Who’s Your Favorite “Question Mark“ Redskin?

e16bball

20 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Good ones. I'm not sure why Payne took a bit of a step back last year, the only thing I can think of is he put some weight on to be able to hold up against the run. At the 2018 Combine when he ran his 4.9 forty, Payne was 311 lbs, but NFL.com has him listed at 320.

As far as Sweat goes, I’m torn on predicting his production this year. I think he sees less attention bc of Chase but I also think he's going to be splitting snaps with Kerrigan & Young. So, while Kerrigan should have the least amount of snaps amongst the 3, it could end up being Sweat esp if Kerrigan stays healthy this year. I'm not saying I agree with that, but I think DelRio will play Kerrigan more than any of us what him to.

So, I’m torn between Young having the Jevon Kearse type rookie year w/ 15 sacks, if Kerrigan has a resurgence with double-digit sacks or if Sweat gets more sacks bc he sees the least amount I attention and gets double-digit sacks. All in all though, I think the trio combines for near or over 30 sacks this year.

I don’t feel like Payne took a step back outside of numbers. He was constantly getting the brunt of the doubles and focus as he constantly was blowing one guy back into the backfield. I think he just got the focus due to him putting guys on skates in 1-1 constantly against Philly and week 2. After that it seemed like the rest of the year Payne didn’t have many one hat matchups. But Payne is my favorite player on this DL and man his first step for his size and his power and how he gets those gloves into guys chests and leans and pushes is crazy. This def is about to Chase a lot of QB’s and cause a lot of Payne for a while I’m excited. To the original post any DL player could be in line for career years. The size/power/speed on our front is like nothing I can comp too. 

12 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I don’t feel like Payne took a step back outside of numbers. He was constantly getting the brunt of the doubles and focus as he constantly was blowing one guy back into the backfield. I think he just got the focus due to him putting guys on skates in 1-1 constantly against Philly and week 2. After that it seemed like the rest of the year Payne didn’t have many one hat matchups. But Payne is my favorite player on this DL and man his first step for his size and his power and how he gets those gloves into guys chests and leans and pushes is crazy. This def is about to Chase a lot of QB’s and cause a lot of Payne for a while I’m excited.

To the original post any DL player could be in line for career years. The size/power/speed on our front is like nothing I can comp too. 

Good point, and I’ve felt that way in my heart about Payne's season last year, but I haven't seen enough film/highlights or analysis from people to make a real informed opinion about it but I always respect your opinion, even if I don't always agree. 👍

To the bolded, I don't 100% agree with that one. I don't see Ioannidis getting much better than what he already is or Allen tbh - they are both near their ceilings - and I definitely think that Kerrigan will at best maintain his play but most likely continue to decline as he started to last year and even a little in 2018 despite what the raw stats say from 2018.

Edited by turtle28

On 5/16/2020 at 12:20 PM, e16bball said:

No fair, he’s not a question mark in your eyes. No fun picking absolute certainties. Vetoed. 

😂

Next, you'll be denying my identification of Redskins "question marks" such as Darrell Green, Art Monk, Dexter Manley, Charles Mann, etc...

Geez. Some people just can't be pleased!

https://riggosrag.com/2020/05/18/two-transformative-talents-two-major-question-marks/2/

Two transformative Redskins who could break out… if healthy

Some have interpreted the selection of Antonio Gibson in Round 3 this year as a sign that the team is not confident Love will ever regain that 2017 form. I don’t think that figured into the Gibson decision. I think they just wanted as many dynamic playmakers as they could get. This is a copycat league, and when Kansas City drafts Mecole Hardman, it doesn’t mean Tyreek Hill is subpar. It just means they more Twantyreek Hills.

• Like 1

@turtle28

"I definitely think that Kerrigan will at best maintain his play but most likely continue to decline as he started to last year and even a little in 2018 despite what the raw stats say from 2018".

I have been scratching my head about Kerrigan  since last yr. This may seem kind of odd but my feelings about him are not that great. He still has gas in the tank. The drafting of Sweat with Kerrigan  31 means kerrigan could be in trouble. Thoughts of trading him before the draft for a second rd pick came to my mind back in April. Adding Anderson into the mix also mean Kerrigan may have to accept a reduced role and this will increase his career. Don't get me wrong I still like Kerrigan but it may be time to get the young pups more playing time. The talent on our team and we finally have some kind of DC and lets not forget about the talent on the offense either.

