2nd year breakouts

Hunter2_1

Which second year players do you expect to breakout (that haven't done so already)

mine;

Jeffrey Simmons (TEN) - fully fit now, Casey gone, a beast

Noah Fant (DEN) - was heading that way anyway in the latter half of last season, but now, he will be matched up on lesser defenders more often given the overall offense

Not sure if you consider he's already broken out, but Kyler Murray (ARZ) if not.

Jeffery Simmons for sure, he looks like a potential game wrecker if he can just bring a little more discipline.

Mine would be;

Montez Sweat (Was) - very promising rookie year and playing on what promises to be a very, very good DL with Payne and Young taking attention and the change to 4-3 should be just perfect for him.

Jonathan Abram (LV) - played only one game last year and is now on a much revamped defence with better talent in front if him, if we can use him to his strengths he can energise the secondary and be a tone setter. Questions about his coverage skills will have to be answered though.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, VanS said:

Drew Lock.

He was my top rated QB in the 2019 class.  I could see him having a huge sophomore season.  Denver is my top sleeper team this year.

Beat me to it. A 2nd-year QB settling in, just as two high-talent WR's arrive. 

The 2nd-year jump is a real thing and has always impressed me (except for the random players that regress or don't improve at all, aka busts)

• Like 2

I hate being a homer and you guys mentioned him but Jeffery Simmons. One of the reasons the team was comfortable trading Jurrell Casey is because they're high on Simmons being his replacement. He's now a full year removed from his knee injury, and showed flashes of greatness last year even when many thought it may be a redshirt season for him(remember he tore his ACL last February). I think he could be in for a breakout year, especially if we add Clowney or another guy upfront.

I also was going to go with Ed Oliver but after today's news...ehh.

Edited by TitanSlim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FinSting said:

Beat me to it. A 2nd-year QB settling in, just as two high-talent WR's arrive. 

The 2nd-year jump is a real thing and has always impressed me (except for the random players that regress or don't improve at all, aka busts)

He's my QB target after I fill out the rest of my starters and a couple backups. 

I think Dionte Johnson could pull off a 80+ rec 1,000+ type season and get national attention with a healthy Ben. He showed crazy promise last yr, his numbers would of been better if he had better QB play. I think he could be AB 2.0 for us, probably not as good but not as crazy either

• Like 2

If there is a Saints second year player that will breakout, it'll either be Eric McCoy or Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. Both are incredible talents and future pro-bowl players, in my opinion. The question is how McCoy will handle the transition to move to RG and how much CGJ focuses on improving his game outside of the box. I think that Malcolm Jenkins will be an incredible mentor for CGJ, who shares tons of similarities (though I think that CGJ is more physical). I'd really look toward year 3 for both players to really stand out.

For the Jaguars, the answer has to be Jawaan Taylor. Nothing against Josh Allen and Gardner Minshew, but both of those guys pretty much already broke out. If Taylor stays healthy and continues to take the game of football seriously, I'd be really surprised if he isn't a pro bowl player soon. He was easily the best lineman on the Jags last year (though admittedly that doesn't say much).

3 hours ago, VanS said:

Drew Lock.

He was my top rated QB in the 2019 class.  I could see him having a huge sophomore season.  Denver is my top sleeper team this year.

I really like Denver as a sleeper team this year.  Lock looks for real and now has weapons all over the place.  Really hope the hype doesn’t grow as fantasy drafts approach.  

I think Fant and Hockenson both big years

• Like 2

Homer nominee is Hollywood Brown. Really think he's going to blow up in 2020. He was promising as a rookie but clearly limited/hobbled but Year 2 he should be fully recovered from the Lisfranc. Will be playing at full speed (and it's not like he wasn't fast as a rookie) after getting screws taken out of his foot this offseason, and from the looks of it he's also put a lot of work into bulking up and says he's aiming to play at about 10-15 pounds of muscle heavier than he did as a rookie. He and Lamar have a strong connection that should be even stronger after putting in work together this offseason and just the fact that he won't be missing valuable practice reps that go into firming up timing, etc. I expect he'll be the clear #1 receiver on the team likely looking at 70-80 catches for 1000+ yards. 

Non-homer picks: Jeffrey Simmons for all the reasons already mentioned. Much like Hollywood, his rookie year was always going to be a little limited because of injuries so what matters is that what he did flash looks promising for when he's healthy Year 2. 

MIles Sanders already had 1300 scrimmage yards as a rookie so maybe he doesn't count but he's likely going to have some eye popping numbers as the clear starter now in what should be a better functioning Eagles offense. 

Brian Burns was super productive as a pass rusher in limited snaps in 2019 and figures to produce more in a bigger role, especially if Derrick Brown transitions smoothly and keeps bodies off of him. 

Really like what Deebo Samuel did as a rookie - perfect fit in Shanahan's offense and looks set to step up as the #1 receiver. Especially if defenses really key in on Kittle and the running game he's going to have some big chances on the outside to take the top off the defense. 

• Like 1