List your order of general managers from best to worst.

JAF-N72EX

Just now, WindyCity said:

That is a very nice breakdown of Pace's failure of a development plan for a QB.

Yes, if you took time to find old threads I said a lot of that in real time.  I was really pissed about the plan after they drafted MT.

Just now, dll2000 said:

Yes, if you took time to find old threads I said a lot of that in real time.  I was really pissed about the plan after they drafted MT.

I mean Reid was clearly grooming Mahomes and was probably paying him all kinds of special attention in first year.   They just kinda gave MT a clipboard to hold with a lame duck coach.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.  

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

That is a very nice breakdown of Pace's failure of a development plan for a QB.

You are going to bring me around to wanting to be rid of Pace soon.  Only thing holding me back is I am strongly in favor of Organizational congruity and getting better at a job if you start out with intelligence and some competence. 

Steelers are a great model of sticking with guys over decades and it paying off.   I don’t think Tomlin is any great coach.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

You are going to bring me around to wanting to be rid of Pace soon.  Only thing holding me back is I am strongly in favor of Organizational congruity and getting better at a job if you start out with intelligence and some competence. 

Steelers are a great model of sticking with guys over decades and it paying off.   I don’t think Tomlin is any great coach.  

I just do not see the point in keeping someone around once they have shown you they are mediocre. I get the idea of continuity, but you really want continuous mediocrity?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Also entirely possible, in alternate Universe, had Browns or even Bears took Mahomes he turns into a bust and everyone is laughing about the Mahomes pick.

I mean by a lot of reports Mahomes was really bad early and a light bulb came on about the end of his 2nd training camp.  

I read differently. Veach essentially said day 1 that Mahomes was one of the best players he's ever seen.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chiefswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/01/brett-veach-patrick-mahomes-is-one-of-the-best-players-ive-ever-seen/amp/

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I just do not see the point in keeping someone around once they have shown you they are mediocre. I get the idea of continuity, but you really want continuous mediocrity?

Yet NFL model is if you succeed early you get more time and if you fail early you don’t.  Then most guys simply fail later.

Its like a giant merry go round or something.  Better metaphor somewhere.  

Patriots and Steelers have shown a different way and have had way more consistent success over decades and I am not sure why more teams don’t try that model in some fashion.  Rather than just constantly grabbing new guys every 4 years.  

You could argue Belichick as an outlier, but there was nothing particularly special about all the Steelers coaches save maybe Chuck Knoll early in his career.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Yet NFL model is if you succeed early you get more time and if you fail early you don’t.  Then most guys simply fail later.

Its like a giant merry go round or something.  Better metaphor somewhere.  

Patriots and Steelers have shown a different way and have had way more consistent success over decades and I am not sure why more teams don’t try that model in some fashion.  Rather than just constantly grabbing new guys every 4 years.  

You could argue Belichick as an outlier, but there was nothing particularly special about all the Steelers coaches save maybe Chuck Knoll early in his career.

I think you under rate the Steelers operation.

I mean Andy Reid was very good coach in Philly, but he stagnated a bit and he got better when he adapted and changed to marry his system with Chip Kelly’s.  

Coaches who can adapt and change and grow and keep learning are ones you want.  Ones with a base knowledge of all systems and an open mind.  They are going to have some down years with experimentation too.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I think you under rate the Steelers operation.

That’s what I mean.  All levels of football that succeed consistently from little league to high school to college to even pros is because of a ‘program.’

Not just a great, intelligent, coach.  If you can build a program.  That is the key.

Real talk- GMs who have gotten the QB position right (meaning their work)

Belichick

Schneider

Loomis

The maybes:

Snead

Spielman

Roseman

Jones

Everybody else either went into the situation with the QB already in place, or are in the same situation as Pace.  

Just for some clarification purposes, some info you may or may not know before you try to invalidate the list.  

John Dorsey was the GM who drafted Mahomes and it was an Andy Reid decision.  

Personnel power belonged Bill Cowher  when Ben was drafted.

Eric Decosta ( who I love as a GM) was just promoted last year, Jackson was Ozzie's last first round pick, was 100% his decision, and oh btw, Qzzie has taken A LOT of bites at the QB apple.  

Interesting aside none of the got it right crew drafted their QB in the first round and only 2 of the maybes.  None of the GMs who drafted the elite first round QBs of today have jobs anymore.  Gaming is really, really hard.

• Like 2