Who’s Your Favorite “Question Mark“ Redskin?

e16bball

I understand people’s concerns like E about Fuller starting outside and going against another teams #1 most of the game, but I think he’s going to be on the outside more than the inside this year. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, we gave him a bigger contract than the other 4 vet DBs we signed bc they think he can be our best corner. That means he’ll start and play most of the time on the outside.

I’ve read and heard that they want to try Moreland in the slot in camp/preseason - if we have it or whatever that ends up being - to see how he does there. If he should succeed then Fuller will be on the outside all game. Should Moreland not be the answer in the slot, Fuller will probably play the slot when opponents go 3 or 4 wide and he’ll play on the outside on run downs.

I’m intrigued by the Moreau vs Darby competition. I would not put it past Moreau to win that competition and be the starting CB opposite Fuller, pushing Darby down to #3 or maybe even #4 if Moreland does play well in the slot.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don't think that, he’ll start outside and play in the slot when we go 3 wide if Moreland isn't good enough.

KC already tried that in 2018. He was the #1 CB in the league when lined up out wide and he was the worst slot CB in the league (among those with a similar snap count). It just doesn’t make any sense not to give him a chance out wide full-time. He  even says he’d prefer that. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

KC already tried that in 2018. He was the #1 CB in the league when lined up out wide and he was the worst slot CB in the league (among those with a similar snap count). It just doesn’t make any sense not to give him a chance out wide full-time. He  even says he’d prefer that. 

True, you said that before and here's a thought, maybe it doesn't make sense to move him back and forth between the two... If he ends up being good outside, just leave him there or, HAVE HIM FOLLOW THE #1 WR EVEN INTO THE SLOT. Because, unlike Norman, Fuller can play in the slot too.

People are trying to pigeon hole Fuller off I what he was 3 years ago when he was in DC and PFF’s #1 slot corner, perhaps he's developed and evolved into a more all around DB who is also good ok the outside and at FS...???

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

True, you said that before and here's a thought, maybe it doesn't make sense to move him back and forth between the two... If he ends up being good outside, just leave him there or, HAVE HIM FOLLOW THE #1 WR EVEN INTO THE SLOT. Because, unlike Norman, Fuller can play in the slot too.

People are trying to pigeon hole Fuller off I what he was 3 years ago when he was in DC and PFF’s #1 slot corner, perhaps he's developed and evolved into a more all around DB who is also good ok the outside and at FS...???

I dont have a problem with moreland following the #1 into the slot. Fabian Moreau is a guy that im looking at as a beak out player. if he can build on what he was able to do at the end of last season then we will be alright. he just needs to stay healthy. I think we are in a better spot at corner than we have been in recent years to be honest. I also wouldnt sleep on colvin or moreland. my opinion of darby is meh.... if he satys healthy and plays good then we got a steal if not then his spot is taken.

with our d line depth we should be able to get a lot of preassure and help those guys out.

another guy I think that will beneifit greatly and may be a breakout is anderson. I think this will be the scheme that he finally can prove he was a 2nd round pick

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

I dont have a problem with moreland following the #1 into the slot. Fabian Moreau is a guy that im looking at as a beak out player. if he can build on what he was able to do at the end of last season then we will be alright. he just needs to stay healthy. I think we are in a better spot at corner than we have been in recent years to be honest. I also wouldnt sleep on colvin or moreland. my opinion of darby is meh.... if he satys healthy and plays good then we got a steal if not then his spot is taken.

with our d line depth we should be able to get a lot of preassure and help those guys out.

another guy I think that will beneifit greatly and may be a breakout is anderson. I think this will be the scheme that he finally can prove he was a 2nd round pick

The bolded, I assume you meant Fuller here.

I think Anderson can be our SLB and he’ll play run downs but, I think that Thomas Davis will be our starting SLB this year. I think he will help develop Anderson into more of a SLB instead of just a 3-4 OLB/pass rusher. Hopefully, Anderson shows enough in even a reserve role where the Redskins was to tender him as a RFA or keep him next year as our starting SLB but, he has to prove a lot this year.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The bolded, I assume you meant Fuller here.

