Saints sign RB Ty Montgomery

RaidersAreOne

He could possibly have a monster season for the Saints.  Or he could be nothing. 

Really don't know what to make of Montgomery.  He had flashes his entire time in Green Bay and I want to believe my conspiracy theories about Rodgers hating throwing to running backs is true, but then there's the fact that the Packers rarely trade players and they traded him for a 7th round pick.  The year after the incoming draft. 

He has problems with durability and he seemed to have nagging injuries more often than not. 

I really think he could have a monster year for the Saints.  I've said about him that if they were to go to a team like New England or New Orleans, they would have really big years based on his versatility alone. 

Montgomery actually had the highest amount of receptions for a running back in any year of Aaron's career with 44 receptions until this past year with LaFleur, who finally got Aaron to throw to running backs.  Montgomery had 0 catches through 4 games, and then Eddie Lacy and James Starks both got hurt in the same game, so McCarthy put him back there.  He had 10 catches in that game, 10 catches the next game, McCarthy officially called him a running back and suddenly he goes from 25 targets, 20 receptions in 2 games, he has 31 targets for 24 receptions in the final 9 games.

And it's not like he can't run the ball either.  He's never going to be elite, but as a relief back, he's not terrible. 

In his first year as a running back he had:

9/60
7/53
6/40
9/41
16/162/2

Bottom line is if you were the type of person who hunted for the Shaq Barrett/Lorenzo Alexander type player who does nothing for their career only to turn into a superstar in one year, Montgomery is a player to look at.  He'll either continue being nothing, or he's going to be owned by every fantasy player in the nation by week 6. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Tyty said:

He doesn’t have anything left but the Saints will still find a way to get something out of him 

He just turned 27 with pretty low usage.

Injuries slowing him down? 

Edited by Dome

2 hours ago, Dome said:

More like lack of physical ability although I’m sure if Chicago had signed him our fans would be beating their chests and hooting from excitement like they do every time we sign some washed up guy

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tyty said:
2 hours ago, Dome said:

More like lack of physical ability although I’m sure if Chicago had signed him our fans would be beating their chests and hooting from excitement like they do every time we sign some washed up guy

I wouldn't say it's lack of physicality ability but more so because he has sickle cell. That's why he cant get the amount of touches. His body can't handle it. 

Edited by JustAnotherFan

On 15/05/2020 at 4:17 PM, Dome said:

He’ll fit our system really well. 

Yeah.  Kind of a nothing player, but with the Saints...he makes plenty of sense as a depth/insurance piece.  He does the sort of things that Payton will find a way to get something out of.