Redskins WR Cody Latimer arrested

On 5/20/2020 at 12:51 PM, offbyone said:

Potentially sounds like some terrible mitigating circumstances.

Nevertheless, pointing weapons at people is a big concern no matter what the reason.

One could also ask why Latimer is bringing a 4 year old to a poker game during covid?  

Easy to jump to conclusions, not a lot of facts out there on this one.   But at the very least it appears like Latimer has some seriously questionable judgment.  

Yep! And, the point remains thats it’s questionable if we even need him on the roster anyways. He’s never proven to be a starting WR despite having those physical god given abilities and, he can’t play in the slot, so his entire career he’s been a #4 WR. He’s a faster version of Josh Doctson IMO.

The young prospects we have are already more well rounded WRs - Terry, Steven Sims & Harmon - even guys like Cam Sims, Kidsy & Quinn are.

Latimer probably shouldn’t have made the team even if this didn’t happen bc at his age you want that guy to be a #2, not a #4 or 5 WR. I don’t care what his natural talent and speed are, if you can’t produce consistently on the field, you shouldn’t be on the team, especially if you’re not a special teams ace too. He’s cheap so it was worth the Hail Mary, but I don’t know why he hasn’t been cut already TBH.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Good lord, just cut him already and be done with it. 

Agreed.  From my perspective he was supposed to be a mature vet presence in the building.  He clearly isn't that type of vet presence so what do we need him for.  Plus this is just another perfect opportunity for RR to do his whole character prove it thing.  Cut him.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, offbyone said:

Agreed.  From my perspective he was supposed to be a mature vet presence in the building.  He clearly isn't that type of vet presence so what do we need him for.  Plus this is just another perfect opportunity for RR to do his whole character prove it thing.  Cut him.  

For future players who might consider coming here, you let the investigation play out.  That way, if a player is considering signing with the Redskins, they know if they make a mistake, which we all do, then the team will have their back. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

For future players who might consider coming here, you let the investigation play out.  That way, if a player is considering signing with the Redskins, they know if they make a mistake, which we all do, then the team will have their back. 

Huh? Pulling guns on people is not a mistake an employer - no matter how talented the player is - should ever overlook, and he's not even that good. He may not have even made the team w/o this incident.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

This ^^^. Guys, you can't just cut the guy right now. Let this play out and find out what we can. The OTAs haven't started and Week 1 hasn't started either. We have some time. 

And while I say that players shouldn't be making these "mistakes", I do have some sympathy of the "there but for the grace of <insert deity of your choice> go I".

Because as calm as I am most of the time, if someone harms my child? Yeah...I'm gonna be like Ving Raimes in Pulp Fiction when he decides to "go medieval". So I can understand losing it. 

As for making stupid parental decisions. I once let my 3 year old daughter watch "Band of Brothers" with me. Thought nothing of it until my wife walked in the room and asked "is this appropriate programming for our 3 year old?" right in the middle of a bloody battle.

Same thing with my son a few months ago (right before he turned two). We were watching "Hitman's Bodyguard". Wife came in and asked the same question as before (*)

(*) I'm detecting a pattern here of not so good parental decisions by me. 

16 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Huh? Pulling guns on people is not a mistake an employer - no matter how talented the player is - should ever overlook, and he's not even that good. He may not have even made the team w/o this incident.

True. But if my child was harmed by those I pointed it at? I'd want my employer to wait until all facts came out.

As for making the team? I agree. He was a long shot. So this is why @naptownskinsfan strategy does double duty. Future players can see that you even gave a long shot a chance to work through the legal system. So what would you do for a star player?

Let's see what comes of this and then make a decision. No need to go rushing to cut the guy now. Cutting him now without looking into it, gives us no benefit long-term. Waiting a few weeks to do our due diligence and then cutting him, does.

And either way, if you cut him now or later (or if you find out that the facts aren't what they seem right now), you're still working on the culture like RR wants to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

True. But if my child was harmed by those I pointed it at? I'd want my employer to wait until all facts came out.

As for making the team? I agree. He was a long shot. So this is why @naptownskinsfan strategy does double duty. Future players can see that you even gave a long shot a chance to work through the legal system. So what would you do for a star player?

Let's see what comes of this and then make a decision. No need to go rushing to cut the guy now. Cutting him now without looking into it, gives us no benefit long-term. Waiting a few weeks to do our due diligence and then cutting him, does.

And either way, if you cut him now or later (or if you find out that the facts aren't what they seem right now), you're still working on the culture like RR wants to do.

leonardo dicaprio django unchained gif | WiffleGif

After Bruce spent the past decade treating players like crap and dragging the perception of how we treat players to an extremely low level, we need things like this to work through and get back into the good graces of the larger NFLPA community.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yes, but on the other side of that coin, current players can see that you let this guy slide on pulling out a gun and threatening to kill people — so if a longshot can get away with that and keep his roster spot, what can a star player get away with in the Redskins organization? 