• Like 1

I’ve mentioned this before, but I really think a big “question mark” for this season is whether Kendall Fuller can be successful as our outside CB1. He’s proven in small sample sizes in KC that he can be. For whatever reason, he never got the chance to prove it full time over there. I hope JDR and Rivera give him that chance here. It would be incredible if we could have our #1 CB spot locked down for the next 4 years at a relative discount. 

2 hours ago, 4209 said:

@turtle28

"I definitely think that Kerrigan will at best maintain his play but most likely continue to decline as he started to last year and even a little in 2018 despite what the raw stats say from 2018".

I have been scratching my head about Kerrigan  since last yr. This may seem kind of odd but my feelings about him are not that great. He still has gas in the tank. The drafting of Sweat with Kerrigan  31 means kerrigan could be in trouble. Thoughts of trading him before the draft for a second rd pick came to my mind back in April. Adding Anderson into the mix also mean Kerrigan may have to accept a reduced role and this will increase his career. Don't get me wrong I still like Kerrigan but it may be time to get the young pups more playing time. The talent on our team and we finally have some kind of DC and lets not forget about the talent on the offense either.

We’re on exactly the same page me, and a few others like @lavar703 wanted to trade Kerrigan back before the trade deadline last October, and Trent and I wanted to trade Norman then too. 

7 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I’ve mentioned this before, but I really think a big “question mark” for this season is whether Kendall Fuller can be successful as our outside CB1. He’s proven in small sample sizes in KC that he can be. For whatever reason, he never got the chance to prove it full time over there. I hope JDR and Rivera give him that chance here. It would be incredible if we could have our #1 CB spot locked down for the next 4 years at a relative discount. 

He should be mainly inside but he’s not coming off the field I think they will play him where he best matches up against for the opposite team he’s not going to be a player in one spot for games in a row. He’s our Swiss Army knife for the back end. I actually think Jimmy Mo ends up outside kinda more in the Sherman side of the field how Norman was playing in Carolina.

Cole Holcomb,He has a chance to take the MLB job with all the uncertainty around Foster.Good tackler learning to cover.He could be the x factor in our run defense if not all facets of the defense.He breaks out at MLB then I think we have a top ten defense.

6 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Why though?

That’s where he jumps routes because he mirrors his guy and keeps eyes on the QB he’s really well at jumping off his guy he just always is around the ball because he plays inside and he is a really aware player. He can play outside. If we want him where he’s going to shine I put him in the role he played here before he left because he shined his brightest there.

5 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

That’s where he jumps routes because he mirrors his guy and keeps eyes on the QB he’s really well at jumping off his guy he just always is around the ball because he plays inside and he is a really aware player. He can play outside. If we want him where he’s going to shine I put him in the role he played here before he left because he shined his brightest there.

For me, it depends on the match-up.  Del Rio is known for running primarily Man defenses while Rivera ran the highest amount of Zone in the league in CAR.  If we use Del Rio's schemes and run a lot of Cover 1 man, I would want Fuller to be matched up against whoever the #1 WR is, whether that be out wide or in the slot.  If we are primarily running Rivera's scheme, I would want Fuller on the outside, in a position that has more impact in Zone.

Our DBs are pretty much all 4.3 - 4.4 speed guys, so my guess is we'll be playing mostly Man and using Del Rio's scheme (which is a big reason I think they wanted the 4.38 Darby).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

For me, it depends on the match-up.  Del Rio is known for running primarily Man defenses while Rivera ran the highest amount of Zone in the league in CAR.  If we use Del Rio's schemes and run a lot of Cover 1 man, I would want Fuller to be matched up against whoever the #1 WR is, whether that be out wide or in the slot.  If we are primarily running Rivera's scheme, I would want Fuller on the outside, in a position that has more impact in Zone.

Our DBs are pretty much all 4.3 - 4.4 speed guys, so my guess is we'll be playing mostly Man and using Del Rio's scheme (which is a big reason I think they wanted the 4.38 Darby).

Good post.  I definitely agree with that and see it.  

Usually by now, we would know for sure what changes would be happening- such as this or the ZBS change- but we are left to guess because the media doesn't have OTAs and minicamps to cover.  

• Like 2