Saints sign RB Ty Montgomery

RaidersAreOne

22 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

He could possibly have a monster season for the Saints.  Or he could be nothing. 

Really don't know what to make of Montgomery.  He had flashes his entire time in Green Bay and I want to believe my conspiracy theories about Rodgers hating throwing to running backs is true, but then there's the fact that the Packers rarely trade players and they traded him for a 7th round pick.  The year after the incoming draft. 

He has problems with durability and he seemed to have nagging injuries more often than not. 

I really think he could have a monster year for the Saints.  I've said about him that if they were to go to a team like New England or New Orleans, they would have really big years based on his versatility alone. 

And it's not like he can't run the ball either.  He's never going to be elite, but as a relief back, he's not terrible. 

Bottom line is if you were the type of person who hunted for the Shaq Barrett/Lorenzo Alexander type player who does nothing for their career only to turn into a superstar in one year, Montgomery is a player to look at.  He'll either continue being nothing, or he's going to be owned by every fantasy player in the nation by week 6. 

Good overview of his career. I thought he was going to be a player who could've had a steady diet of 8-15 carries (depending on game situation) and 4-8 catches per game, easy, after those first couple weeks. But his production hasn't really matched what he flashed in his debut. 

12 hours ago, Dome said:

He just turned 27 with pretty low usage.

Injuries slowing him down? 

Idk but he was sure hyped up last summer and did absolutely nothing. Blame coaching but its been the same thing for him with other teams. 

Saints have a great offensive scheme so maybe he'll do well. 

36 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Idk but he was sure hyped up last summer and did absolutely nothing. Blame coaching but its been the same thing for him with other teams. 

Saints have a great offensive scheme so maybe he'll do well. 

i think he’s gonna be Travaris Cadet for us... maybe 2 catches a game on average for the season, but usually in chunks of 5-6 catch games when the defense is struggling to stop a receiver out of the backfield.

Monty will always have low usage in part because he has sickle cell trait. That means he has one copy of the sickle cell gene so some of this red blood cells are malformed and they can't carry as much oxygen as a normal cell. He does fine as a role player, but he couldn't be a bell cow and he didn't play at Denver because of it. There's quite a few NFL players with sickle cell trait and they all manage it pretty well. But it does limit their stamina to varying degrees
He's a smart guy, he knows both the RB and the WR positions and he did some PR/KR work in his career.

Monty gained some notoriety for his gaffe on a kickoff in the Packers -Rams game, but he also authored this one which moved GB all the way out to the 40 on a different kickoff.

• Like 2

On 5/16/2020 at 6:29 AM, Outpost31 said:

He could possibly have a monster season for the Saints.  Or he could be nothing.

The bar is pretty low for "monster season" if you really think Montgomery is capable of that. At best he's a tandem back with Latavius Murray in the event that Kamara goes down. 

50 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

The bar is pretty low for "monster season" if you really think Montgomery is capable of that. At best he's a tandem back with Latavius Murray in the event that Kamara goes down. 

Montgomery is a matchup nightmare for anybody willing to throw to someone who can line up in the backfield.

6 hours ago, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

He's JAG, nothing special in this league. I don't get why he keeps getting signed. 

There’s a TON of JAGs in the league. You could even argue that most guys in the league are JAGs. He keeps getting signed because he has a useful skill set, even if his production is JAG level 

Edited by Dome

On 5/18/2020 at 11:54 PM, Dome said:

There’s a TON of JAGs in the league. You could even argue that most guys in the league are JAGs. He keeps getting signed because he has a useful skill set, even if his production is JAG level 

He does have a useful skill set but he is invisible on the field. Ever since his GB days he hasn't been very good, maybe break one every blue moon but other than that he's a wasted roster spot IMO.

35 minutes ago, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

He does have a useful skill set but he is invisible on the field. Ever since his GB days he hasn't been very good, maybe break one every blue moon but other than that he's a wasted roster spot IMO.

Still, I’d expect more from him in the Saints offense than the Jets.

Plus, “invisible on the field” and “JAG production” aren’t that far off IMO

Edited by Dome