The Greatest Slump on Turf

Dome

From 2002-2006 (5 NFL seasons) Kurt Warner played in just 35 games. His teams went 8-23 and he threw for 27 TDs and 30 INTs in that time (0-7 with the Rams, 3-12 with the Cardinals and 5-4 in one season with the Giants). 2002 was probably the worst of these years, he threw for 3 TDs and 11 INTs just two years removed from his 41 TD season and one year after his 2nd All Pro.

So.... what the hell happened? I wasn't heavily invested in the NFL until about 2005. I could understand if injuries de-reailed him, but it didn't appear he was playing well even when available.

And can you recall other HOFs who had similar extended slumps in their career?

Edited by Dome

41 minutes ago, Dome said:

So.... what the hell happened? I wasn't heavily invested in the NFL until about 2005. I could understand if injuries de-reailed him, but it didn't appear he was playing well even when available.

I read somewhere that Kurt just decided to bag it:

Before he got signed to the NFL, all Kurt Warner was qualified to do was bag groceries. He was in a state of plateau.

• Like 1

For Warner, a lot of it really was just the injuries. Between 02 and 03 he had a broken hand and a broken finger, and the result was just a crazy amount of fumbles and interceptions. That one game he played in 03, I want to say he fumbled 6 times, and it was largely because he really just couldn't grip the ball properly. Some injuries aren't an excuse, but trying to play through a hand injury as a QB is going to destroy your performance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dome said:

From 2002-2006 (5 NFL seasons) Kurt Warner played in just 35 games. His teams went 8-23 and he threw for 27 TDs and 30 INTs in that time (0-7 with the Rams, 3-12 with the Cardinals and 5-4 in one season with the Giants). 2002 was probably the worst of these years, he threw for 3 TDs and 11 INTs just two years removed from his 41 TD season and one year after his 2nd All Pro.

And can you recall other HOFs who had similar extended slumps in their career?

That period was a reason I wasn't in favor of him getting elected to the the HOF. I feel like people gloss over that time in his career, because the 1999-2001 dominance of the Rams sparked by the remarkable rags to riches story was just more entertaining to focus on. Having Warner playing quality ball the last few years of his career with the Cardinals was a nice ending to the story too. Warner also has a large presence in NFL media since he retired, and I think that helped get him in. But yeah, he was atrocious during that 4 year period. Like someone else mentioned, he was dealing with injuries and playing on some bad squads, but at the same time he was a reason why said squads were bad. 

Edited by PapaShogun

19 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

That period was a reason I wasn't in favor of him getting elected to the the HOF. I feel like people gloss over that time in his career, because the 1999-2001 dominance of the Rams sparked by the remarkable rags to riches story was just more entertaining to focus on. Having Warner playing quality ball the last few years of his career with the Cardinals was a nice ending to the story too. Warner also has a large presence in NFL media since he retired, and I think that helped get him in. But yeah, he was atrocious during that 4 year period. Like someone else mentioned, he was dealing with injuries and playing on some bad squads, but at the same time he was a reason why said squads were bad. 

It's almost when you play with really good players on offense it can make you look like a better QB than you actually are

And when you don't have great players you can look like trash

Don't tell this to Dak Prescott or Matts4313