I think Anderson can be our SLB and he’ll play run downs but, I think that Thomas Davis will be our starting SLB this year. I think he will help develop Anderson into more of a SLB instead of just a 3-4 OLB/pass rusher. Hopefully, Anderson shows enough in even a reserve role where the Redskins was to tender him or keep him next year as our starting SLB but, he has to prove a lot this year.

yup fuller not moreland my bad

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 7:56 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

This is why grading is pretty unconvincing to me for DBs on any kind of sample that’s less than a couple years. 

Everything you said is true about 2018. But in 2017, PFF said he was the #2 CB in football playing almost exclusively out of the slot. He was as good in 430 snaps in the slot in 2017 (90.2 grade) as he was in 101 snaps outside in 2018 (90.7 grade). Is he the best slot CB in the league, or among the worst? They genuinely have no idea, although I guess they’d skew toward deeming him the worst, given how bad he was last year. 

Just from watching him play, I personally think he’s a slot corner and wouldn’t hold up long-term outside. I’m aware of what they said about him playing outside in 2018, but we’re talking about 100 snaps, or like a game and a half worth of snaps. That doesn’t mean much to me. I don’t think he’s fast enough or big enough (you kinda have to be one or the other) to consistently match up on the outside. In man, at least. If they’re planning to play a lot of zone, that’s a different story.

I have absolutely no problem with trying him outside. They’re paying him so much money, they might as well try it. But I’m not very optimistic. If I had to lay money down, I would say it ends up being Moreau and Darby primarily outside (until they both get hurt, obviously), with Fuller primarily in the slot. Moreland is the X factor outside, but I’m just not really sure about how he holds up either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

This is why grading is pretty unconvincing to me for DBs on any kind of sample that’s less than a couple years. 

Everything you said is true about 2018. But in 2017, PFF said he was the #2 CB in football playing almost exclusively out of the slot. He was as good in 430 snaps in the slot in 2017 (90.2 grade) as he was in 101 snaps outside in 2018 (90.7 grade). Is he the best slot CB in the league, or among the worst? They genuinely have no idea, although I guess they’d skew toward deeming him the worst, given how bad he was last year. 

Just from watching him play, I personally think he’s a slot corner and wouldn’t hold up long-term outside. I’m aware of what they said about him playing outside in 2018, but we’re talking about 100 snaps, or like a game and a half worth of snaps. That doesn’t mean much to me. I don’t think he’s fast enough or big enough (you kinda have to be one or the other) to consistently match up on the outside. In man, at least. If they’re planning to play a lot of zone, that’s a different story.

I have absolutely no problem with trying him outside. They’re paying him so much money, they might as well try it. But I’m not very optimistic. If I had to lay money down, I would say it ends up being Moreau and Darby primarily outside (until they both get hurt, obviously), with Fuller primarily in the slot. Moreland is the X factor outside, but I’m just not really sure about how he holds up either.

Based on what I’ve read, KC fans would agree with PFF regarding Fuller’s performance from the slot in 2018 and 2019.  Fuller was poor there his rookie year, was elite his sophomore season, and was below average the next two years before moving to FS.  However, he performed well at outside CB - obviously, the sample size was small. 

It’s not just Fuller. PFF has admitted that coverage grades tend to vary significantly from year-to-year.  It makes sense, as performance is so dependent on the WRs and QBs you face from year-to-year.  The true measure of a CB’s talents probably need to be measured as an average across several seasons. For example: Darius Slay received a relatively poor grade from PFF last year, and most Lions fans agree he had a bad year - but he is still considered a top CB by both fans and PFF.  If we use that reasoning, Fuller is probably about average as a slot CB.  He'll have his good years and his bad.

Why don’t you think he’s fast enough to hold up outside?  I think 4.48 is plenty fast for a CB. 

As it relates to his size, there have been plenty of 5’11” CBs who have held up well on the outside. Revis was that height, as just one example. 

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 1