How badly has Pittsburgh's reputation been damaged in recent years?

RamblinMan99

On 5/15/2020 at 7:36 PM, RamblinMan99 said:

Think about all the headlines we have went [gone] through in recent years.  

Tomlin gets fined for calling out the refs at a press conference.
That wouldn't give me a negative view of the team.  NFL refs are often lousy. 

He gets fined again for cheating in a game right in front of everybody.
That would be "strike one" for Tomlin if I were the Rooney's 

We get criticized by the league for not paying LeVeon Bell.
Running backs are a dime a dozen.  I wouldn't have broken the bank for him.

Antonio Brown goes on a tirade and speaks out against our organization.
The guy is a complete and utter buffoon.  Should have maybe dumped him sooner. 

Mason Rudolph, Markice Pouncey, and the gang get into a violent scuffle with Cleveland on national TV that ends up in multiple suspensions.
Steelers players didn't remove their helmets and use them as a weapon.  Not good, but not a huge deal, IMO. 

We offered a better contract to Jameis Winston than New Orleans, but he opted to take less many than to play here.
I'd rather live in New Orleans any day, but not at the cost of having to play for Sean Payton. 

Big Ben gets called fat by Jay Glazer, and his leadership is continually questioned.
Jay who? 

James Harrison suddenly gets all mafia and says Tomlin gave him an "envelope" right after he leveled the guy on the field.  Rooney immediately denies it.
This is some Sean Payton level stuff.  If true, Tomlin should be bounced out on his ear. 

I mean, what is going on in Pittsburgh?
Pittsburgh has had a lot of success.  It's not always wine and roses.  Just look around the division for examples.

How did we get here, and how do we climb out?
Maybe it's time to get a new coach and clear the roster of all knuckleheads, including Big Ben.  Start fresh.

What happened to the days when everybody loved our team?
I've never been too big on them myself, so I can't speak on that.

Now, everybody views us as nothing but a drama show.
As long as the Rooneys are there, you will have a solid foundation.  I wouldn't worry.  Tough times come and go. 

• Like 1

A lot of us had thoughts about Pittsburgh when the turmoil between the Steelers and Bell began and continued with Antonio Brown. 

Then Bell overplayed his hand, Brown lost the screw that was loose in his head and Tomlin managed to win 9 games mostly without Roethlisberger. 

I think I regained a lot of respect for Tomlin that was foolishly lost because of some high profile players who cared more about money then team. 

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

A lot of us had thoughts about Pittsburgh when the turmoil between the Steelers and Bell began and continued with Antonio Brown. 

Then Bell overplayed his hand, Brown lost the screw that was loose in his head and Tomlin managed to win 9 games mostly without Roethlisberger. 

I think I regained a lot of respect for Tomlin that was foolishly lost because of some high profile players who cared more about money then team. 

Yep. I hate the Steelers and I was begging them to re-sign Bell and keep Brown. They dodged a bullet with both. 

That being said, I think Roethlisberger has a terrible season and is done being a serviceable QB. I have a hunch he falls apart this year, making Brady the only QB in their mid 30’s+ that is legitimately good. 

7 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yep. I hate the Steelers and I was begging them to re-sign Bell and keep Brown. They dodged a bullet with both. 

That being said, I think Roethlisberger has a terrible season and is done being a serviceable QB. I have a hunch he falls apart this year, making Brady the only QB in their mid 30’s+ that is legitimately good. 

LOL

thought they came out looking v. good for jettisoning AB

and for the Browns on-field dustup; while being ugly, I think they came out looking better than they should have because they were the losing team and it was a Browns circus

On 5/19/2020 at 5:25 PM, SpacemanSpiff said:

Seriously. Mike Tomlin should be talked about as a Coach of the Year candidate for how he handled the adversity of last season, not talked about as someone who needs to be fired. That is ridiculous.

Fully agree but , there was steelers fan who wanted Cowher fired after the 99 6-10 year and even some die-hard Tommy Maddox fans who didn't like the Steelers taking Ben Roethlisberger (I loved it actually) I heard a steelers fan a woman in a chat room that "Cowher will never win again if he starts that Ben whatever his name" and she did a 360 when they started winning lol

This doesn't surprise me being a fan since 1991...

