Facilities can reopen on Tuesday

But with restrictions- no coaching staff, and no players unless they are there for treatment.  

“No members of the coaching staff may return to the facility,” the memo reads. “This is important to ensure equity among all 32 clubs. Clubs may otherwise decide which employees may return to the facility, which may include members of the personnel, football operations or football administration staff, equipment staff, medical staff, and nutritionists. If the strength and conditioning coach is currently participating in player rehabilitation, he may continue that work in the facility. Otherwise, the strength and conditioning coach may not return until the rest of the coaching staff is allowed to return.”

Players still are prohibited from team facilities for now unless they are undergoing treatment or rehabilitation.

Teams unable to meet the league’s criteria for reopening Tuesday “may reopen their facilities on the earliest date thereafter on which they are able to meet the criteria.”

Read More: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/15/team-facilities-can-reopen-tuesday-but-remain-closed-to-coaching-staffs/

They’re inching their way there. I really hope they can have some kind of training camp but it still seems like a huge IF to me. All it takes is one guy - player or coach - and the entire team will have to be quarantined for 14 days and anyone else the player/coach came into contact with.

Edited by turtle28

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

They’re inching their way there. I really hope they can have some kind of training camp but it still seems like a huge IF to me. All it takes is one guy - player or coach - and the entire team will have to be quarantined for 14 days and anyone else the player/coach came into contact with.

That is not necessarily the case at this point.  If teams are doing what the CDC recommends, they don't have to quarantine everyone for two weeks unless people elect to self-quarantine.  At least that is now the case for essential businesses.  

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

That is not necessarily the case at this point.  If teams are doing what the CDC recommends, they don't have to quarantine everyone for two weeks unless people elect to self-quarantine.  At least that is now the case for essential businesses.  

I'm no expert on this stuff by a long shot but, it still seems like 14 days to me but I am probably reading this wrong, maybe it's 7-10 days, but that's still a big deal. It's not short of a cluster **** just look at what happened with the NBA after Gobbert got it, shut down the league and the last few teams be played had to get checked. Then, MLB & NHL followed suit in suspending their seasons.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/disposition-in-home-patients.html

• Changed the name of the ‘non-test-based strategy’ to the ‘symptom-based strategy’ for those with symptoms. Added a ‘time-based strategy’ and named the ‘test-based strategy’ for asymptomatic persons with laboratory-confirmed COVID-19.
  • Extended the home isolation period from 7 to 10 days since symptoms first appeared for the symptom-based strategy in persons with COVID-19 who have symptoms and from 7 to 10 days after the date of their first positive test for the time-based strategy in asymptomatic persons with laboratory-confirmed COVID-19. 
  • This update was made based on evidence suggesting a longer duration of viral shedding and will be revised as additional evidence becomes available. This time period will capture a greater proportion of contagious patients; however, it will not capture everyone.
Edited by turtle28

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I'm no expert on this stuff by a long shot but, it still seems like 14 days to me but I am probably reading this wrong, maybe it's 7-10 days, but that's still a big deal. It's not short of a cluster **** just look at what happened with the NBA after Gobbert got it, shut down the league and the last few teams be played had to get checked. Then, MLB & NHL followed suit in suspending their seasons.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/disposition-in-home-patients.html

• Changed the name of the ‘non-test-based strategy’ to the ‘symptom-based strategy’ for those with symptoms. Added a ‘time-based strategy’ and named the ‘test-based strategy’ for asymptomatic persons with laboratory-confirmed COVID-19.
  • Extended the home isolation period from 7 to 10 days since symptoms first appeared for the symptom-based strategy in persons with COVID-19 who have symptoms and from 7 to 10 days after the date of their first positive test for the time-based strategy in asymptomatic persons with laboratory-confirmed COVID-19. 
  • This update was made based on evidence suggesting a longer duration of viral shedding and will be revised as additional evidence becomes available. This time period will capture a greater proportion of contagious patients; however, it will not capture everyone.

Sorry.  Six weeks ago, we had a positive case at work, and we had to send everyone home who had close, prolonged contact with that person home for two weeks, starting at the last day they had contact with them.  So by that time, eight days was the most someone was home.  We didn't get another case from that.  

Now, if you are following CDC guidelines, only the person with symptoms has to be home for the timeframe.  Not everyone who had close contact with them.  

5 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

They need to hurry up and open, if for no other reason than to just babysit.

Ed Oliver was just arrested for Dui & possession of a firearm.

As it was pointed out in the thread in NFL News, he could have a registered gun with a CCL but that all immediately goes out the door if he is under the influence.   So he absolutely messed up, but I wasn't aware of that being the case in some states.  

7 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

As it was pointed out in the thread in NFL News, he could have a registered gun with a CCL but that all immediately goes out the door if he is under the influence.   So he absolutely messed up, but I wasn't aware of that being the case in some states.  

