How badly has Pittsburgh's reputation been damaged in recent years?

RamblinMan99

Think about all the headlines we have went through in recent years.  

Tomlin gets fined for calling out the refs at a press conference.  He gets fined again for cheating in a game right in front of everybody.  

We get criticized by the league for not paying LeVeon Bell.

Antonio Brown goes on a tirade and speaks out against our organization.  

Mason Rudolph, Markice Pouncey, and the gang get into a violent scuffle with Cleveland on national TV that ends up in multiple suspensions.  

We offered a better contract to Jameis Winston than New Orleans, but he opted to take less many than to play here.  

Big Ben gets called fat by Jay Glazer, and his leadership is continually questioned.  

James Harrison suddenly gets all mafia and says Tomlin gave him an "envelope" right after he leveled the guy on the field.  Rooney immediately denies it.  

I mean, what is going on in Pittsburgh?  

How did we get here, and how do we climb out?  

What happened to the days when everybody loved our team? 

Now, everybody views us as nothing but a drama show.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

I mean, what is going on in Pittsburgh?  

I imagine the people in Pittsburgh are still in quarantine.

What happened to the days when everybody loved our team? 

They never existed in the first place, that's what happened. The Steelers have always been one of the most hated teams in the NFL. 

Now, everybody views us as nothing but a drama show.  

Okay, who are the two people that you have talked to recently that said this? And you talking to yourself in the mirror does not count.

Unless I've missed something I don't think anyone looks at them as a drama show at all. If anything how Tomlin and the FO have handled those situations have had gotten more of a positive reaction than a negative one.

Edited by JustAnotherFan
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Tomlin gets fined for calling out the refs at a press conference.  He gets fined again for cheating in a game right in front of everybody.

Calling out the refs is no big deal. When did Tomlin "cheat"? Genuine question because I don't remember this at all.

We get criticized by the league for not paying LeVeon Bell.

The Steelers had no reason to pay Bell. Paying premium money to a RB is dumb in this day and age especially when James Connor proved he was basically almost as good.

Antonio Brown goes on a tirade and speaks out against our organization.  

AB's escapades only ruined one reputation. Antonio Brown's.

Mason Rudolph, Markice Pouncey, and the gang get into a violent scuffle with Cleveland on national TV that ends up in multiple suspensions.  

I suppose we can just ignore the fact that Myles Garrett was the primary offender in this.

We offered a better contract to Jameis Winston than New Orleans, but he opted to take less many than to play here.  

Source? Also, I suppose learning from Sean Payton and Drew Brees is what Jameis Winston thought was best for him. He's thinking long term, not just one quick paycheck.

Big Ben gets called fat by Jay Glazer, and his leadership is continually questioned.  

lol, literally a non story.

James Harrison suddenly gets all mafia and says Tomlin gave him an "envelope" right after he leveled the guy on the field.  Rooney immediately denies it.  

I can't defend this one.

• Like 2

I think the same thing about Pitt now as I did 10 years ago...which is to say I don't think about them much at all. I don't think less or more of them currently then I did back then. 

So going with 0 difference or damage. 

Though seriously, LOL at the, "days when everyone loved the steelers"

• Like 4

I like Mike Tomlin but it might be time for a new voice at head coach. Your record has gone down from the previous year each of the past two years and going into rebuild mode is on the table. Usually that means a new coach.

6 minutes ago, Kirill said:

I like Mike Tomlin but it might be time for a new voice at head coach. Your record has gone down from the previous year each of the past two years and going into rebuild mode is on the table. Usually that means a new coach.

That's not Pittsburgh's modus operandi. They really don't fire coaches. Tomlin isn't really doing worse now than Cowher did between 1998-2000 and they didn't fire Cowher then. Unless they finish like 6-10 or worse this year and Ben retires I don't see Tomlin going anywhere. In a different organization perhaps it's another story, but Pittsburgh's always been very loyal to their HC.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Kirill said:

That's not normally how the Rooney family works, but I have to wonder who exactly let the rumor fly that the Redskins were interested in Mike Tomlin this past year.  Some thought that it was someone from Tomlin's camp, trying to extricate himself from the Steelers.  I never bought into that, but it does make you wonder.