Bill Belichick is the GOAT of our generation but who is 2nd best coach of our generation?

buno67

Bill Belichick is #1, who is 2nd best coach of our generation?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the 2nd best HC behind BB for our generation?

• Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks - 14 seasons as an NFL head coach, Carroll is 133-90-1 (.596) with a Super Bowl title, two Super Bowl appearances and 10 playoff berths
    • John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens - 12-year Ravens leader is 118-74 (.615) with one championship and eight playoff berths.
    • Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints - 13 seasons, Payton is 131-77 (.630) with one championship and eight playoff berths.
    • Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers - 14th season as the Steelers’ head coach, Tomlin is 133-74-1 (.642) with one championship, two Super Bowl appearances and eight postseason berths.
    • Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs/Philadelphia Eagles - The 21-year head coach is 207-128-1 (.618) with a championship, two Super Bowl appearances and 15 playoff entries.
    • Other - you name the coach

17 hours ago, buno67 said:

Why does Payton get the nod? Reid has taken two different teams to the Super Bowl and won once and has had success with more than one QB. I want to see what Payton does with out brees. Also if we are going to hold some of the failures of the eagles to Reid, then it goes with Payton cause he failed with some pretty great teams as well

Well he was the reason Tony Romo came to Dallas... so its not like he is a 1 hit wonder. 

• Like 1

My inclination is Reid, mostly due to the variety of personnel he's found success with. He's gone to a Super Bowl with two different franchises, had winning seasons and playoff runs with several different quarterbacks. I think that says something.

However, I think it's either very unfortunate, or a testament to Belichick, or both, that after BB, there's a MASSIVE drop in how you feel about any head coach. Every other name you can think of, even the good ones, comes with a feeling of "Yeah!...but..."

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

I feel like Harbaugh, Tomlin, Reid, and Peyton have all grown a lot as coaches in the last few seasons. All four have been adapting to the league through changes in their coaching staff and gotten ahead in different innovative ways. All four have won a Super Bowl and I view all four the same basically.

The second best head coach of my generation, (turning 30 end of next March), I'd have to say is between Pete Carroll or Marty Schottenheimer. Both put together consistent winners, but Carroll has more playoff success. I like how Carroll creates a unique culture and gets the best out of players, even ones most fans don't know about. Carroll finds and develops great players who have then moved on and still his teams succeed.

If not for the Bill Parcells and Pete Carroll team building on the Patriots, I wonder how much success Belichick would have found early on. A lot of the great defenders Belichick coached early in his time with the Pats were carryovers from when both Parcells and Carroll were around. Speaking of Parcells, he definitely gets an honorable mention in this topic.

Other good coaches of my generation worth considering: Mike Holmgren, Bruce Arians, Mike Zimmer, Gary Kubiak, Ron Rivera, John Gruden, and John Fox.

I think some notable up-and-comers in the context of this discussion are: Frank Reich, Sean McDermott, Sean McVay, Kyle Shannahan, and Doug Pederson.

Great post.  

I am a big Harbaugh fan, because I think running the team as the CEO-type coach as he did was the way to go.  However, Greg Roman's offense for Lamar Jackson saved Harbaugh's job two seasons ago.  He was a dead man walking, and Jackson's surge brought him back from the brink.  

I would agree with Pete Carroll.  He has a SB victory but also has a career .600 record in the NFL, and an .800 record in college.  Marty is a great builder, it just stinks he never got over the hump so to speak for a championship.

I'm not so sure if I would include Rivera.  He's been good, but he's not greatest of this generation.  After the 15-1 season, he was sub .500 in Carolina and finished with four winning seasons in nine years.  

Holmgren should probably be in the upper tier as well.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Great post.  

I am a big Harbaugh fan, because I think running the team as the CEO-type coach as he did was the way to go.  However, Greg Roman's offense for Lamar Jackson saved Harbaugh's job two seasons ago.  He was a dead man walking, and Jackson's surge brought him back from the brink.  

I would agree with Pete Carroll.  He has a SB victory but also has a career .600 record in the NFL, and an .800 record in college.  Marty is a great builder, it just stinks he never got over the hump so to speak for a championship.

I'm not so sure if I would include Rivera.  He's been good, but he's not greatest of this generation.  After the 15-1 season, he was sub .500 in Carolina and finished with four winning seasons in nine years.  

Holmgren should probably be in the upper tier as well.  

Agreed on Harbaugh. A little overrated up until he needed to make a dramatic change for the sake of his job and it has paid off. I think he has already learned a lot in the Lamar Jackson era. Harbaugh's scouting/evaluating of players I believe is one part where he has improved in pursuit of building around Lamar. Greg Roman has gained some new detractors so it will be odd if part of the staff that helped Harbaugh is canned because of a failure to adapt and take Lamar to the next level, so to speak.

Ron Rivera on the other hand I think has consistently been solid with his defenses and is capable in leading a team. Rivera always seems unintimidated by the toughest challenges and matches up well against the best teams/coaches. I have to disagree with you and say Rivera deserves to be mentioned with these other upper echelon coaches. I think that like the coaches in the poll, Rivera will have a chance to learn and adapt now to prove he belongs in consideration among the best.

I appreciate your compliment on my post btw.

Edited by DoleINGout
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

Agreed on Harbaugh. A little overrated up until he needed to make a dramatic change for the sake of his job and it has paid off. I think he has already learned a lot in the Lamar Jackson era. Harbaugh's scouting/evaluating of players I believe is one part where he has improved in pursuit of building around Lamar. Greg Roman has gained some new detractors so it will be odd if part of the staff that helped Harbaugh is canned because of a failure to adapt and take Lamar to the next level, so to speak.

Ron Rivera on the other hand I think has consistently been solid with his defenses and is capable in leading a team. Rivera always seems unintimidated by the toughest challenges and matches up well against the best teams/coaches. I have to disagree with you and say Rivera deserves to be mentioned with these other upper echelon coaches. I think that like the coaches in the poll, Rivera will have a chance to learn and adapt now to prove he belongs in consideration among the best.

I appreciate your compliment on my post btw.

I also don't think they've skipped a beat in the switch from Ozzie Newsome to Eric DeCosta.  In fact, DeCosta might be an upgrade from Ozzie as far as the draft is concerned, at least as it pertains to wide receiver.  

I've heavily criticized my team hiring Rivera.  I hope I am wrong.  But across four different GMs, some patterns are already repeating themselves, and some of the issues in Carolina might ultimately be placed at Rivera's feet that we might not already be considering.  I hope he embraces being the CEO, and let Scott Turner run the offense and especially let Jack Del Rio handle the defense.  Head coaches have enough on their plate being the head coach.  I'm also hoping he does embrace what he says about a consensus in the front office, because a coach and GM doesn't really work either unless you happen to be named Bill Belichick.  

40 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

a coach and GM doesn't really work either unless you happen to be named Bill Belichick.  

That I'm afraid is where the owner comes in and allows said person to run things that way.

If Belichick were truly a good HC/GM he wiuld have taken Jake Fromm btw.:P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

That I'm afraid is where the owner comes in and allows said person to run things that way.

If Belichick were truly a good HC/GM he wiuld have taken Jake Fromm btw.:P

Yeah, i've just seen so many systems like that not work.  I mean, Holmgren was sub .500 as GM/coach before getting fired from the GM role, and then did great as a coach the rest of the way (minus the last season.). 

Hey, if BB would have taken Jake Fromm with his last seventh round pick as a favor to Kirby, well, who am I to judge at that point?