people since racism is prejudice+power; it's possible to be prejudiced against white people but let's be real about who has power here.

4. This is probably not going to do much, even if it does pass.

Jerry Seinfeld Eye Roll GIF by HULU - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like 10

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The NFL could try anything it wants, but nothing is going to change the disparity in coaching demographics unless the owners stop hiring coaches who immediately hire all their old friends or work buddies tbh.

I think the real proposal that would make progress is to force teams to disclose (either to the NFL or to the public, possibly different things to each) why they chose one candidate from the final pool of candidates instead of another.  If you're thinking about it, and the reason you're going to hire coach A instead of coach B ultimately boils down to "he's white, and that makes me more comfortable" then you might want to reconsider your decision.

Not a fan of the way this is written. I think they should focus on coaching internships and perhaps create a league sponsored program designed for people to get into coaching/front office positions. I'm thinking classroom work, training camp internships with team option to keep them into the season, and other workshop type stuff. I know internships are sort of a thing already, but I rarely hear about them.

Just now, PossibleCabbage said:

I think the real proposal that would make progress is to force teams to disclose (either to the NFL or to the public, possibly different things to each) why they chose one candidate from the final pool of candidates instead of another.  If you're thinking about it, and the reason you're going to hire coach A instead of coach B ultimately boils down to "he's white, and that makes me more comfortable" then you might want to reconsider your decision.

All you'd get is "I worked with him at [insert team or college here] and he was the right guy for us". 

Granted this is just my opinion, but I think at it's core the 'ism' that best defines this problem is nepotism. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Why does it need anything more then just the best? Creating more opportunities is helpful to expose talent regardless of race or gender but creating distinct advantages over other teams ruins the game. I mean just look at basketball, giving away better draft picks or cap space is like the equivalent of creating a Pay to win game for the owners. 

They hire some "faces" that may very well have no say in any sort of process and receive pre-written statements by the FO to give to the news about their involvement. 

• Like 4

Just now, Calvert28 said:

Why does it need anything more then just the best?

The best, most talented group of people is statistically a lot more likely to comprise all backgrounds instead of just a bunch of old friends who all were in the same film room back at State U in the '90s.

• Like 2