Who’s Your Favorite “Question Mark“ Redskin?

e16bball

I’ve been kind of a downer lately, so I wanted to contribute something that should be a little more positive. You know I like a good “plant your flag” topic as much as just about anything.

One of the fun things about a rebuilding roster is that it’s basically a ladder — a land of opportunity where guys have the chance to climb from obscurity to relevance and become long-term pieces moving forward. This year’s Redskins roster, whether by design or by necessity, is definitely wide open and chock full of opportunities for guys to emerge and grab the brass ring. 

With that said, who is your favorite of the many unproven, question mark Redskins heading into the 2020 season? To clarify, I basically just mean anyone who either isn’t a proven commodity at the NFL level (much of the DL, Scherff, Peterson, Collins, McLaurin, etc) or isn’t an obvious blue-chip talent (Young, Sweat, let’s include Haskins for the purpose of this exercise, etc.). I think that leaves about 40-50 guys with a chance to make the roster to choose from 😂 

To get the ball rolling, I think my guy is Steven Sims. I’ll name a couple others as the thread goes on (and others probably pick them), but I really like Sims as my top pick to be impactful moving forward. I’m basically a broken record about liking WRs with return ability, and Sims is a good example of why. He’s got a quick burst, changes direction very fluidly, has breakaway speed, and is dangerous after the catch. His route running was really impressive to me, and I think he’s versatile enough to be appealing to Turner as a multi-use weapon. From following social media, Haskins clearly favors him, and that can’t hurt either. I think he’s got the potential to be a really dynamite player from the slot. Just hope he stays healthy. 

What say you?

• Like 7

Well, last year before the season I said I thought Terry McLaurin would be the best WR on the roster. It was kind of a throw away comment bc at the time we still had Doctson and the beat reporters were saying he was having a good camp. So, I was hoping Doctson would have a good year and I was also hoping Richardson would stay healthy and have a lot of yards. I truly was totally shocked Terry became what he became last year, I wasn’t expecting that.

My “plant your flag guy” is Shaun Dion Hamilton aka SDH. I have been hyping him up for two years, really since he was drafted. I’ve always said that if hadn’t been injured in college he would have been taken as high as round 2. I think he can play, and outside of Thomas Davis - who is still a good vet but old and has lost a step - I think SDH is our best health LB.

Cole Holcomb gets a lot of pub bc of his stats last year as a rookie but when SDH actually got snaps, he played better. SDH is both better than Holcomb vs the run, as he usually does a good job shedding blockers - something Holcomb struggled at at times his rookie season - and SDH IS especially good in coverage and in more of a passing league now, that’s important and something we need in our LBs corps. 

On the flip side, his main competition for WLB, Holcomb, was awful in coverage last year and he blew coverages at times too. If our past defensive staff had been better, they would’ve played SDH more last year, especially on passing downs and if they had our 3rd down D probably would’ve been better.

Either way, that’s my main guy. Like @e16bball I’ll let others comment before naming others, but I do have some others. As most know, I love predicting the potential that young guys could have.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 5

I have to choose between a position player   Gibson or a break-out player in Anderson.

I’m going for Ryan Anderson. He showed promise in the last games last year. I’ve him playing SAM and running behind this front 4 will help him a lot! He will be free from engaging with big OL straight away but can run free behind the 4 big boys. He can kill it now.

• Like 4

Great thread idea.  I would even go so far as to take all of the rookies out of the equation too.  

If rookies can count, I am a big believer in Saahdiq Charles.  Has the tape, has most of the things you look for, and is going into a locker room where I think he can succeed with the culture change.  If he is dedicated to proving the doubters wrong, we will have a potential Day 1 talent drafted in the fourth round.  

Outside of that.......this is tough.  I've always liked the Fabian Moreau pick, and it's time for him to seize the starting job.  He has the size, speed and man coverage skills and physical.  He just needs to put it all together.  Hopefully that happens this year.  

• Like 6

Jimmy Mo. 3 int’s before week 3 with a pick 6. I think all our CB’s have some sort of question. I think this guy really is the guy who takes over one of the outside spots from here on out. Can tackle and he’s a playmaker. The pass rush is going to have this guy jumping passes all over

• Like 5

What a great thread. I've gotten hooked by the long shot T E Hale Hentges. I'm pulling hard for him. He had a good, would have been great game and the end of the season but he had a big drop :( . Seems to be a good hard working kid. Got my hopes he can contribute and make the final roster . 

• Like 4

Put me down for D. Guice. If this dude can stay healthy, We could have a very affective running game.

The talent is there, but he can't stay on the field. I'm betting this is his last shot to do so as well.

We have a stable of running backs now and others will make it tough for coaches to narrow the field down.

But imo, when healthy? He's the best on the team.

Excited to see what Bryce Love brings to the squad as well. 

But a healthy Guice, will change the dianamic of this Offense. It also could level out poor O-line play, if we struggle in that area.

• Like 4

You know who is my favorite. This does not even need to be said for me.

@ripsean21, you are on target!

His worst year in college was freshman year. He improved each year after that (with exponential leaps in Junior/Senior year). Did okay last year and proved he belongs. Hoping for a similar progression here. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

You know who is my favorite. This does not even need to be said for me.

@ripsean21, you are on target!

His worst year in college was freshman year. He improved each year after that (with exponential leaps in Junior/Senior year). Did okay last year and proved he belongs. Hoping for a similar progression here. 

No fair, he’s not a question mark in your eyes. No fun picking absolute certainties. Vetoed. 

😂

• Like 1

Probably Reuben Foster. He showed the potential to be a top 10 MLB in the league in his rookie season. If he gets healthy and gets his head screwed on straight, I'd love to see him get back to that level or even improve on it

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Probably Reuben Foster. He showed the potential to be a top 10 MLB in the league in his rookie season. If he gets healthy and gets his head screwed on straight, I'd love to see him get back to that level or even improve on it

It would be a really awesome break for this team and I’d like to see him evolve as a pro on and off hopefully he’s just thankful he has this chance after everything I hope he makes the most of it. Could be huge for this team if he did but I have no expectations.

• Like 1