I'll be honest I saw my favorite football team not only get to four Superbowls but win with two different coaches

I can't really complain, I honestly want to see them win but I wouldn't care if they kept losing ... there's fans of other teams who never seen their teams get past the first round in the playoffs or hardly win at all , I'm just a humble fan 

Edited by Chuck80
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Chuck80 said:

Fully agree but , there was steelers fan who wanted Cowher fired after the 99 6-10 year and even some die-hard Tommy Maddox fans who didn't like the Steelers taking Ben Roethlisberger (I loved it actually) I heard a steelers fan a woman in a chat room that "Cowher will never win again if he starts that Ben whatever his name" and she did a 360 when they started winning lol

This doesn't surprise me being a fan since 1991...

I'll be honest I saw my favorite football team not only get to four Superbowls but win with two different coaches

I can't really complain, I honestly want to see them win but I wouldn't care if they kept losing ... there's fans of other teams who never seen their teams get past the first round in the playoffs or hardly win at all , I'm just a humble fan 

Chuck-Love Pittsburgh (I live here and after the Bears I like to see them win), but Steelers fans are like Bears fans in that their favorite QB is often the one not starting (at least until the QB is proven). Don't forget what Bradshaw had to go through up here and even back there was always doubt about Bradshaw (not many know he lost the starting QB job entering the 1974 season to Joe Gilliam). Some Pittsburgh fans also treated some of their baseball players pretty poorly. This used to be a ROUGH city, but it has really grown away from that and the ire and angst isn't as bad anymore even though the people here live and die with the black and gold. 

Edited by kwolf68
  • Like 2

What reputation? 

It seems to me there’s been a little turmoil over the last couple of seasons, but EVERY team has drama. I think the recent situations with Bell, Brown, et al are just facts of life in the modern NFL. Some players are going to be unhappy about how they’re used, and some guys just have a screw loose. The Steelers are no different than any other team. 

• Like 2

On 5/24/2020 at 7:54 PM, kwolf68 said:

Steelers fans are like Bears fans in that their favorite QB is often the one not starting (at least until the QB is proven)...

You're not the only one who's noticed. I've said for years that Steelers fans treat their QBs like ****, including the great ones. Terry Bradshaw stayed away from Pittsburgh for almost 20 years after he retired, and not because he was busy all the time either. Neil O'Donnell has never made any public appearances for the Steelers. Kordell Stewart had all kinds of rumors spread about him, to the point that he had to address the locker room about them. Even today, the jaded, block-numbered hardass contingency in the fan base proclaims that Ben Roethlisberger has had little or nothing to do with the team's success this century, and just want to throw him away. Quite frankly, too much of this fan base is too stupid to know who its heroes are. They wouldn't appreciate a great QB if he led a game-winning drive in the Super Bowl for them. There is no fan base in the NFL less deserving of great QBing than ours.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bassomatic said:

You're not the only one who's noticed. I've said for years that Steelers fans treat their QBs like ****, including the great ones. Terry Bradshaw stayed away from Pittsburgh for almost 20 years after he retired, and not because he was busy all the time either. Neil O'Donnell has never made any public appearances for the Steelers. Kordell Stewart had all kinds of rumors spread about him, to the point that he had to address the locker room about them. Even today, the jaded, block-numbered hardass contingency in the fan base proclaims that Ben Roethlisberger has had little or nothing to do with the team's success this century, and just want to throw him away. Quite frankly, too much of this fan base is too stupid to know who its heroes are. They wouldn't appreciate a great QB if he led a game-winning drive in the Super Bowl for them. There is no fan base in the NFL less deserving of great QBing than ours.

Haha, I hear you. I will say that now Steelers fans  are converts to Bradshaw. All it took was 4 World Titles and 40 years. Hey it's baby steps. I do love the Pittsburgh sports fan base, but they got their issues that require some clinical assistance. 

• Like 2

On 5/27/2020 at 2:21 AM, Bassomatic said:

They loved Tommy Maddox and remember the Kent Graham fandom and the defenders of him for throwing 7 picks in 2 games? Imagine if Kordell did anything near that?

• Like 1