Given the claims of provocation by his attorney, I can understand why they’re hesitating to pull the trigger (pun intended) on cutting ties with the guy. But I guess my question is, when do we deem the situation to have “played out fully”? He’s probably got a preliminary hearing on July 24, which means he likely won’t get close to an actual resolution until midseason. Do we have to wait until he’s duly convicted in a court of law to take action? Is it unfair to take his legal status into account in determining his roster status — “gosh, very close call between Cody and Trey, Cody is probably a better fit, but he might be going to prison around Week 6, so that could create a roster pinch for us...” What if the victim doesn’t show up or asks for him to get a diversion/non conviction disposition because they’re friends, does that force us to disregard the behavior? Does he get special consideration because some people approve of the basis for his angry armed vigilante actions, as opposed to the angry armed vigilante actions of Baker/Dunbar?

And just for the record, he didn’t pull the gun on the guy he got into it with about his kid. He was drunk at the late night poker game (with his kid there) and got into it with some guy, and they were separated by the guy who owns the house. Who happens to be Latimer’s good friend. Latimer leaves, as does everyone else, then he comes back with a gun and starts waving it around and threatening to kill everybody — which at that time was just the homeowner and his girlfriend. They talk him down, he starts unloading the gun, and then he somehow gets re-escalated and fires two shots near the homeowner. The homeowner then pinned Latimer against the wall, and Latimer pistol whipped him. Real heroic figure, I think we’re all looking forward to the movie they make about him.

Edited by e16bball

15 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Call the police. Let Law & Order SVU handle it.

@e16bball Thanks for the explanation in the last paragraph. As @lavar703 said, cut the guy already.

He was at best an average WR who’s not reached his potential in 6 years as a pro.

We have the following:

1. Terry

2. harmon

3. Steven Sims

4. AGG

5. Quinn or Cam Sims

6. Quinn, Cam, Hall, Wright or Kidsy - if we keep 6.

And, we have Antonio Gibson & McKissic who have WR skills. On top of that, we have Caleb Wilson who’s build like a TE but has WR skills.

Plus Jon Johnson, Weah and Veasy who are likely fighting to just make the practice squad. 

Bottomline, we don’t need Latimer.

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

And just for the record, he didn’t pull the gun on the guy he got into it with about his kid. He was drunk at the late night poker game (with his kid there) and got into it with some guy, and they were separated by the guy who owns the house. Who happens to be Latimer’s good friend. Latimer leaves, as does everyone else, then he comes back with a gun and starts waving it around and threatening to kill everybody — which at that time was just the homeowner and his girlfriend. They talk him down, he starts unloading the gun, and then he somehow gets re-escalated and fires two shots near the homeowner. The homeowner then pinned Latimer against the wall, and Latimer pistol whipped him. Real heroic figure, I think we’re all looking forward to the movie they make about him.

And see, this is the part I didn't know about (my fault for not following it closely enough). I was speaking only to the part where the discussion was about his kid. So yes, to your other point, we find out what we can and make a decision in the next few weeks. I didn't say to wait until the trier of fact rendered their decision. So, if this is indeed the case (the remainder of what you posted)? Then yeah, if I'm the Redskins, he's not on the team this time next month (i.e. - we make the decision in the next few weeks)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Dude. I'm a parent. As such, I understand the visceral reaction that can take place. So if this did occur, I'm not judging his initial response too harshly.

Yeah, but there’s right and wrong. Doing what he did gets you put in jail or prison. I don’t even understand how this is an discussion?

I have nieces. Again, I would confront the person about it, and call the cops. I wouldn’t be brandishing weapons when I did that and I certainly wouldn't be firing off rounds.

Just bc someone may or may not have done something inappropriate to a child does not give the other person to also do something that is worse and could be a felony. Latimer is looking at prison time. Is that really worth losing $900,000 over bc you didn't let the police handle it and do their job? He just cost his kid and family even more by those actions. $900k for the next several years is what he cost his family.

And, if/when he goes to prison, his kids won't have a father and they won't have the $900k a year to live off of.

Not smart.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, but there’s right and wrong. Doing what he did gets you put in jail or prison. I don’t even understand how this is an discussion?

I have nieces. Again, I would confront the person about it, and call the cops. I wouldn’t be brandishing weapons when I did that and I certainly wouldn't be firing off rounds.

Just bc someone may or may not have done something inappropriate to a child does not give the other person to also do something that is worse and could be a felony. Latimer is looking at prison time. Is that really worth losing $900,000 over bc you didn't let the police handle it and do their job? He just cost his kid and family even more by those actions. $900k for the next several years is what he cost his family.

And, if/when he goes to prison, his kids won't have a father and they won't have the $900k a year to live off of.

Not smart.

You understand what a visceral reaction is, right? It's not checking with the brain to decide the rest of what you posted (which I want to be on record as not disagreeing with - yes it's not smart - but a visceral response is instinctual)