It's New York, they have some of the strictest gun laws in the country. My work actually represents the workers at Remmington Arms in Illion, NY.

20 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I really have a feeling this is going to backfire w/ players getting sick and not work but I hope I’m wrong.

People are going to get sick, but we have come a long way from a month ago, much less two months ago, in how we mitigate things.  

What will be interesting is if some of the power players in the league refuse to play.  That could trickle down to the point where you might get into a labor disagreement on that front.  

15 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

People are going to get sick, but we have come a long way from a month ago, much less two months ago, in how we mitigate things.  

What will be interesting is if some of the power players in the league refuse to play.  That could trickle down to the point where you might get into a labor disagreement on that front.  

Of course people are going to get sick, they’re finding out through testing and tracing in NY that a lot of people have it that were mostly just saying at home like us.

We’ve only come a long way bc people are mostly staying at home. When you open up society again for everyone to just do whatever they want and some act like the virus isn’t even real, then the virus will spread even worse than it did in March.

Go look at past viruses like the Spanish Flu, the 2nd wave is always worse than the first. That’s bc people let their guard down and thought the flu was over after a few months and they were past it after the first wave. I have no clue if that will happen like 100 years ago, but it is a concern.

If the virus is still an issue or becomes an even bigger issue this fall, of course Some players - maybe most - are going to refuse to play until there is better medicine to handle the symptoms or preferably a vaccine hopefully at some point next year.

It will be interesting to see what the players do then. If they walk out then the league could try to get replacement players again. If that happens, do replacement players want to risk their lives to ply football for 1/4 to 1/10th of what the NFL Vet minimum is? 

Maybe, but I don’t know that they would. I don’t know if XFL players and those like them will play and risk getting sick too. And will the NFL Players then have pickets to go against the players who are taking their jobs?

You are totally right, this could lead to labor unrest if the billionaire owners demand that there be football this year even if it’s putting players and coaches At risk of COVID.

Edited by turtle28

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Of course people are going to get sick, they’re finding out through testing and tracing in NY that a lot of people have it that were mostly just saying at home like us.

We’ve only come a long way bc people are mostly staying at home. When you open up society again for everyone to just do whatever they want and some act like the virus isn’t even real then, the virus will spread even worse than it did in March.

Go look at past viruses like the Spanish Flu, the 2nd wave is always worse than the first. That’s  bc people have their guard down and think they’re past it after the first wave. I have no clue if that will happen, but it is a concern.

If the virus is still an issue or becomes an even bigger issue this fall, of course Some players - maybe most - are going to refuse to play until there is better medicine to handle the symptoms or preferably a vaccine hopefully at some point next year.

It will be interesting to see what the players do then. If they walk out then the league could try to get replacement players again. If that happens, do replacement players want to risk their lives to ply football for 1/4 to 1/10th of what the NFL Vet minimum is? 

Maybe, but I don’t know that they would. I don’t know if XFL players and those like them will play and risk getting sick too. And will the NFL Players then have pickets to go against the players who are taking their jobs?

You are totally right, this could lead to labor unrest if the billionaire owners demand that there be football this year even if it’s putting players and coaches At risk of COVID.

The Spanish Flu 2nd wave has been miscategorized to fit the agenda of some people.  Go do some research on it and dig a little deeper.  It was caused by troop movements at the end of WWI and they brought home a couple different deadly strands from Europe, similar to how New York City seemed to have a much more virulent infection that mutated in Europe than the West Coast coming directly from China with Covid-19.  

Besides that, your point stands in regards to some people letting their guards down.  We will likely see hot spots flare up, and interstate and international travel needs to be very limited until we can do more testing and tracing.  

Some players will refuse to play.  Some will see it as a duty to give some people normalcy and hope.  I bet we have the NFLPA split on it, and a decision made for players to do as they please, but if they don't play, they don't get paid and their contracts are frozen until they get on the field.  If they sit out half of the season and come back, they would get a prorated portion of the contract, with there ultimately being a deadline of when a player can come back to advance his contract another year.  To replace those guys, I see replacement players.  We just had the XFL finish up, so I imagine there are plenty of players out there they can pick from between them, and the college graduates who weren't picked up.  

The billionaire owners demanding football, still probably lose more money than if they just cancel the season outright.  Cancelling the season also cancels contracts, and would allow them to lay off quite a few of the support staffs at this point.  The best hope here is that, with a season, teams break even.  I think that's the case for all sports, not just football.  

Also, I completely understand that the players need to feel safe, but let's not ignore that there are a lot of essential workers who are making minimum wage right now in needed jobs who still don't feel safe.  For millionaires to decide it's not safe for them, means we shouldn't be asking the same of this for essential workers.  Them providing hope and normalcy to essential workers who are risking their lives right now shouldn't be overlooked in this.  

If we can't come to an agreement on playing football, BOTH sides are to blame, and as someone who won't see money near the levels of any of them, I won't feel bad for either.